What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2010, 20:16 »
I use a decent weed suppressant fabric for my paths, held down at the edges by bricks (though you do trip over them occasionally!).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2010, 20:16 »
I tried to dig over a weedy area......but the frost defeated me, the further back I worked, the harder the ground became.  So.........I had a cup of coffee and a Snickers bar while I listened to the birds singing...tipped out my compost bin, chopped up the stuff in there that was too big (I should NOT have put it in), mixed it all up and shovelled it back in....pulled dead bindweed creepers off the fence....cleared myself a parking space....litter picked....and put two barrow loads of junk into the skip...oh and sulked because it is STILL to cold to plant anything - darn it!! >:(
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2010, 21:02 »
i double dug and sieved to a quarter inch, 18 square feet of soil for my carrots... hope it's worth it my back is broke!! never had much luck in the past they always come up bendy

Trikidiki

« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2010, 21:20 »
Over the weekend:

Sowed a reserve batch of leeks. If the first lot are ok I'll pass the reserves on to a friend.

Installed a 1000l water tank. Did have two but some bu88er stole one. Friendly house owner next to my plot let me fill it with his hose (bartered for some veggies later in the season). I'd like to see the bu88ers lift this one.

Weeded round the garlic.

Seived more compost.

First seedlings are emerging under the cloches, ok its only radish but its a start.

superluke2

« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2010, 21:41 »
Garden still frosted can't get fork in!  Still have some Christmas parsnips to harvest. Still hard nighttime frosts forcast here this week. Stay in the warm till next week hopefully.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2010, 21:47 »
I realised how out of shape I have gotten when I had to fill and cart a few barrow loads of manure

I was stood next to a 6o+ year old bloke who looked like he could run a marathon after a full day of doing that with one hand tied behind his back.

Im now quite  :blush: :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Mahogony

« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2010, 22:33 »
Wasn't able to plant anything today as I was at a conference all day but got time to sneek out at lunch and pick up my grow bags and a new walk in poly green house. Can't wait to put it together and fill it up. Missed all the lovely weather being stuck inside all day.
Grow, dammit, grow.

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2010, 00:18 »
Hurrah, a nice weekend at last.  The soil was finally diggable, so I did some tidying, got my first earlies started and planted about 150 onion sets.  I am also now the proud owner of the first blister of the year.  :dry:  At home I made mini newspaper pots and sowed cabbages, summer PSB, sprouts, leeks and courgettes which I'm starting on the windowsill.  I'm trying small successional sowings this year, so I'll see how that works out.  Next weekend, if it stays nice, I'll be sowing my first beetroot and carrot seeds.

harry

« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2010, 12:02 »
i dug another couple of beds, put some raspberry canes in and started to weed round my asparagus crowns. It was a gloriously sunny weekend in Llandudno. Heavy frost again this morning glad i wasn't tempted to plant my early spuds. :nowink: ::) :( ;) :) :dry:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2010, 13:09 »
I tidied up the weeds on the outside of my rabbit fencing.  Weeded around the raspberries and mulched the raspberry area with manure in the hope of suppressing weeds.  Got rid of the cabbages which had gone rotten.  Put some clear plastic sheeting in the hope of warming the soil on one bed.  Admired the neighbours new shed.  And pulled up three Swedes. Anyone know how long these will last in the ground now?  The foliage is dead.

plum crumble

« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2010, 13:13 »
sweet pea 2 - which site you on then? You can't be too far from moi - I'm on the College Rd site in Cippenham.

Just popped outside in my lunch hour - HOW GORGEOUS is it out there? And I have to be in an office.  :( :(
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2010, 13:39 »
The Myrke, just off the Road down to Datchet (by Upton Court Park).  This was Saturdays work.  I am sitting in the office today looking longfully out of the window. :(

plum crumble

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2010, 14:39 »
 :( I know - let me out!!!!

Brian Green fingers

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2010, 15:12 »
I've literally just put in my red onion sets and sown my leek seeds into modules. I did the Garlic last week. Fingers crossed :)

Yabba

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2010, 16:50 »
Just spent a knackering day ripping out the partition between two of our greenhouses. Unfortunately it's because we're gonna be replacing it for a wall and one of the greenhouse will become a stock room :(

¥

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 36 queries.