What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

gimli

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1695 on: August 11, 2010, 14:19 »
 :)weeded and put in some cauliflowers and leeks and some spuds.also picked sweetcorn and courgettes and watered and now eating sweetcorn yummy
gimli

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1696 on: August 11, 2010, 15:05 »
I cleared the sweetcorn stems to give the pumpkins/squash a bit more space and light.
Weeded and thinned 3 small rows of turnip seedlings.
Moved 2 barrow loads of manure and grass cuttings and piled them up ready for digging in later in the year :)

Tried to dig the bed where the raspberries are going, but the soil is still rock hard there, despite the recent rain :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1697 on: August 11, 2010, 15:12 »
I cleared the sweetcorn stems to give the pumpkins/squash a bit more space and light.

Examined my sweetcorn stems to see how much longer I have to wait before harvesting my first cob!  :tongue2:  :tongue2:

Wondered whether my autumn raspberries will survive any gales with their existing supporting wires as this year the canes are about 7' tall!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #1698 on: August 11, 2010, 17:29 »
Have a damaged knee so limped down to the greenhouse and discovered yet more peppers that were ready but still no ripened tomatoes.  Lots of spring onions too.  Got hubby watering and doing some cutting back and may use the limp excuse (forgive the pun) to get more work out of him.

Zippy

« Reply #1699 on: August 11, 2010, 17:47 »
Harvested some peas for lunch, cut back a Loganberry which is trying to escape across the neighbouring path - to be transplanted later this year - and hoed off some stray grass seedlings on the earth paths.

Someone has just posted an OFFER of picking rights to apples and blackcurrants on Freecycle  :D hope to be busy picking fruit soon.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1700 on: August 12, 2010, 03:10 »

Examined my sweetcorn stems to see how much longer I have to wait before harvesting my first cob!  :tongue2:  :tongue2:

Wondered whether my autumn raspberries will survive any gales with their existing supporting wires as this year the canes are about 7' tall!

I bent mine over and tied them in.... lovely canes... not so sure about the berries yet ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #1701 on: August 12, 2010, 11:13 »
I snatched an hour and pulled some onions and spuds and peas. I also weeded. In your second year does the weeding get any easier at all?
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

jamima

« Reply #1702 on: August 12, 2010, 14:14 »
Sorry not really weeds come from nowhere ! :blink:

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1703 on: August 12, 2010, 14:50 »
Picked CF beans, Mange tout, half a dozen giant cucumbers that had been lurking out of sight, :wub:  a marrow/courgette and two smaller siblings, :blink: bag loads of plums(more jam in the offing)  ::)  and some yummy blackberries which I'm going to scoff for lunch :tongue2:

Paul Plots

« Reply #1704 on: August 12, 2010, 15:07 »
I snatched an hour and pulled some onions and spuds and peas. I also weeded. In your second year does the weeding get any easier at all?

Much easier - you get to know what the little blighters look like!  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1705 on: August 13, 2010, 16:07 »
Just back......I went to pick some purple podded beans for my tea :)

When I got there my debris netting was trampled at one end and 2 cabbages and 4 swede plants broken at ground level >:( Brown muddy footprints on top...I think it's a fox that does it.

It has been on the netting twice before but this is the first time it has broken the crops :mad:......why do they do it?...it's so annoying. it's that or digging a hole just where I've planted my lettuces.....oh joy :(

What with finding mould/blight in the greenhouse and polytunnel at home this morning, and now this...........I'm having a bad day

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1706 on: August 13, 2010, 16:10 »
Last year at school we had to grow everything under net tunnels on blue pipe, and een keep potatoes covered becasue of the attention of the foxes -- not helped by using pelleted chicken manure of course  :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1707 on: August 13, 2010, 16:14 »
not been for 2 days because of this damned weather  :mad: the bottom of my plot is prone to flooding I believe so I may have acquired some ducks as well when I go  :wacko:
I came I saw I grew my own veg

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1708 on: August 13, 2010, 22:10 »
planted 13 new strawberry plants into the wonderful 4 pint milk cartons, designed the new strawberry bed for next year, and realised i need another water butt as the current one is about to overflow with all this rain!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Paul Plots

« Reply #1709 on: August 13, 2010, 23:41 »
Just back......I went to pick some purple podded beans for my tea :)

When I got there my debris netting was trampled at one end and 2 cabbages and 4 swede plants broken at ground level >:( Brown muddy footprints on top...I think it's a fox that does it.

It has been on the netting twice before but this is the first time it has broken the crops :mad:......why do they do it?...it's so annoying. it's that or digging a hole just where I've planted my lettuces.....oh joy :(

What with finding mould/blight in the greenhouse and polytunnel at home this morning, and now this...........I'm having a bad day

Sorry to hear about your bad day - foxes!!  >:( I sympathise with you.... I have the same problem and have to cover all new seed beds with very stout mesh or I find it newly dug when I next visit.  :(

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 39 queries.