What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

plum crumble

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #525 on: April 22, 2010, 09:57 »
 :ohmy: :ohmy: there's not a lot worse than Aunty's Bad Books Monsta  :blink: Be very very careful  :unsure:
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

harry

« Reply #526 on: April 22, 2010, 12:36 »
My father in law asked me to plant his spuds because he's in hospital, they were just from Aldi, why is it wrong :unsure:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Paul Plots

« Reply #527 on: April 22, 2010, 16:35 »
My father in law asked me to plant his spuds because he's in hospital, they were just from Aldi, why is it wrong :unsure:

Aldi seed potatoes or Aldi spuds for eating?

There's a difference  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #528 on: April 22, 2010, 18:47 »

If you read this combination of posts from Salmo and Iain@JBA - both very experienced potato growers, you'll find out the very real risks of using non-certified potatoes

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=28856.msg345202#msg345202

Also this thread http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50572.msg599384#msg599384

Edit: if they were certified seed tubers from Aldi, that's absolutely fine.  The problem is with using cooking potatoes as seed tubers
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 21:56 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

digalotty

« Reply #529 on: April 22, 2010, 21:00 »
weeded the strawberry bed and also a shallow raised bed watered seeds and generally tidied up two and a half hours fun in the sun 8)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #530 on: April 22, 2010, 22:07 »
Iain@JBA quoted Using supermarket spuds is also a bad idea as they can be from abroad and have all sorts of disease in them.

mine came from scotland! and if there so bad why would they be planted, grown and sold in the first place? its a load of hype just to make you go to the garden centres and fork out 3 to 5 quid on the same things!

like i said me and loads of other people have grown supermarket bought potatoes for years with out any problems!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #531 on: April 23, 2010, 08:03 »
therefor you can probably consider yourself very lucky as it could have been worse.
Staffies are softer than you think.

harry

« Reply #532 on: April 23, 2010, 08:45 »

Aldi seed potatoes or Aldi spuds for eating?

There's a difference  :blink:

Unfortunately they were just eating spuds, but the ones i put on my own plot were seed potatoes :unsure: :blink:

harry

« Reply #533 on: April 23, 2010, 08:47 »
Iain@JBA quoted Using supermarket spuds is also a bad idea as they can be from abroad and have all sorts of disease in them.

mine came from scotland! and if there so bad why would they be planted, grown and sold in the first place? its a load of hype just to make you go to the garden centres and fork out 3 to 5 quid on the same things!

like i said me and loads of other people have grown supermarket bought potatoes for years with out any problems!

You don't have to pay a lot of money for seed potatoes there are some good offers about :nowink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #534 on: April 23, 2010, 12:03 »

You pays yer money and takes yer choice monsta  ::)

gimli

« Reply #535 on: April 23, 2010, 12:10 »
 :D i attached some nettles with a vengeance lol.then weeded and watered.
but what surprised me was the amount of white flies about already  :mad:
of to the garden centre to mooch round in a bit ;)
gimli

plot6b

« Reply #536 on: April 23, 2010, 14:40 »
Only watering today but tonight it's our Allotment sites Skittle Evening at a nearby village.
It will be interesting to see who makes it down to their plot tomorrow if I make it that is!!

plum crumble

« Reply #537 on: April 23, 2010, 16:14 »
phew! just got home after planting out the 82 parsnips in Richy's pots which germinated (out of 100). Watered everything else that was there - onions, shallots garlics, and spuds, rhubarb, strawberries, fruit trees. First earlies coming through with a vengeance, so loads of earthing up. Blinkin's 'eck, it's so warm!

Reet, down to t'kitchen to make rhubarb crumble, oh yes, and something else to eat first.... then out for a St George's day do at t'Legion.

Now, what was that other thing I needed to do? Oh Yes! Take a shower and get changed!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #538 on: April 23, 2010, 17:11 »
Potted on 35 tomatoes, all sorts  ::) apart from Koralik, they look quite strong this year :)

Yabba

« Reply #539 on: April 23, 2010, 17:53 »

I really hope you stay lucky ... I also hope you never end up growing near me :D

All it takes is a soil borne disease and you're screwed, not just for this/that years crops, but for several years afterwards.

We're fighting one at the moment, dahlias not veg, appears that if you're *really* lucky then you can kill it within a few years.

We're a tad selective about where we buy our stock and we still got hit. Guess we just got unlucky?

As I said, stay lucky ... but stay miles away :D

¥

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 39 queries.