What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

kingston boy

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2010, 18:57 »
This is typical of Americans but! I just read that a new thing to do is plant more than one tomato plant per hole. This causes them to stress and improve cropping. Anybody heard of it or tried it?

plum crumble

« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2010, 19:02 »
I don't know the answer to that Kingston boy!!

Today, before rain stopped play, I planted 300 onions and 3 fruit trees - apple, cherry and of course PLUM!!!!!
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

kingston boy

« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2010, 19:13 »
I looked at my twin pear tree and Victoria plum trees i planted earlier in the winter and found some good dry rotted manure to mulch round them. I transplanted a last years grape cutting that had a terrific rootball on it. In the cold frame i planted a short row of Duncan cabbage.Watered the sweet peas and onions that are now in dire need of planting.At home i checked to see if the Dahlias are big enough to take cuttings yet. More work to do this w/e as they are about 3-4 " tall now. Very pleased that i can at last start the season this weekend.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2010, 19:41 »
I potted on peppers and chillies, sowed some more tomatoes and some perennial flowers.
Potted on some angels trumpet flowers because they are growing so fast. and then cut back the wild blackberry growing over from the otherside of the back fence :(

oh and washed a load more pots.....why didn't I do this during the winter ::)

gypsy

« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2010, 20:10 »
I planted some onward peas and hurstgreen peas, weeded around the goosegogs and helped my brother who is putting up a recycled fence for me. We came to a stand still when we ran out of fence posts. Hopefully some posts will appear from somewhere.

There's loads on here  :lol:
:D :D :D I scroundged enough posts today.
Catherine

rowlandwells

« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2010, 22:05 »
a very productive day got the tractor started and took three good trailer loads of horse manure given to me by a friendly lady down the allotment's and spread it on what will be my brassicas patch if it don't rain next week will be cultivating my ground ready for setting my onion sets also a quick question for you all i have grown some spring cabbage in pots overwinter will they be OK to put out on the plot will they produce anything the same goes for cauliflower  overwintered in Potts but very small will it be a waist of time to plant them out now or should i compost them?

kingston boy

« Reply #201 on: March 21, 2010, 07:33 »
Planted more 1st earlies. Dunluce. Stated potting up tomatoes and jalapenos. Green peppers will be a bit longer. Planted some marigold seed. Removed some brassicas that were not going to give me a result as they were starting to go to seed. Dug over an area of maybe 5 sq meters. Got quite wet doing so.

digalotty

« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2010, 15:25 »
planted some first earlys and maincrop also put in onions , now i am setting out my plots to be planted
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

rem858

« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2010, 16:21 »
planted 50 pentland javelin first earlies sowed 2nd lot of peas and broad beans a few toms and peppers plus cut the grass at home i think im going to treat myself to a beer or 2 later on

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #204 on: March 21, 2010, 16:40 »
Had a good few days. Got all my potatoes in, reset some onions which had been pecked up >:(  sowed one row each of beetroot, leaf beef and turnips.

In my little greenhouse the broad beans are coming up well in their paper pots. Herb seeds are showing through. No sign of parsnips yet but only been in a week or so. First tray of leeks just beginning to show. Oh and my first earlies in spud bags are just poking their first shoots up.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2010, 18:34 »
Only just got our proper plot (the other one is at school ) and so today planted slices of potato all over the 250 sq m, marked with sticks so I can find them again.

There was a massive probelm with worewrom and the ground has been regularly rotavated and limed for about 18m so I am hoping that most have gone now.

I'll find out when I dig up my spud slices next weekend  :unsure: :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Christine

« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2010, 19:31 »
Did too much today I feel. Erected a small polytunnel from a box (6 ft long so not big). Discovered a polythene polytunnel type object on hoops which just needs a string rethreading - long string mind. Found the pots I wanted for the broad beans (see there was a reason for the polytunnel game as I have no greenhouse). Spilt all the other pots all over the shed which actually now needs a thorough tidy up.

Filled up the very last of the tubs with compost - found three had been defeated by the winter weather so am now sort of four short. Oh dear.

Went on composting some of the soil - job nearly done. Oh yes, planted out the seed potatoes and remembered to label them. Already have seeds in various places - ones that should manage if the weather changes.

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #207 on: March 21, 2010, 19:43 »
I am so pleased, as I managed to lift up three layers of carpet that the previous tenant left for me, and dug over a quarter of the plot, ready to make into lazy beds next weekend.

(I'm really behind and didn't get round to winter digging)

I feel like she-ra when I get carpet up, like I'm Queen of the Universe and really strong !  Yeah - take that, carpet !!

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2010, 19:50 »
Nothing, had a nice day putting the feet up watching footy with a few beers.MMMMMM.
Woooooooooooooo

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2010, 19:57 »
Dug over a fifth of the plot today, dug in compost and fertilised ready for potatoes - 1.5hours. Chatted to some neighbours - 2hours, the joy of allotments!!!!!!!!

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
today at allotment......pics....

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 23:21
by woodburner

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 38 queries.