What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

boosh

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1725 on: August 15, 2010, 20:33 »
For the first time, today I pootled down to the allotment for the sole reason to just be there. Sat down for a bit, enjoyed the view,  checked up on the veggies & chilled out. Loved it!
sounds good  :)

mozza15

« Reply #1726 on: August 15, 2010, 23:53 »
As I'm only a newbie today I simply watered my strawberry plants :) and took great pride in it! haha.

I honestly never expected I'd enjoy this sort of thing...and enjoy it so much! I also never expected i'd be so eager to buy some more things to grow. But i'm sticking to the plan and am giving it a few weeks to see what happens and am building my plants up slowly :)

Sam.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1727 on: August 16, 2010, 01:07 »
Planted out 100 Siberian wallflowers into a nursery bed.
Hoed.
Picked 1 bucket full of French Beans and 1 of Runner Beans.
Cut 2 lovely large lettuce.
Pulled half a dozen beetroot.
Cut the grass and edged.
Cut a dozen or so gladioli.

Made a coffee.......
then:ohmy:

Yelled at a mate to call an ambulance!!
A lady allotmenteer was running around frantically searching for someone with a mobile as her husband had hurt his back and couldn't see. Fortunately we were able to cancel the ambulance just as the call was being made as we found him walking along and able to see but dazed.

Later learned the A&E to which he was taken by car said he had a slipped disc. Lack of sight was caused by pain.  :( At least it was nothing more serious.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

colleensj

• learning......
« Reply #1728 on: August 16, 2010, 06:34 »
Blimey Learner......
Not a normal day at the lottie then??
Glad it turned out to be nothing to serious.

The goal of life is not to arrive at the graveyard in a well preserved body, but instead to skid in sideways, totally worn out yelling "What a ride!".

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1729 on: August 16, 2010, 06:50 »
Yesterday, I marked out some paths and then redug the beds to take out the large lumps of soil I then planted some potatoes for Christmas, and some green manure to cover the empty beds. I also hoed the paths either side of my allotment, time goes so quick and didn't get half as much done as I had hoped :)

Lots of people were coming and going yesterday picking their crops, roll on next year and that will be me :)

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1730 on: August 16, 2010, 10:57 »
bit dissappointed to see my sweetcorns haven't grown well this year compared to last 2 years. not tall and lacking green folige.

Does anyone use a fertilizer called x6 or something similar, get it at melbicks in coleshill? it stinks of strong manure odure if that rings any bells  :lol: 

i used to use small handfuls of this when planting my veggies outside but i didn't do this this year so i think that might be the reason.

Cheryl B

« Reply #1731 on: August 16, 2010, 13:39 »
Pootled with the kids who get soooo excited about picking beans and carrots. Marvelled at my apparent skill which has grown the biggest pumpkin I have ever seen. Going again with my dad in a bit to get rid up rubbish, ready to make some space for a fruit tree in the autumn. Just can't decide which one/s to get. was told by neighbouring allotmenteeress that my sweetcorn is ready - yippee!!

jamima

« Reply #1732 on: August 16, 2010, 14:06 »
Runner Beans have gone bananas :) picked three pounds :ohmy: going to look at thic recipe for chutney and nip to tesco's  ::)

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #1733 on: August 16, 2010, 17:18 »
Watered everything and tied up some of the now rippening tomato plants.  Staked out the pepper plant as its peppers are pulling it over. Planted some potatoes for Christmas, and some leeks. Pricked out late carrots, rocket and two lots of lettuce.  Slug trapped and netted everything ... all with a bad knee!  Sun was beating down and husband brought me out a coffee, does life get much better than this?

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1734 on: August 16, 2010, 20:49 »
Watered everything and tied up some of the now rippening tomato plants.  Staked out the pepper plant as its peppers are pulling it over. Planted some potatoes for Christmas, and some leeks. Pricked out late carrots, rocket and two lots of lettuce.  Slug trapped and netted everything ... all with a bad knee!  Sun was beating down and husband brought me out a coffee, does life get much better than this?

Yes I could be on holiday !! :tongue2: :tongue2: Somewhere exotic and warm.
Woooooooooooooo

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1735 on: August 16, 2010, 21:20 »
Watered someone elses allotment as they are on hols this week, he has grown some lovely cucumbers which he should have cut off before he left now they are getting pretty big. I also dug myself some potatoes from the land owners plot .... he planted around half an acre of potatoes to break the ground up, it didn't work so everyone who joins is offered some potatoes if they want to dig them. I know why now his plots are like concrete but the pots were nice I dug up around 10 foot square for 3kg of baby potatoes :) not the best ratio but they were worth it, plus the sooner they are dug the sooner we get a poly tunnel built there.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #1736 on: August 16, 2010, 21:31 »

I'm trying not to think about holidays - had to cancel a cruise to the Caribbean for next year in order to pay vets bills for one of my dogs, Honey!

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1737 on: August 16, 2010, 22:43 »

I'm trying not to think about holidays - had to cancel a cruise to the Caribbean for next year in order to pay vets bills for one of my dogs, Honey!

Ouch. Thats not good. Im trying to book somewhere for Sept. Cant decide. So bad at making decisions.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1738 on: August 16, 2010, 22:52 »
No ambulance today - just the hose.  :lol:

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #1739 on: August 17, 2010, 07:20 »
Finally got round to clearing the area round the pond noticed that froggy had taken up residence in the stone wall. Made it so I could get down the path past the sloes, three years and not 1 sloe for my gin feel a digging session coming on.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie
xx
Snow at the allotment today .....

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 05:53
by min200

Page created in 1.519 seconds with 37 queries.