What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #450 on: April 13, 2010, 11:09 »
We planted the rest of the potatoes, then tried to work out how many spuds we'd get from 130 seed potatoes.

We probably planted the rows too close (it said 28" apart, we did it about 18" apart ~ guess that means they may become overcrowed and we get less...?)

They're mostly salad potatoes so we're guessing them may be smaller anyway...?(Can you tell we're still learning, lol!).

We also intercropped 1 row of Tom Thumb Lettuces, 2 rows radishes and 3 rows of spring onions with the parsnips we planted last week.

Popped in another fruit bush, this time a blackcurrant. A lady at the allotment said she has 6 little blackcurrant bushes that are about 18 months old that we can have, so we are super pleased.

Does anyone know how old blackcurants need to be before they produce fruit?

We have also decided to try to grow outdoor ridge cucumbers (scary), celery (grew them last year but didn't earth them up and they were deep green and extra chewy, so scary), and also apple or lemon cucumbers (we love the taste and read somewhere that they will grow outside...?). Haven't bought them yet so would love any info one best ones for the North West area.

Herbie

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:11 by herbiegrowsbananas »
herbiegrowsbananas

harry

« Reply #451 on: April 13, 2010, 12:37 »
Just checked that my pea frame hadn't blown down, checked on my asparagus, some small ones coming through. I tidyed round the raspberry bushes and found it was spreading. Does it spread underground? :happy: :happy:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #452 on: April 13, 2010, 12:40 »
new shoots come up every year from the roots, to make more.
You can end up with a hedge of them :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #453 on: April 13, 2010, 13:08 »
Just checked that my pea frame hadn't blown down, checked on my asparagus, some small ones coming through. I tidyed round the raspberry bushes and found it was spreading. Does it spread underground? :happy: :happy:

Raspberries sure do spread underground; my record is 8 feet away from the nearest raspberry having first gone under a path! Fairly easy to hoe the shoots off but you have to keep your eyes peeled!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #454 on: April 13, 2010, 14:39 »

Raspberries sure do spread underground; my record is 8 feet away from the nearest raspberry having first gone under a path! Fairly easy to hoe the shoots off but you have to keep your eyes peeled!  :unsure:

Mine haven't strayed so far - I thought I'd round them up and stick them back in line where they should be.... could do with a couple more to finish off the row  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

whistler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #455 on: April 13, 2010, 19:04 »
We had a huge bonfire and I then planted a double row of onions for pickling and earthed up the FE pots.  A great day!

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #456 on: April 13, 2010, 19:20 »
Planted 3 rhubarb plants to replace my rotton crowns that I discovered at the weekend. These new plants were pot grown so I was able to plant them now. one each of Timperley Early, Stockbridge Arrow and Brandy Carr Scarlet.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #457 on: April 13, 2010, 19:27 »
painted the fence :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #458 on: April 13, 2010, 20:20 »
Watered my spuds then weighed down my tarpauline that had escaped my plot with a huge bag of multi purpose and resecured the canes that were supposed to hold it down (going back tomo to see if its all still there lol) took a wander to the freebie table and am now wishing (and kicking myself) that I had picked up the gooseberry bush that was there .................. mmmm wonder if it will still be there tomo? If so where to plant it?

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #459 on: April 13, 2010, 20:33 »
nothing but yesterday i sowed my peas ashton and premium and covered with netting!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #460 on: April 13, 2010, 20:46 »
sowed some more tomatoes, the first cucumber, some more lettuce and a courgette all for the polytunnel  :) oh forgot ...more marigolds to stop the whitefly :D

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #461 on: April 13, 2010, 20:52 »
Planted my peas courtesy of Yabba  :)
planted on the toms and planted a few more beetroots
then went on to hoe and tidy up around the raspberry's as there were shoots coming up everywhere. Although iv never thought of keeping them or planting them in with the rest of the canes  ::) 

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #462 on: April 13, 2010, 22:23 »
Back from Spain today so straight down the allotment.  Planted some summer bulbs, more weeding and protected my curly kale from those pesky wabbits!

Paul Plots

« Reply #463 on: April 13, 2010, 23:34 »
Planted my peas courtesy of Yabba  :)
planted on the toms and planted a few more beetroots
then went on to hoe and tidy up around the raspberry's as there were shoots coming up everywhere. Although iv never thought of keeping them or planting them in with the rest of the canes  ::) 

I've moved "free" raspberries before and they settled down well.... I'm hoping to thicken and extend my row that way again this year.  ;)

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #464 on: April 15, 2010, 00:10 »
Weeded the onions, watered the lettuce, kept looking in dismay at the tidal wave of ground elder popping up all over the shared half-plot next to mine which my neighbour doesn't seem to be doing anything about and which is about to start an invasion attempt on my beds...   :ohmy:

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie
xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium

Page created in 1.004 seconds with 39 queries.