What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #705 on: May 06, 2010, 21:36 »
...........we have the begining of a Parakeet problem.

Which part of the country are you in? London area? I know there are parakeets around Richmond Park... and perhaps parts of Kent.  :blink:

What sort of parakeet?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

kingston boy

« Reply #706 on: May 06, 2010, 23:18 »
They live almost all over RBK, from near to Richmond Park right down to the South of the Borough. They are Red Ringed green parakeets. They screech their heads off and drive other birds away. ive watched them eating merrily away at bird feeders and at one park they let a woodpecker drill his hole and then moved in after all his hard work. As we work hard to grow crops i'm not perpared to lose mine so up went the cage after seeing them attacking my corn last year. So now we have to fight these things as well as Pigeons. The plot looks a bit like Alcatraz with cages on it now

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #707 on: May 06, 2010, 23:35 »
digging!!!!!!!

lot easier in year two than it was in year one.

Paul Plots

« Reply #708 on: May 06, 2010, 23:37 »
digging!!!!!!!

lot easier in year two than it was in year one.

You quite get to like it eventually!

A beautifully tidy and clear looking patch of soil at the end of Autumn is sooo satisfying after a good growing season is put mainly to rest  ;)

boosh

« Reply #709 on: May 07, 2010, 07:28 »
Finished earting up the earlys yesterday,filled the trench's with well rotted manure should help with the weeds and keep the ground nice and moist for the spuds. strimmed round the edge grass cuttings in compost.
Something else i do with weeds is i drown them in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks before adding them to the compost heap, i tell you the smell is unbelivable.... :)

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #710 on: May 07, 2010, 08:19 »
i got comfrey and nettles in the water butt, cor blimey, it smells like a glastonbury toilet :tongue2:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #711 on: May 07, 2010, 12:35 »
i got comfrey and nettles in the water butt, cor blimey, it smells like a glastonbury toilet :tongue2:

we have done the nettles cor blimey is not the word, it stank and we watered the plants in our garden with it, I better have toms to be proud off  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #712 on: May 07, 2010, 13:22 »
started to dig another bed on the new plot and found last years potato harvest still in there....some quite big spuds and not much slug damage  :) So I have a harvest already  :lol:

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #713 on: May 07, 2010, 14:31 »
Picked up four trailer loads of horse manure for the allotment from a friendly local stables who say i can have as much as i want for free  :D
Been filling the compost bins and watering the courgets as they are on a roll  :ohmy: growing by the day  :D

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #714 on: May 07, 2010, 14:43 »
Cleared area for my greenhouse to go at last, although I have to say the small 3 tier plastic one has been an excelleny buy. Watered everything, pulled up more dandelions  :mad:
I came I saw I grew my own veg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #715 on: May 07, 2010, 16:30 »
Sowed squash, courgette, cucumber and sunflowers.

AND THATS IT! (south-facing windowsills upstairs and downstairs now full-to-bursting, as is the cold-frame.)

Need some warmer weather ASAP to start shunting some of the stuff into the ground via the cold frame but I suppose I will have to put up with the house looking like a cannabis nursery for a few weeks yet!  8)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

andy135

« Reply #716 on: May 07, 2010, 17:47 »
I put my last 4 rows of king teds in. It's a new bed so I have been digging and weeding as I go along so it's been slow progress. I can now make a start on the new bean bed at the weekend................more digging and weeding.  :)

scenic

• Scenic blogspot
« Reply #717 on: May 07, 2010, 21:38 »
nearly cried... 

work has kept me away for 3days, got there to find all the beans, courgettes. squashes and the like 'got'  presume an overnight frost....

transplanted some (red bordeaux) spinach seedlings on.

marvelled at the wonder of rain a d weedgrowth!!

Chris C

« Reply #718 on: May 07, 2010, 22:46 »
Weeding Weeding and more weeding....we have lettuce, beetroot, parsnip and radish's poping up left right and centre after sowing loads of seeds a couple of weeks ago so weeding is a daiy job at the moment....i love it.

Wombat

« Reply #719 on: May 08, 2010, 16:41 »
Completely earthed-up all the spuds, not a leaf left showing.  Overnight temperatures here will be dropping to 1 or 2 degrees for the next few nights, so thought I had better take precautions.  Made me realise how unfit I am!  Nice new cat has appeared at the plot - a bit wary of me yet but fascinated by my digging.  Will win him over in time.

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie
xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.103 seconds with 39 queries.