What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

andy135

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #480 on: April 16, 2010, 19:58 »
I planted 120 onion sets, sowed half a row of carrots between them, watered my 1st earlies which are in plastic dustbins, watered 1st row of peas which are now about 1" high. Broad beans which are about 6" high in paper pots are going in tomorrow.
My back is getting stronger, but it's still complaining. The weather is brilliant. :)

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #481 on: April 17, 2010, 00:21 »
No watering done!! But I did harvest my very first spears of asparagus!! Its sat in a large glass of water just waiting for the other spears. Mind you I might just eat them tomorrow with a poached egg, yum yum.

recipie please lol.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #482 on: April 17, 2010, 00:30 »
I dug 5 small pits and refilled them with homemade compost and soil mix, so now have 5  mounds settling down for my Squashes.

Crown Prince and Hooligans this yr cant wait to taste them.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #483 on: April 17, 2010, 09:24 »
built a munty frame!  :D

titch

« Reply #484 on: April 17, 2010, 15:57 »
Finally got me spuds in, such alovley day, amd now weeding the dug over bits ready for some black plastic to go down tomorrow so I don't have to weed it again before planting!!! Am still on the plot now, sun is shining, got a cup of tea and planning what's going where.
just keep breathing................

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #485 on: April 17, 2010, 16:07 »
Potted on tomatoes and chillies. Planted out 3 troughs and a tub with bedding plants. Made blackberry cordial from some of last years harvest (still got 20lb in the freezer). Sat and had a nice cool cocktail of cordial and gin. Will do some hoeing later but too warm at the mo.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #486 on: April 17, 2010, 17:18 »
I dug over the greenhouse beds and fixed the collapsing potting bench :D

plum crumble

« Reply #487 on: April 17, 2010, 18:25 »
built my brassica tunnels from debris netting, canes and water pipe. OOH, everyone walking past have stopped and admired. Can't wait to see their faces when my new Munty frame goes up tomorrow  :blush:.
What a lovely day it has been - and still is of course - had to tear myself away or we'd never eat today!
Just watered everything in the greenhouse - happy to report that 67 out of 100 parsnips are now showing in my Richy's paper pots. Will put them in the ground tomorrow, but will also sew my leftover snip seeds directly into the ground and cover with inverted plastic pint glasses which the feller next door just gave me - 30 of! He always grows his like that. Will be interested to see the results. ::)
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #488 on: April 17, 2010, 18:29 »
Put in a few more strawberry plants recieved as a gift!
Weeded, watered, gossiped and sunned myself. 8)
Watered my neighbours seedling as I have for the last ten days, trouble is they're grounded in Portugal, so I'd better keep watering until the volcanic ash clears! ::)

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #489 on: April 17, 2010, 18:48 »
watered all seeds and seedlings in greenhouse , sowed some more french climbing beans as a back up , noticed about sixty out of a hundred peas popped up. sowed another row of carrots without a fleece covering. had to keep coming out of the greenhouse cos it was so hot in there. Potted on some toms (Marmade beefy,Moneymaker, Gardeners Delight, and Sweet Millions ). Watered radishes under the cloche , fed spring cabbages onions,spring onions , and garlic. :D

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #490 on: April 17, 2010, 20:40 »
Planted first couple of rows of potatoes (Pentland Javelin), did some more digging and had a lovely afternoon.  OH built a compost bin.  Ooh and watered friend's greenhouse plants as he is stranded in Romania.  Let's hope for more sun tomorrow - still so much to do.  Now enjoying a glass of wine (much deserved me thinks)

whistler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #491 on: April 17, 2010, 20:51 »
Planted two rows of 'white gem' parsnips, two row of Marian' swedes, put in my'norli' mange tout and netted them. Drank loads of coffee and sat in the sun.  Also had to do lots of watering.  I'll probably be shot for saying it, but we could really do with some rain, the water butt is half empty as is my glass of wine! Bye!

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #492 on: April 17, 2010, 21:50 »
I watered a few things as its been a hot last few days here! Was only at the allotment half an hour though :(

I wanted to put the rest of my potatos in and had planned to spend the day at the allotment.. That was until my son (2 and a half) decided to climb out of his cot and fall the 4 foot to the floor in the middle of the night!

He was screaming for ages and had a sore foot but think it was mainly shock. I was so worried, i thought he had broken his ankle or something!

Anyway today was spent buying a new 'big boys' bed and fitting a new stairgate.. Oh and fitting a new power shower. I got proper annoyed at the bed instructions and it ended up taking a while!

Maybe tomorrow will go more to plan :)

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #493 on: April 18, 2010, 07:19 »
Three rows of potatoes in, and then my kind neighbour three plots down discovered three crowns of rhubarb in my compost heap!!!! So we attended to them and planted them - thanks Malcolm!!!!

PS - he even found me a long handled Hoe as I don't have one, what a star!

Hoping to get onion sets in this week, while I wait for my 8' bean canes to arrive. Oh, and a major rebuild of my collapsed compost bins is on the cards too......

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #494 on: April 18, 2010, 09:42 »
Oh dear..my first regular post and I know this sounds crazy..but...

Half a row of cabbage out under cloches (they were just getting far too large in their pots so it was a risk I had to take).

Cloches in place over rows for courgettes. Started more corn, brocolli, cauliflower and cabbage. Weeded strawberry bed. Planted more snow peas, radish and pak choi in what I call my "progressive" bed. Picked baby spinich from the greenhouse. Fertilized Tumbling Tom baskets and grape vine.

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.645 seconds with 38 queries.