What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

granjan

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #630 on: April 30, 2010, 17:54 »
I've basically spent the day on my knees digging out dandelions, there were none a week ago and there's loads now! I don't know why I bother though as my neighbours garden is full of them and they just come back again and again......... would it be wicked of me to sprinkle some lawn weedkiller on hers when she's not looking it's mainly dandelions rather than grass anyway?

Is it my imagination or is it a bumper year for dandelions?  They're everywhere, at the allotment, all over the verges and in my lawns even though I mowed them quite closely this time and hand picked any flowers that I saw.

I missed my planned trip to the allotment today as we went to see Jools Holland at Warwick Art Centre last night to celebrate our wedding anniversary and fell asleep on the sofa after lunch and it keeps raining. All that excitement!  It was a great night though.  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #631 on: April 30, 2010, 21:47 »
I've basically spent the day on my knees digging out dandelions, there were none a week ago and there's loads now! I don't know why I bother though as my neighbours garden is full of them and they just come back again and again......... would it be wicked of me to sprinkle some lawn weedkiller on hers when she's not looking it's mainly dandelions rather than grass anyway?

Is it my imagination or is it a bumper year for dandelions?  They're everywhere, at the allotment, all over the verges and in my lawns even though I mowed them quite closely this time and hand picked any flowers that I saw.

I missed my planned trip to the allotment today as we went to see Jools Holland at Warwick Art Centre last night to celebrate our wedding anniversary and fell asleep on the sofa after lunch and it keeps raining. All that excitement!  It was a great night though.  :)

Strange that you should mention bumper dandelion crop!!

My plot's grass paths are plastered with them.... a golden glow all over the place. I wish I had taken time to get the strimmer working when I visited yesterday. Instead I nipped round with a dutch-hoe and chopped their dazzling little heads off  :tongue2: - Can't be doing with that lot setting seeds and plastering the plot  :tongue2: as pretty as they looked  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #632 on: April 30, 2010, 22:52 »
spent 2 houir getting rid of fox glove still i suppose it will be back  :blush:

boosh

« Reply #633 on: May 01, 2010, 16:45 »
Spent a couple hours this morning earthing up the spuds just incase we do get this cold snap they are on about, meant to be dropping to -2 sunday night according to accuweather website, tops of spuds were just poking throught.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #634 on: May 01, 2010, 16:59 »
Planted out the french beans and made a frame for them, planted the rest of the spuds, sowed some more carrots and planted out a goose berry bush and a blue berry bush which i got grom flamborough. Planted out a climbing rose and started to train a blackberry bush if thats possible :unsure: However I did scrape back the soil around my onions because they seem to be doing very well. However the bulb which was planted has seemed to have gone, eithere rotted or overwise, is this okay? :unsure:
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #635 on: May 01, 2010, 17:05 »
sowed some more leeks and some red cabbage.
Also a 6 more lettuce ....I'm trying to remember to sow the lettuce in little batches, so they are not all ready at once  :blink:

goodegg

« Reply #636 on: May 01, 2010, 18:43 »
jamie as long as there is green leaves then they are ok

plot6b

« Reply #637 on: May 01, 2010, 18:54 »
Earthed up the Spuds as frost is forecast, mowed the paths, weeded again and prepared some seed beds. I also started to clear my New Second Plot which I am so happy about as it gives me more growing space for Veg and now I have enough room to grow Fruit as well :D :D

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #638 on: May 01, 2010, 19:28 »
Dug over a few more more metres (nearly at the end of the plot now - hard-going now after all this dry warm & sunny April weather). Hiding amongst a patch of nettles discovered & re-planted some forget-me-nots. Earthed up the potatoes. Cut back & watered a gooseberry bush which I'd pulled up & relocated last week. Put up bamboo cane teepee for beans. Hand weeded the onion bed. Planted some marigolds. Picked some rhubarb stalks for my tea tonight.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #639 on: May 01, 2010, 19:36 »
Planted out broad beans, beetroot, chives, little gem, mini iceberg, three kinds of asparagus (probably a bit late).  Started off my courgettes, marrows and runners.  Made bean wigwam.  Potted on begonias and drank lots of tea. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #640 on: May 01, 2010, 19:41 »
what a busy bee  :D

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #641 on: May 01, 2010, 19:55 »
I spent 4 hrs on the plot today. Sowed some more beetroot. Planted out the beans in the new munty frame. Did lots of digging and put in some homemade compost, ready for the 3 sisters bed. Took a risk and sowed a row of fennel. Weeded the dandelions which spread from next doors untended plot. Had a walk round the site and chatted with the other plot holders which was nice. :wub:
S7002122.JPG
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #642 on: May 01, 2010, 19:58 »
Seems I'm not the only busy bee.  You can't let the grass grow under your feet in this game you know. :lol:

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #643 on: May 01, 2010, 20:10 »
Got given some cracking tiger tomatoe plants and alecante of a very kind lottie neighbour,all free aswell  :)
Did loads of weeding and if i see another dandilion im gonna scream  :blink:

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #644 on: May 01, 2010, 22:05 »
 I stopped off on the way to Tesco,rather sneakily I thought!with the intention of earthing up a few spuds and only took a hoe.Well,when I got there,the whole lot had surfaced so it took ages.Then I hoed the weeds...and hoed..just a couple of days of rain and the plot is covered!

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob

Page created in 1.338 seconds with 38 queries.