What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #735 on: May 09, 2010, 19:19 »
Planted out my hardened runner beans,beetroot,sweetcorn and plenty of weeding,mandy made some fencing which is smart if i do say so  :blush: ohh and talked to the tomatoe plants lol  :lol:

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #736 on: May 09, 2010, 19:20 »
got home from work and then earthed all the spuds up a s we are expecting frosts 3 nights in a row !!!!!!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #737 on: May 09, 2010, 19:31 »
Planted out my hardened runner beans,beetroot,sweetcorn and plenty of weeding,mandy made some fencing which is smart if i do say so  :blush: ohh and talked to the tomatoe plants lol  :lol:

You were brave considering the really bad weather forecasts for the next week or so  :ohmy:

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #738 on: May 09, 2010, 19:49 »
Couldnt move in the greenhouse as i had sowed too much lol,so worth the gamble  ;)

Havengore

« Reply #739 on: May 09, 2010, 20:07 »
at long last, my Pink Fir Apple spuds are starting to show above ground.... they live!  I gave them a water to show my gratitude.   French bean seedlings are looking good, as are the onions.   This is a great month to see some progress, just have to keep those pesky weeds in check. 

boosh

« Reply #740 on: May 09, 2010, 20:55 »
Planted out some dwarf kale, got given 4 brocli plants sorry can't remember the name they grow like giant cauliflowers , with a slight nutty flavour so i am told.....have a poly tunnel full of squash,outdoor toms,beans french and runner and sweetcorn  :unsure: AAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggg........so much produce so little land......will have to plane better next year  :)

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #741 on: May 09, 2010, 21:11 »
Lovely, lovely day.  What a difference some sun makes! This afternoon I was mostly .... Weeding, planting my Maris Piper pots, weeding, harvesting some purple sprouting brocolli, weeding, digging in some more manure and weeding! Back to work tomorrow.

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #742 on: May 09, 2010, 21:26 »
Ended up going out quite late since the morning was so cold, but it wasn't too bad (thanks to thermal undies!).  Started making a path between beds with some bricks donated by a work colleague - looks nice, but tricky getting it level.  Harvested a bit more of the purple sprouting, planted out the three sweetcorn plants which survived the cold frame (not sure what went wrong with the rest of them, maybe the seed was too old) and sowed some more directly into the ground (fingers crossed).  Did some general weeding, watered everything with miraclegro.  Fed the birdies, amazed they can still fly after all the birdseed they have stuffed down.

Bridgend Jon

« Reply #743 on: May 09, 2010, 21:52 »
Went to my allotment today with good will. Someone had changed the locks so couldn't get in. Was hoping to put in another row of turnip and plant out my purple sprouting broccoli!!!!

It'll wait i suppose!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #744 on: May 09, 2010, 21:59 »
Dug up last year's spuds  ::)

And lots of weeds.

Intended to earth up spuds but they're being particularly slow at showing through ... one row is making an effort but no-one's told the other two rows ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #745 on: May 09, 2010, 22:50 »
Put up nettingfor sweet peas, and made the neting for the brassicas out of the recycled tramploine netting :) Made some more supoports for my peas and made a little pond for the wildlife. Starting to wish I had waited for the french beans ::) Ill cover them with a fleece but they are going strong and are allready climbing up the suport I gave them.

Also I was surrounded by at least a 100 sparrows for most of the day, they loooked hard at work doing something but not sure what, they ket pecking the ground and the tree and icking up bit of plants and dog hair :unsure:
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #746 on: May 09, 2010, 23:01 »
Finished my digging - at last.   :)Planted out some broad beans grown in root trainers.  Planted out some artichoke offsets.  Earthed up more potatoes.
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

andy135

« Reply #747 on: May 09, 2010, 23:07 »
Put up nettingfor sweet peas, and made the neting for the brassicas out of the recycled tramploine netting :) Made some more supoports for my peas and made a little pond for the wildlife. Starting to wish I had waited for the french beans ::) Ill cover them with a fleece but they are going strong and are allready climbing up the suport I gave them.

Also I was surrounded by at least a 100 sparrows for most of the day, they loooked hard at work doing something but not sure what, they ket pecking the ground and the tree and icking up bit of plants and dog hair :unsure:

If they're picking up dog hair then they're probably nest building.  :)

scenic

• Scenic blogspot
« Reply #748 on: May 10, 2010, 09:08 »
just had an expresso from my stove top little pot, having done 45 mins hoe-ing those darned weeds prior to coming to my office.  now i have to work! :( 

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #749 on: May 10, 2010, 10:26 »
No lottie for me today  :( hurt my back big style somehow  ???

Lee

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Snow at the allotment today .....

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 05:53
by min200
xx
today at allotment......pics....

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 23:21
by woodburner
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium

Page created in 0.578 seconds with 39 queries.