What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #2145 on: November 10, 2010, 21:46 »
I don't have an allotment just a veg garden so not sure if I am allowed to post here.........

Today I tidied up the green house, threw the tomatoe plants that had very small green tomatoes that were doing nothing.  put up the mini greenhouse we used before getting the glass one. We put this in the glass greenhouse ready for potting plants.

I washed every pot I could find in some Jayes fluid and now have plenty of pots ready for the spring sowing.

Was going to plant my onions and garlics but it got too cold ( i have had a bad chest for weeks now) so i came indoors.

I didn't waste my time though as I made a plan of our garden and the beds ect and  worked out where everything will be planted next year.

We also took delivery today of a big 284 ltr chest freezer in readiness for all that lovely veg we will get next year.

Rather a productive day  :happy:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2146 on: November 10, 2010, 21:50 »
Very productive! Good for you as you have been unwell too.

By the way, of course you dont need a lotty to post here! You could have a couple of pots and it would still count  :D

"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Paul Plots

« Reply #2147 on: November 10, 2010, 23:56 »
2 successful quick-nips to the plot on the 2 free afternoons I've had when it didn't rain..  :)

Chrysanthemums up and boxed for the winter, wallflowers up and almost finished my dad's front garden... the hefty downpours watered them in well!  ::)

Beetroot and carrots doing very well... as is broccoli and "summer" purple sprouting
                                                                          (I did plant it out late  :blink:)  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #2148 on: November 10, 2010, 23:58 »
Took a quick look at my Christmas potatoes - least said best - and sighed at my leeks. :(  Not much else today, had to go to work. >:(

Zippy

« Reply #2149 on: November 11, 2010, 09:25 »
lashed another comost bin (now five) tgether in the morning drizzle. Had to move a rhubarb over two feet to make room. Need one more pallet to finish the job.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2150 on: November 11, 2010, 23:19 »
lashed another comost bin (now five) tgether in the morning drizzle. Had to move a rhubarb over two feet to make room. Need one more pallet to finish the job.

Keep an eye on that rhubarb.....bet you it nips back to the compost heap!!  :lol:

I'm waiting for three to appear where I moved them from...... boy do they go deep.

Someone in Australia is huniting for theirs.... I think I got the lot out! We'll see next spring.  ::)

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #2151 on: November 12, 2010, 09:48 »
Took a quick look at my Christmas potatoes - least said best - and sighed at my leeks. :(  Not much else today, had to go to work. >:(

Just been and dug up my potatoes.  Enough for one boiling from one large raised bed :( :( :( :(  They do look like nice potatoes though if I can console myself with that.  Nevermind.  There's always next year. :)

Springlands

« Reply #2152 on: November 12, 2010, 11:57 »
 Nevermind.  There's always next year. Sounds like a good mantra for all gardeners Bizzi Lizzi.  ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2153 on: November 12, 2010, 12:23 »
Ma, your veg garden isn't just a veg garden it is a fantastic veg garden and what you and Pa have done this past year has been fantastic. Hope your chest gets better soon xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2154 on: November 12, 2010, 14:33 »
Been clearing up the damage the high winds (that battered the North West) did last night.
Completely twisted the hinges off my gate and blown it off, wood and pallets blown everywhere. A couple of other plots had glass/perspex blown out of the greenhouses and one greenhouse twisted and wrecked beyond belief  :wacko:
I came out of my house this morning to be greeted by a wall of leaves that had congregated during the night....about 3ft high and 15ft long   :ohmy:
Wind is still blowing strong  >:(
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Paul Plots

« Reply #2155 on: November 12, 2010, 15:54 »
Nevermind.  There's always next year. Sounds like a good mantra for all gardeners Bizzi Lizzi.  ;)

Sometimes a "like" button would be so useful  :)

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #2156 on: November 12, 2010, 16:00 »
Checked the polytunnel was still anchored to the ground!
Cleaned out the shed looking for rat vunerable bits, and put up some shelves.
Spread more manure! :)

Zippy

« Reply #2157 on: November 13, 2010, 01:18 »
went to local builders yard to ask for the final pallet to lash together my fifth 9and final) compost bin, started to fill it with stored materials.

Played with my new electric shredder, jasmine prunings and small rotting tree branches - all soon to go in the new compost bin along with grass mowings etc.

Harvested last of the broad beans; plants to the compost.

I have enough vegetation biomass now to do away with animal manures, which is where I was heading this year. My plot will be veganic from next year; apart from potatoes which were mucked this autumn - the last time I spread muck I think.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2158 on: November 13, 2010, 09:21 »
That's a relief.... I thought you'd done all of that this morning Zippy then noticed the "today" posting was just as yesterday finished!!  :wacko:

Zippy

« Reply #2159 on: November 13, 2010, 10:17 »
No Learner - today I have bagged up three bin bags of leaves from the community centre I clear the car park for, planted a fern under the horse Chestnut in the border I cleared for them and picked up some nice windfalls for lunch, drove down to the beach and bagged a couple of bags of drift seaweed, returned home, leaves to my home based leaf bin, seaweed in the garage to go down the lotty later and gone in to make the OH a cup of tea in bed - only just getting up!

I have done a half day's work before most folks get up!

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
Snow at the allotment today .....

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 05:53
by min200

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 37 queries.