What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

plot6b

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1710 on: August 14, 2010, 10:22 »
I'm supposed to over to the wifes friends paddock to collect some Horse muck and bag it up to take down to the plots. She's just texted saying the field is really muddy and slippery. I thinks I'll go tomorrow.........................

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1711 on: August 14, 2010, 10:32 »
sound plan....something to look forward to  ::)

boosh

« Reply #1712 on: August 14, 2010, 10:54 »
Since we've got back from Holiday, picked 2 carrier bags of french beans, 1 of runners, 5 cuecumbers , 1 large cabbage ,half a bag of beetroot and an ice cream tub of toms. was only away one week.  :)
But on the downside Fox ravaged my sweetcorn  :(  >:(   :( and my runner bean frame half collasped  :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #1713 on: August 14, 2010, 17:15 »
When something goes wrong these days the familiar and well deserved cry (in many cases) seems to be: "the fox/es did it!"

Pests List:
Pigeons 3rd place
Slugs and snails 2nd place

But...... in the lead "Foxes"

I wonder how you arrange transfers?  :unsure:  :blink:  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1714 on: August 14, 2010, 17:21 »
o/h built the first layer of the new bed...i hoed, weeded, and picked and tried out the new seeper hose with the water butt - unfortunately seems I need a new hoselock connector as the old one is leaking :-( so i guess that's another trip to the diy shop tomorrow
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1715 on: August 14, 2010, 18:18 »
I did go over to the allotment but it has been raining all day so not really able to do any thing, although the rain has softened the hard ground so I will be able to get some beds ready tomorrow for the potatoes.

digalotty

« Reply #1716 on: August 14, 2010, 21:30 »
went and had a good nose today god the weeds grow in a second behind my back but still going good  ::)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1717 on: August 15, 2010, 00:55 »
seemed to spend all afternoon trying to net the blueberries - as well as foxes and all predators, I hate blackbirds, lovely to look at but a pain the the fruit cage, in which we didn't pull the net back last year and the weight of the snow bent the tubing, pushing the uprights into the ground. (not normal fruit cage - more 'heavy duty' tubing). while cutting adjacent Blackcurrants back I found a load the little blighters had missed - might make a pie yet  :) pulled yet more nettles - topical tip - don't pull nettles in a short sleeved teeshirt!

boosh

« Reply #1718 on: August 15, 2010, 14:15 »
Picked more beans and beetroot, Bought 8 Alpine Strawberry plants and 1 Golden Raspberry plant yesterday, will plant them later on today. my 5 Butternut squash plants have gone mad but no sign of squashs yet.  :( . Also planted another 20 leek's kindly given to me by another plot holder.  :)

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1719 on: August 15, 2010, 15:17 »
picked some leeks and some carrots. Plus a few kilos of raspberries, two punnets of strawberries and a few cobs of corn.

Sowed my final lot of winter carrots, too.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #1720 on: August 15, 2010, 16:29 »
Watered and weeded.  Noticed that my tomatoes are finally ripening.  Yehhhh!  Turning some of my attention to pulling out old flowers from planters etc.  Picked some more peppers and spring onions for tea.

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #1721 on: August 15, 2010, 16:34 »
I had a sauna in my home made mini tunnel, weeding and fighting the tendrils of my melon plants! To my astonishment this... see pic, was like a gooseberry a week ago! :ohmy: Its a good five inches now!

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1722 on: August 15, 2010, 16:59 »
Despite the wet went and picked CF beans, DF beans and four more Qs. OH enjoyed himself picking four punnets of blackberries, might have been five but some seem to have got diverted ::) Still waiting for the damsons to ripen fully, although all are black  :happy:

Pellynut

« Reply #1723 on: August 15, 2010, 18:13 »
At the allotment dug up the last few earlies (got scab very badly, but a good size :() - dug all of the second earlies (Kestral) most of them like marbles  :mad:.  The lates (Cara) are still growing, so there's hope there and I have been spraying to keep the dreaded blight away.   
At home, watered and fed beans, cues and lettuce.

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #1724 on: August 15, 2010, 18:38 »
For the first time, today I pootled down to the allotment for the sole reason to just be there. Sat down for a bit, enjoyed the view,  checked up on the veggies & chilled out. Loved it!

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.697 seconds with 38 queries.