What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

Zippy

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1500 on: July 22, 2010, 08:26 »
Planted out Peas and swiss chard on the cleared Potato bed. Dwarf French beans, late runner Beans and broad Beans to follow soon. Salad seedlings soon ready to fill in the gaps.

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1501 on: July 22, 2010, 08:36 »
Potted up the minibel & venus toms to their final resting place, can't get over how wee they are, have I stunted their growth or are they supposed to be that small? :unsure:

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1502 on: July 22, 2010, 08:49 »
Read your posts Peapod, glad to know you have a mobile. When our site was broken into earlier this year it made me wary about being alone on the plot.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #1503 on: July 22, 2010, 09:12 »
When into the greenhouse and cried my eyes out today. 

One of my dogs (Honey) has developed a really fast growing lump on her neck and I'm taking her to the vets this morning.  I think it's cancer.  I've cried to much that I don't need to water the tomatoes. 

Wish us a miracle.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #1504 on: July 22, 2010, 09:17 »
Hugs from me, I really hope its just a benign cyst Lizzi

"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Debz

« Reply #1505 on: July 22, 2010, 09:19 »
Vet, Venus only grows to 30cm but I don't know about the other variety.

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1506 on: July 22, 2010, 10:00 »
I was pottering around yesterday (Tuesday) when I saw a notice saying that the best allotment was being judged this Thursday.  So the last two days have been spent digging and weeding and generally tidying up, finally bagging up all the rubbish that's been lying around for months and sticking it in the black bin at home, getting rid of all the mostly dead cornflowers (sorry bees) and planting out a few bits and pieces to make the plot look slightly less empty now the onions and spuds have gone.  Everything else has been shoved in the shed, I hope the judges don't look in there as they will be killed by the avalanche of junk which will mean instant disqualfication.  Meanwhile everything I planted out has wilted all over the place.

The truly sad thing is that I have no chance of winning as it is only my second year and there are plenty of gnarly old hands on my site who have been doing this since 1956.   These people have no weeds, and their soil is apparently a friable tilth.  I don't even know what that means!!  Ah well, wish me luck...

Good luck for today! :D

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #1507 on: July 22, 2010, 10:37 »
Hugs from me, I really hope its just a benign cyst Lizzi

Thanks.  They are just taking a sample of the cells.  Results back Monday but the vet is hopeful.  Now to try and claim on the insurance.

jamima

« Reply #1508 on: July 22, 2010, 13:29 »
Pulled more lettuce leaves for lunch and watered. :)

boosh

« Reply #1509 on: July 22, 2010, 16:19 »
Picked about 3lb of french beans, will be freezing these tonight,  :) . They have really come on in leaps and bounds,  :) giving lettuce away grew to much in one hit .

colleensj

• learning......
« Reply #1510 on: July 22, 2010, 18:06 »
Well once again I had to do other jobs before I could actually go out and have fun in the garden.....

I finally got round to planting up Rowan's herb garden...bit of a sensory touchy/smelly/feely area for him which he loves...cant wait for all the colours it will bring in time!

Also chucked some radish seedlings in with the lettuce/rocket salad planter today and watered...

Put some more cabbages and carrots into the seed tray in my green house...prolly too late but what the heck!

Had a lovely afternoon once I actually got out there. Bit chilly for a July afternoon I might add.
The goal of life is not to arrive at the graveyard in a well preserved body, but instead to skid in sideways, totally worn out yelling "What a ride!".

Zippy

« Reply #1511 on: July 22, 2010, 22:34 »
Bizzy Lizzy - I am sending you love and healing energy for your dog. /|\  :)

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #1512 on: July 23, 2010, 10:46 »
To everyone that has sent me and Honey the dog their best wishes, a very very big thank you.  Apart from a wonderful husband and a fabulous daughter I don't have any other family at all to share with so your kindness is much appreciated.

Will keep you informed of the latest news.

::) :happy:

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1513 on: July 23, 2010, 11:53 »
Well this week I have learnt  that Comfrey tea really does smell bad and also that it is wise to wear gloves when you are sloshing it about.  Not only does it still stink on hands after a shower and about 6 hand washes it still smealt on my hands the day after.

andy135

« Reply #1514 on: July 23, 2010, 13:00 »
I had a quick tidy-up and weeding session this morning as we have a council inspection today. No matter how you try to keep on top of things there is always something out of place on the day. It's all too easy to concentrate on looking after the veg and forget/not find time to weed the paths.  :)

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 37 queries.