What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1755 on: August 19, 2010, 22:51 »
I found some blight on the spud leaves so I spent a right long time cutting the tops off the lot. I hope they will be okay.

You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1756 on: August 20, 2010, 00:25 »
Dug some spuds, impressed with weight (up to normal anyway) Catriona and Maxine, shame there is a lot of slug damage which I have never had before. found a worm coming out of one, do worms eat potatoes? (not a wireworm)
Actually picked a handful of tomatoes instead of the odd red jewel hiding under a leaf, (shame I ate most of them one the way home)
Finally found the spring from my secateurs under a blackcurrant bush, it had jumped out at the weekend.
Found the early seed potatoes I'd bought in March to start off for Christmas-popped them in plant pots to get them going to pot on later (is it too late?)
Cleared an area in the polytunnel to plant 'something' to harvest winter/spring - any advice for a northern crop under protection?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1757 on: August 21, 2010, 09:08 »
We put in some cabbage and lettuce, I know it might be the wrong time for lettuce outside buut we havent had a single lettuce head this year, they all ran to seed.

So I am having one last go with little gems  :lol:

we had a lovely child free morning at the plot and then had to go back up at 7.30 when someone reported a bloke with rucksack helping himself to veg  :mad:

plum crumble

« Reply #1758 on: August 21, 2010, 09:20 »

then had to go back up at 7.30 when someone reported a bloke with rucksack helping himself to veg  :mad:

Whhaat? >:( what happened? Did you catch the b*******?  >:(
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1759 on: August 21, 2010, 09:25 »

then had to go back up at 7.30 when someone reported a bloke with rucksack helping himself to veg  :mad:

Whhaat? >:( what happened? Did you catch the b*******?  >:(

No unfortunatly I took a courgette with me to bash him on the head, we knew we have someone coming on taking veg but it still grates on my nerves when I hear he has the nerve to bring a bag  :mad:

I was chopping courgette at the time and without realising took it with me to the plot  :wub:we have reported it to the police but what can they do, hes not going to hang around for long

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1760 on: August 21, 2010, 18:33 »
i could always let you use my 10.5 llb courgette that i found on the plot today ::)....that should deter them! :lol:

Havengore

« Reply #1761 on: August 21, 2010, 19:49 »
Or...dip his head in a brew of fermenting nettles.   I hate thieves.   

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1762 on: August 21, 2010, 23:18 »
Got stung by a bee.  :ohmy:  

Harvested courgettes, there weren't any there last weekend, now they're practically marrows.  More courgette jam in the offing I suspect.  Loads of tomatoes too, they're doing brilliantly this year.  I pruned back my elderly apple tree which was badly hit by downy mildew and woolly aphids, and gave it a good spray with fungicide.  Picked a few more carrots, despaired over my stunted and whitefly infested brassicas

Oh, and first sweetcorn.  Very nice, but some of these supersweet varieties are getting a bit too sweet and don't seem to have much of a sweetcorn flavour.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 23:21 by Wombat18 »

boosh

« Reply #1763 on: August 22, 2010, 09:49 »
Dug up some spuds, picked some beans and toms, Butternut squash spreading everywere but very tiny butternuts  :(

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #1764 on: August 22, 2010, 17:22 »
Picked a few more tomatoes which now seem to be filling out very nicely.  Also picked some spring onions but left the cucumber alone for another day but very tempted to harvest.

Marvelled at the difference a bit of netting made over the outdoor lettuce :wub: why on earth haven't I used it before ... weeded a bit then watched husband repair the shed roof.  Hoping it will be done by Christmas.   Now in the conversatory watching the clouds coming over.  It was nice while it lasted.

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1765 on: August 22, 2010, 20:17 »
Has been raining all day but did get down the lotty.

Picked some runners, white and red beets, a cabbage, chard, carrots, blackberries raspberries and had them all for dinner with the in laws.  nice to be eating it within hours of it being picked.

also got a few toms and hoed the paths.

all in all not a bad day, would be better if the weather was less wet but cuts down n the watering.

just need to sow some modules with seeds for my winter salad experiment...

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1766 on: August 22, 2010, 21:30 »
had a mammoth day at the allotment, the last of the beds is now built :-) and now filled with strawberries ready for next summer. O/h weeded the paths whilst i weeded (most) of the beds, just a bit more to do tomorrow.

Now the planning starts for the fruitcage and the fence all the way around the lotty after our kindly plot neighbour gave us enough really nice strong plastic mesh to go all around the plot, we just need to get ourselves the wooden stakes to attach it to
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1767 on: August 22, 2010, 22:08 »
marked out another three beds and cleared the paths between them, planted some pak choi, thinned out my kohlrabi and planted a rhubarb, a good day :)

I have this week as my hols, so sorry about the bad weather its my fault  :(

boosh

« Reply #1768 on: August 23, 2010, 17:24 »
Nothing to wet, decorating instead  :( , don't mind the rain just the painting  :(

Guzzik

« Reply #1769 on: August 24, 2010, 16:53 »
Was on the plot at 07:30.  Opened polytunnel, took weather readings.  Then went onto my knees and....................Weeded till 12:30.  Closed polytunnel.  Put tools away, came home and collapsed in chair till dearly beloved reminded me I had to take her to Poole to the dentist......................Nuts!
No, that carrot is a worm mum.................

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie
xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 38 queries.