What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1035 on: June 06, 2010, 07:08 »
we weeded and weeded and weeded (by hand) I set the children on a task to see how many weeds they could find in each bed, they did well pulling up every tiny weed and after two full buckets I let them have an ice pop and a sit in the shade (I was still going)  :lol: that was plot 65

today's job is 66  ::) weeds weeds and more weeds.

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1036 on: June 06, 2010, 11:43 »
I dug up my lunch a lovely harvest of new potates I had hoped for enough for me and my daughter however there is enough for  hubby when he comes home aswell - happy days!

kittenkirst

« Reply #1037 on: June 06, 2010, 13:23 »
We spent 4 hours yesterday purely weeding! Oh and i planted out the reduced globe artichoke we bought for 40p- I know its meant to go in in March but thought I would pop it in and see how it does- you dont harvest this year so hoping that the summer sun will bring it along (if it doesnt it doesnt matter- out allotment is pretty big- well to me anyways- so plenty of space).  Our lottie neighbour also gave us 3 nasturtium plants yesterday too which was lovely; so hopefully will have lovely salads soon!

Want to get down after 2 today to sow carrotts, parsnips, cabbage and leek; think I'll pop the polytunnels over to give the seedlings a chance   :)

Oh and we have 10 pods on our peas :) woooooooo!

Paul Plots

« Reply #1038 on: June 06, 2010, 14:19 »
Picked first lot of broad beans yesterday and harvested the first pickings of "Baby Leaf" spinach. Not grown this type before - would recommend it - tasty  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1039 on: June 06, 2010, 17:14 »
Today we weeded again, this time the top plot which was nothing like the bottom one yesterday. We also watered and filled the water tubs which is a joke as the pressure on our plot is so weak (I could weee faster) but at least we do have water even if it did take me an hour and a half to fill one blue tub.  :ohmy:

planted out a replacement melon, we lost the first one, oh and the second, something likes melon.  ???

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #1040 on: June 06, 2010, 17:27 »
Harvested, blanched and froze some turnips that were going past their best. Picked a lovely crisp hearted lettuce, new potatoes and chives for lunch, feed toms and other greenhouse plants. Other than that it is too breezy to be out doing much.  Oh yes and made rhubarb and custard tarts for tea.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1041 on: June 06, 2010, 19:37 »
I popped up this morning to see if the overnight storm had done any damage, to find to rows of swede appearing, a bit patchy yet, but they're coming :D......silly I know, but I was so pleased to see them  :D

scenic

• Scenic blogspot
« Reply #1042 on: June 06, 2010, 19:53 »
hand weeded half of plot ...  therapeutic, 

used the now 1-2cm melon turnip thinning to boost  a pig cheek stew,  along with masses of parsley and sage.  a few shallow rooted shallots came up during the weeding so brought them home and caramelised them too.

my dad called and asked if i fancied 'a few spare courgettes',  have about 10 of my own but hate to turn them down, so he arrived with 6 of them:  fabulous, already large plants with fruit on, which i whipped off and fried with the stew.

cut down the bolted spinach, brought home 2 bags full of leaves which will be used in a chicken curry tommorrow... 

happy days seeing proper food back on my plate. 

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1043 on: June 06, 2010, 20:46 »
All I've done is close the windows in the poly tunnel this evening it's been raining cats and dogs here today. I must say though the rain does do the veggies good, everything is looking so good now. :)

digalotty

« Reply #1044 on: June 06, 2010, 22:36 »
planted 10 sweetcorn plants and put a couple of squash plants in between after weeding and digging over the bed,   then planted 2 rows of beetrooot seedlings ,  put straw around the strawberry plants,   and planted leeks and colliflower , sprouts , cabbage spent about 4 hours there and still not finished when the heavens opened up
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1045 on: June 07, 2010, 11:21 »
Did lots of weeding and planted swede.
The rain has finally arrived so our work is done today.

if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

harry

« Reply #1046 on: June 07, 2010, 11:22 »
Hoe, Hoe Hoe all saturday and sunday , disturbed a wasps nest in my compost heap :D :lol:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1047 on: June 07, 2010, 13:58 »
Weeded the strawberries - not that they deserve it even though its their first its no excuse for not producing one flower yet :D

Dug up few more spuds and shallots (shallots not ready but not looking that healthy so will use as a rather large spring onion!) for tea tonight.

Potted on some left over celeriac seedlings in attempt to save some the ones I planted out aren't doing too well so fingers crossed for the spares

Just had a lovely morning hopefully the rain they promised will come as I need it.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1048 on: June 07, 2010, 14:27 »
weeded a bit till it started raining and the weeding was abandoned till later hopefully  ;)
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #1049 on: June 07, 2010, 16:37 »
Watched John mow the grass :D

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Snow at the allotment today .....

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 05:53
by min200
xx
today at allotment......pics....

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 23:21
by woodburner
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium

Page created in 0.684 seconds with 39 queries.