What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

twiggy-pea-sticks

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1140 on: June 14, 2010, 23:05 »
We popped up to ours for an hour tonight, weeded around the pumpkins and parsnips and tried to put some netting up!!  We discovered that if we put netting up on canes it erm falls over so think we'll need pegs or something to hold it down? Any advice to these allotment newbies would be welcome :)
My little boy who is 5, got home, went to bed and zonked out, he loves it up there, you can't beat fresh air :)

boosh

« Reply #1141 on: June 15, 2010, 07:07 »
Well i have not done a great deal on the plot over the past few days as i'm decorating  :( I hate decorating, specialy the kitchen.  :tongue2:

harry

« Reply #1142 on: June 15, 2010, 08:43 »
Did some weeding round my early spuds, watered everything. advised to take the tops off my broad beans to prevent black fly, hope he was right. Eat the first of my peas straight from the pod. :wub:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Geordie Gal

« Reply #1143 on: June 15, 2010, 08:46 »
Popped up this morning before work to open the greenhouse vents as it has to be a nice(r) day here today. Wish that I could have stayed and played!

dav105e

« Reply #1144 on: June 15, 2010, 18:24 »
went to my pollytunnel and the rabbits have got in, ate my runner beans and my cabbages. blooming things

jamima

« Reply #1145 on: June 15, 2010, 18:51 »
Well i planted out my cabbage and very healthy looking they are too, also potted on my peppers and Aubergines in greenhouse, and did a bit of hoeing . :)

andy135

« Reply #1146 on: June 15, 2010, 19:26 »
I cycled to my allotment on my newly rebuilt recycled freecycle bike, and nothing fell off it, including me so that was a good start.  :lol:
Dug over half a bed ready for my brassicas, watered the toms, peppers and cucs in the greenhouse, and had a furtle under my first earlies which are in plastic dustbins.................nothing but roots and soil.
I'll have another look at the end of the month.  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1147 on: June 15, 2010, 20:24 »
Marked out where the cabbage transplants will be going soon, and raked in a good dose of FB&B. Nearly 2 full rows of swede seedlings showing so gave them a watering as the surface soil is dust dry in these strong winds. Talking of which I need to go out and shut the greenhouse and polytunnel up for the night. Brrr

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #1148 on: June 15, 2010, 20:47 »
hoed between all the earlies and lates with the help of the wife and mother in law  :blush:
blooming maretail i hate it   :Pwatered the cabbages caulis and brussels

pinched some heads off to red barons and the rest can wait till friday now

mobilekat

« Reply #1149 on: June 15, 2010, 21:22 »
Feeling jealous, am sat in a hotel in Norway hoping that the threatened strike doesn't hit my flights tomorrow, as want to get home and see what's happening in the garden.

But reading what everyone else has been up to is nearly as good as gardening!

OH promises all is well, and that he enjoyed the salad leaves he ate with his dinner!

Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

titch

« Reply #1150 on: June 15, 2010, 21:30 »
Watered everything - and discivered baby courgettes growing - yum - and worked out need two full days up there at the weekend weeding, planting my sucessional carrots, parsnips , and more peas, and more beans, and more weeding, supports for peas, weeding and you guessed it .....more weeding!!
just keep breathing................

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #1151 on: June 15, 2010, 22:02 »
I was going to lift my shallots this weekend but a few peeps have complained their over wintering onions had been hit by the fly so decided to lift them tonight, had few hit but not many and the bulb was a nice size, I also decided to lift the garlic, I knew this was going to be a good year and oh yes, has it ever, this is an average size bulb, and it is the standard garlic not elephlomp.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Paul Plots

« Reply #1152 on: June 15, 2010, 22:41 »
Size isn't everything!   :tongue2:

He says... obviously not in the least bit jealous   :closedeyes:  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

fatcat1955

« Reply #1153 on: June 15, 2010, 22:56 »
Started digging out an open top compost bin, it was lovely dark brown and crumbly. Started covering a new bed with the courgettes/marrows in it, got half way through and thought what is that noise?.Biggest blooming bee nest i have seen and thet wern't happy!!!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #1154 on: June 15, 2010, 23:07 »
I discovered a bees' nest after I had bagged some shrub clippings and rested the bag on a fence panel.

When I went back to move it there was a squadron of bees circulating around the bag... Odd  :unsure:

I moved the bag and, one by one, they disappeared into a hole at the bottom of the fence. Quite pleased to see so many bumblers in the garden especially as they mind their own beesness and, up until then, are almost unnoticeable.    ;) :happy:

On the plot - 2 hours free - cleared fir-tree size PSB and dug through ready for some late courgette plants.
Watered and belthed away to cook my parents dinner   :blink: such a rush!

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 39 queries.