What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

vet

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1485 on: July 21, 2010, 10:57 »
Watered, weeded, picked and went home. Have this strange feeling of deja vue, must be the exciting life I lead.

jamima

« Reply #1486 on: July 21, 2010, 13:56 »
Picked another cue and some salad leaves also spring onoins for my lunch, looks like the toms are about to start ripenning  :)

colleensj

• learning......
« Reply #1487 on: July 21, 2010, 14:47 »
Well when I finally got out there.....stoopid housework  >:(

I planted up some peas, lettuce, rocket salad and beetoot! Weeded and watered.

Sorted out my compost pile cos hubby didn't want it there  :mad:

Also sorted out my strawberry plant runners and the sun shone the whole time  :D
The goal of life is not to arrive at the graveyard in a well preserved body, but instead to skid in sideways, totally worn out yelling "What a ride!".

Paul Plots

« Reply #1488 on: July 21, 2010, 15:02 »
Watered, weeded, picked and went home. Have this strange feeling of deja vue, must be the exciting life I lead.

You and me too....  ::) One day is mostly like the one before - predictable if nothing else.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #1489 on: July 21, 2010, 21:12 »
Hoed the plot
Fed the pumps, leeks and sweetcorn (got cobs yay!)
Picked half a carrier bag of peas (now munching happily)

Also, walked past a very scary man who I haven't seen on the site before, he freaked me out as I was on my own, and he stared at me slowly all the way until I entered my plot.  Was glad for my fences and lockable gate tonight. I hate that he made me wary of the plot at 7o'clock at night in summer - as it was deserted tonight  :(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #1490 on: July 21, 2010, 21:22 »
hello ! I am a new member. . . I am about to head out to my allotment to check it out after a two week holiday. I expect plenty of weeds but not much bother to the plants as it has rained plenty while i was away. . . . I have grown for a few years on a small scale in the garden. This is my first year with a plot . Gone ok so far. It was a fairly abandoned plot so i focussed on clearing part and i covered the rest to kill off as many weeds as i can this year ! :D
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #1491 on: July 21, 2010, 21:59 »
Also, walked past a very scary man who I haven't seen on the site before, he freaked me out as I was on my own, and he stared at me slowly all the way until I entered my plot.  Was glad for my fences and lockable gate tonight. I hate that he made me wary of the plot at 7o'clock at night in summer - as it was deserted tonight  :(

So sorry to hear that peapod. The allotment is the last place to feel uncomfortable. Mention it to a few other plot holders and family members so they can keep an eye out.  And keep your wits about you. Hopefully it was a rogue occurrence. Best wishes.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1492 on: July 21, 2010, 22:06 »

You and me too....  ::) One day is mostly like the one before - predictable if nothing else.  :)

Deja vu alright today -- no water for about 100 yds plus  :tongue2:

Taking more cans down tomorrow if it doesn't rain hard  ???
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #1493 on: July 21, 2010, 22:09 »
Thanks Christo I certainly will.

Most of the time there is someone on the site thankfully.  I will mention it tomorrow, because we do take things like this seriously.  I might have overreacted, but better safe than sorry.

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1494 on: July 21, 2010, 23:26 »
I was pottering around yesterday (Tuesday) when I saw a notice saying that the best allotment was being judged this Thursday.  So the last two days have been spent digging and weeding and generally tidying up, finally bagging up all the rubbish that's been lying around for months and sticking it in the black bin at home, getting rid of all the mostly dead cornflowers (sorry bees) and planting out a few bits and pieces to make the plot look slightly less empty now the onions and spuds have gone.  Everything else has been shoved in the shed, I hope the judges don't look in there as they will be killed by the avalanche of junk which will mean instant disqualfication.  Meanwhile everything I planted out has wilted all over the place.

The truly sad thing is that I have no chance of winning as it is only my second year and there are plenty of gnarly old hands on my site who have been doing this since 1956.   These people have no weeds, and their soil is apparently a friable tilth.  I don't even know what that means!!  Ah well, wish me luck...

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1495 on: July 21, 2010, 23:30 »

Sorry to hear that, in the past I've had a stray Latvian wander onto the site who spoke nary a word of English but still managed to have a twenty minute conversation with me and trampled my spring onions into the bargain.  That spooked me a bit as well, although I daresay he was harmless, and when I was alone on the site I was happier when the gate was locked.  If you lock the gate, make sure someone knows you're out and have a mobile phone handy you should be okay.  It's irritating, but don't let it spoil your summer evenings.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #1496 on: July 21, 2010, 23:35 »
Texted my OH as soon as I was on the plot, I always carry a mobile - not for that reason but I am often late/held up at work.  It wont spoil my evenings at all, but I was surprised how much he spooked me, I'm not like that at all.  Its still creeping me to be honest, he was just so strange.  Womans intuition and all that - its worked for me before

Paul Plots

« Reply #1497 on: July 22, 2010, 03:48 »
Peapod I always make sure someone knows I'm off to the plot (and just as we tell the children at school) - I give an approximate time at which I should be home. (Those at home just add on an hour!  ;) )

Our allotment site is a large one and, despite having been there some years and having a lockable / secure site, there are quite a few interesting, unknown-to-me, characters about.

Some look vaguely in my direction, others do not make eye-contact at all while some stare.

It is extremely rare (almost unheard of I think) that anyone should be at risk on their plot. I know this wont make you feel any less concerned about your experience but don't let it make you feel uncomfortable and spoil the time you spend there.

Even I carry a mobile - they can be a  useful asset:  "Peas are off. Will runer beans do dear?"  :lol:

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #1498 on: July 22, 2010, 08:19 »
well it was a damp start this morning here in county antrim. I tend to visit my plot in the early morning - before the kids get up ! I spent an hour weeding . . Weeds of all kinds seem to grow best of all on my plot. :) then i harvested a lot of broad beans and some peas, a lettuce and a pile of spuds. I am going to make a simple bean and bacon dish . . . Yum !  :tongue2:

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1499 on: July 22, 2010, 08:24 »
picked another lot of peas yesterday afternoon, just got a few left waiting to grow and will need to clear the peas area soon. does anyone leave the pea roots in the soil? i heard the roots of the peas contain trapped nitrogen nuggets that are ideal to leave in the soil? i have been growing Hurst Greenshaft for 2 years, any recommendations for a better variety?

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie
xx
today at allotment......pics....

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 23:21
by woodburner
xx
Snow at the allotment today .....

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 05:53
by min200

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 37 queries.