jamima

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1290 on: June 29, 2010, 18:04 »
Dug my new potatoes yummy  :) :) :)

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1291 on: June 29, 2010, 18:16 »
sowed another half row of flyaway carrots,watered greenhouse stuff and picked my first f1 all female cucumber of the season but yet to try it. watered radish and little gem lettuce and spring onion seedlings. pulled my garlic bulbs up and are drying in the shed (phew what a pong)

plum crumble

« Reply #1292 on: June 29, 2010, 18:18 »
why are you drying in the shed, and do you realy pong that much?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

sorry!

ate some lovely fresh beetroot and lollo rosso lettuce tonight. yumaroo! :tongue2:
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1293 on: June 29, 2010, 18:21 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :tongue2:

boosh

« Reply #1294 on: June 29, 2010, 19:51 »
Picked my first lot of Pak-Choi,  :) this will take over from rocket on my plot, tastes great raw, pulled up garlic drying outside not so pongy. The lottie Fox has dug up some of my spud plants and eaten the spuds  :(  Fed the onions for the last time, beans seem to be picking up  :) Aubergine in flower after taking the advice on this site and giving them a feed.  :D

andy135

« Reply #1295 on: June 29, 2010, 20:05 »
Pulled 30 broad bean pods. Young but lovely and tender. Delicious..............!  :)

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #1296 on: June 29, 2010, 21:22 »
picked rhubarb watered the greens MY FIRST ever cauli has the whitehead im so chuffed

picked 3.5lb of strawberries that makes 10lb 80z in total so far and boy they are blood red in colour and have an outstanding taste and there more to come :ohmy:

dug up some more earlies for tea tomorrow hoed around the 2nd earlies and then came home wi9th a smile

Wombat

« Reply #1297 on: June 29, 2010, 21:49 »
My Cambridge Favourite strawberries have done really well this year - we have had a long dry spell here and I think I have watered them just the once.  Must have brought home over a pound this evening and I keep having to go back every couple of days to pick more as they ripen.  Does dry weather suit strawberries?

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1298 on: June 29, 2010, 21:50 »
o/h did a 2hour stint of sieving early in the day before it got too hot.. just watering for me tonight.. had to do boring "house" jobs..
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Geordie Gal

« Reply #1299 on: June 29, 2010, 22:03 »

picked 3.5lb of strawberries that makes 10lb 80z in total so far and boy they are blood red in colour and have an outstanding taste and there more to come :ohmy:

that's a lot of strawbs. Can I ask how many plants you have?  I have 8 new plants this year and 6 geriatric plants rescued from pots in my garden. The yield hasn't been great but I'd like get my act together for next year as they are one of the kids favourite. 
On my plot everything looks healthy after torrential downpour last night and most of this morning so I just needed to water the toms, peppers and cucumbers. All showing babies so planning a big salad for a few weeks time.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1300 on: June 29, 2010, 22:07 »
Translanted 6 red cabbages and netted and watered everything this evening.Even the potatoes looked as if they were sulking.........by the time I had finished they looked a lot happier :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #1301 on: June 30, 2010, 00:50 »
Translanted 6 red cabbages and netted and watered everything this evening.Even the potatoes looked as if they were sulking.........by the time I had finished they looked a lot happier :)

I've watered but resisted soaking the potatoes - five 30 foot rows of them.

It would be this hot & dry year that I decide to grow spuds on the 1/2 plot that has hefty clay soil rather than my dad's old plot that is so beautiful the soil is brown, crumbly gold after years of working it and adding compost.

I attempted to lift some spuds - a pick-axe and forklift truck would have been useful. The soil has compacted into wonky shaped paving slabs with the spuds hiding below them - solid!  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1302 on: June 30, 2010, 00:53 »
weeded and prepared a bed for some carrots, last nights downpour almost squashed my lollo rosso  :(
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Paul Plots

« Reply #1303 on: June 30, 2010, 01:01 »
weeded and prepared a bed for some carrots, last nights downpour almost squashed my lollo rosso  :(

How very uncomfortable  :lol:

Seriously I am having the same trouble with a whole range of lettuce including coss. My dad is keen to carry-on-garedning and at 95 makes a very thorough and regular job of watering. Imagine Niagra Falls - the plants in his small veg patch need umbrellas!  ::)

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1304 on: June 30, 2010, 01:04 »
ha ha good for him learner.....95 God bless him  ;)

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Snow at the allotment today .....

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 05:53
by min200
xx
today at allotment......pics....

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 23:21
by woodburner

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 39 queries.