What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

A. Fallowfield

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #390 on: April 07, 2010, 18:54 »
A rainy day, but it spurred me on to catch more rain water. My two butts fitted with an overflow!

Lots of talking done as well; told I mustn't plant runner beans untill 13th May!

Paul Plots

« Reply #391 on: April 07, 2010, 19:05 »
That's a rather good looking job!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #392 on: April 07, 2010, 22:40 »
Hiya, we only got our allotment last week, and were worried we would be really behind all the established growers, but there doesn't seem to have been much going on there, probably cos it's been raining so much  ::)

We went up last week and rotivated, and went today and raked up any weeds (much less than we expected but there's time, lol). We planted parsnip seeds (not very confident about them, but we'll see), 100 red baron onion sets and 100 white onion sets (don't remember the name).

We also planted 3 redcurrant bushes and 1 whitecurrant. We hope to have around 12 in total, definitely want blackcurrants as the ones in the garden were really productive last year  :)

We haven't planted the spuds yet, the ground is pretty wet still and we don't want to lose any...? We'll get them in over the weekend or next week sometime.

Herbie
herbiegrowsbananas

Paul Plots

« Reply #393 on: April 07, 2010, 23:09 »
Sounds a brilliant start Herbie...   ;)

Keep an eye out for any weeds that grow and slice the blighters through with the hoe...

Here's wishing you the best of luck  :)

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #394 on: April 07, 2010, 23:33 »
Little one planted his 5 seed potatoes in the potato grower I got him, he planted some red and white onions and then managed to drench his jacket, lying on a stool, with his first attempt with a hosepipe  :nowink:
One of the fellow allotmenteers rotavated for me yesterday. Thanks Bob  ;)
Nothing tomorrow at a funeral but Friday might make a start on greenhouse  :wacko:
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Paul Plots

« Reply #395 on: April 07, 2010, 23:55 »
Sorry to hear about the funeral Dexyblue  :(

Chris B

« Reply #396 on: April 08, 2010, 08:17 »
All my 1st and 2nd earlies are now in and also all my onion sets. Just managed to build the greenhouse I was generously given. With the help of the guys down at the allotment it is now glazed and ready for action?

Can I ask is it a Sulphur Candle that I need to get rid of any fungi in the greenhouse :unsure:

Was thinking of putting my Parsnip seeds in the ground this weekend - What does everyone think?

My little girl has sown her Pumpkin seeds in pots in the potting shed - She can't wait for Halloween now to show off her Giant pumpkin lol ha ha.

Just hope the weather stays dry now?

harry

« Reply #397 on: April 08, 2010, 08:48 »
Went last night had to put my tool locker together again after it blew over, managed to start on a frame for my peas, which according to the write up grow to 8 ft :unsure:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #398 on: April 08, 2010, 10:23 »
All my 1st and 2nd earlies are now in and also all my onion sets. Just managed to build the greenhouse I was generously given. With the help of the guys down at the allotment it is now glazed and ready for action?

Can I ask is it a Sulphur Candle that I need to get rid of any fungi in the greenhouse :unsure:

Was thinking of putting my Parsnip seeds in the ground this weekend - What does everyone think?

My little girl has sown her Pumpkin seeds in pots in the potting shed - She can't wait for Halloween now to show off her Giant pumpkin lol ha ha.

Just hope the weather stays dry now?

yip sulphur candle it is.seal any gaps put it on the floor,light it and run lol.
keep the greenhouse closed for at least 12 hrs after lighting.

gypsy

« Reply #399 on: April 08, 2010, 13:05 »
Today I planted broad beans plants outside, planted radish in an old bath, watercress in a pot inside and salsify 1/2 in toilet rolls as I did not have enough to do them all, and 1/2 in paper pots.
Catherine

Snoop

« Reply #400 on: April 08, 2010, 17:42 »
Dug up plants now finished. Weeded and watered. Amazed that most of the beds are actually pretty well ready to go!

Admired broad beans (again!). Can't believe we'll actually get a crop this year. In previous years the flowers have been damaged by assorted insects and hardly any got pollinated. Plus, I've had a helping hand with the black flies from wasps, so they're looking great this season.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #401 on: April 08, 2010, 18:15 »
I dug the beds in the small polytunnel and built the raised beds, and finally...........

I cut the lawn dah dah  :lol: :lol: It had needed cutting for about 3 weeks, but other jobs like all the sowing, have been more important  :blush:

CazAmelia

« Reply #402 on: April 08, 2010, 20:14 »
I'm a newbie on here so first of all..hello everyone!  :)

Today i planted my first lot of seeds - i planted lettuce, cabbage,cauli, carrots, beetroot, parsnips.  I also planted potatoes - new and old, garlic, onions and red onions.
I also planted a couple of strawberry plants - love em!

I then planted a few seeds of tomato and cougette in pots with a plastic cover (they've probably got some posh name!).

I am so excited can't wait to get my first crops through! :D

fatbelly

« Reply #403 on: April 08, 2010, 20:21 »
Went down to Lottie this afternoon and put in 3 rows of Wiljas, to complement the two rows of Kestrel and two rows of Ulster Prince already in. My Lottie is 15 foot wide so about 10 seed spuds per row.

14 of the 20 Broad Beans I sowed about three weeks ago in Richies paper pots in an unheated greenhouse are now showing.

About 10% of the 200 Sturon Onion sets I planted on the 25th March are pushing tiny green leaves up.

19/20 of the Brussels Spouts seeds I sowed again in the greenhouse are now pushing through.

The spring planted Garlic that I bought from Wilkos and planted early March is up and doing really well.

Also sowed two rows of Parsnips and one row of Spring Onions in Mid March but nothing through yet (not expected to show for another couple of weeks).

Weeds of every description  are showing and being hoed off on sight.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

brewerboy

« Reply #404 on: April 08, 2010, 20:37 »
Completed my allotment shed 5 years after thinking about it. I am pleased as punch despite it not being much to look at but now I will have somewhere to keep my bits and bobs and therby make my plot more tidy.  ::)

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 38 queries.