What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #780 on: May 13, 2010, 00:20 »
Re- measured the plot lenght because the scale drawing Mr Sunny has created somehow seemed wrong --- it is not 25m long but 26 so we have 26sq m more than I thought  :D :D :D

Good --o   :tongue2:

Spare room for a picnic bench!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #781 on: May 13, 2010, 08:13 »
or chickens  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Paul Plots

« Reply #782 on: May 13, 2010, 08:14 »
or chickens  :lol:

eggcellent idea!  :)

Zippy

« Reply #783 on: May 13, 2010, 10:24 »
Planted some red and white onion sets I had rooting in trays to replace bird thefts and dud sets.

Planted some sweetpeas to climb over the back bamboo fence of my sweetcorn patch. Provides support to wind blown sweetcorn stalks and attracts buzzy things, a bit of nitrogen fixing and looks very nice. A different ring on the Three Sisters model. Later a Butternut Squash will go in once the sweetcorn is about a foot tall to give some ground cover keeping watering requirement down.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #784 on: May 13, 2010, 13:29 »
Dug some more  :) I was just going to pick up the rake to level it so I could sow my peas, when it started spitting, so I came home  :(

starry

« Reply #785 on: May 13, 2010, 17:06 »
planted my main crop spuds 2 varieties put netting over a frame that a neighbour built for me (covering strawberries) oh and put some straw around those! built a wigwam for the runners mum did some weeding for me and watered (very dry) had a cup of tea and some homemade banana cake all in 2 hours! could have carried on but had to do some shopping and get home to feed the puppies!!  :blink:
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #786 on: May 13, 2010, 17:46 »
Nothing at the plot, but erected a greenhouse (plastic type) and cleared the windowsills. Cleared windowsills = happy wife!!!!!!

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #787 on: May 13, 2010, 20:01 »
Finally finished weeding the strawberry bed. Don't know where all the nettles appeared from, they weren't there last year :unsure:

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #788 on: May 13, 2010, 20:48 »
Exhausted myself - so much watering to do, the watering cans can get heavy and I don't have any distance to go as the water is at the end of my plot so I don't really have anything to complain about  - its the weekly workout I used to pay for at the Gym. ::) I weeded too and looked in woe at my runner beans - they have caught the frost despite the fleece wigwam my OH put on.  Then I planted peas, swede, carrots and spring onions.  I also looked joyfully upon my purple potato plants to see they had survived the frost - they are going to be pretty potatoes.  I was there for hours and now all the muscles are telling me I was there a bit to  long. how lovely :D :D  Much rather play with dirt than work.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #789 on: May 13, 2010, 21:15 »
the frost got my runners too, it also had a good go at my spuds, however, one of the old fellas on the plot said that if i put the hose on them, it would wash the frost off, any thoughts on this, i did duly oblige but couldn't help wondering if i was doing the right thing

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #790 on: May 13, 2010, 21:23 »
Spuds took a bit of a bashing from the frost, :ohmy: luckily I earthed them up the other night so it's not quite as bad as it could have been.  Lost a courgette plant (have some spares, luckily), a tray of nasturtiums I accidentally left out, a couple of sweetcorn I optimistically planted out and the first lot of runner beans.  Harvested my first radishes and a smallish cabbage.  Bubble and squeak for tea tomorrow! 

Bought some plants from Homebase - they're doing six trays for £7.50, so I bought some celery and celeriac to try, some red cabbage which I've planted out, some lollo rosso and a couple more trays of sweetcorn.  Think I'll keep it in the cold frame for a week or two more though.

Paul Plots

« Reply #791 on: May 13, 2010, 22:23 »
the frost got my runners too, it also had a good go at my spuds, however, one of the old fellas on the plot said that if i put the hose on them, it would wash the frost off, any thoughts on this, i did duly oblige but couldn't help wondering if i was doing the right thing

Touch wood I've never had to try that one out.... but have heard the splosh of cold water on the leaves works but you have to be pretty DQ to get it on soon enough in the morning!!

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #792 on: May 13, 2010, 22:38 »
Lost my runners too  :mad:
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #793 on: May 13, 2010, 22:51 »
 I planted some more runners and Pumpkins as I lost mine,gosh it was a hard frost last night!Took my daughter(3)up to the allotment to plant carrots and Nasturtiums and generally get bossed about...she is a bossy little madam!but we had fun.

Yabba

« Reply #794 on: May 13, 2010, 22:59 »
I haven't even started my runners yet, although I did finish off there bed today ready for them in a while ... when it warms up ... say september ish? :roll:

Then I got mugged by the dentist, which kinda killed the rest of the day :(

Ahh well, at least the chicken s**t turned up, roll on summer .... and slugs, and bl**dy butterflies :D

¥

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.606 seconds with 39 queries.