What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2010, 20:39 »
What I have done with mine is where the beans are going to go I put a load of horse muck on about 2 months ago, my plan is to dig the trench a spade deep and half a spade wide back fill with all the poo and I have shredded a load of newspapers which I will mix up with the manure, then put some of the earth I have dug on top.  You still have time to do this as runners don`t go in until May.  This is just my first year on the lotty, the advice I give has been collected by reading everything I can on this website.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2010, 17:33 »
Started my path around the raised beds today and planted raasberry canes
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

prakash_mib

« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2010, 17:49 »
FEs in now!! great relief. almost all have put FEs in our allotment
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

tassie

« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2010, 17:52 »
Planted FE today. Also also scattered some radishes around and sowed a few leaks. I need more room!

spudgun

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2010, 14:55 »
Been a lovely weekend here in Cwmbran so I've dug my heart out! last year was our first season, so we only used 1/3 of the plot. this year were going for the whole thing, so I've been digging rows and getting it all ready. (trying to catch up!).

Planted some asparagus, and have separated the garlic bulbs into cloves and replanted. My better half got the bean & pea supports sorted out.

I did plant a Pear, Plum and apple tree just after Christmas, and am delighted to see little bits of green appearing on them!

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2010, 15:07 »
Im planning on getting to the plot tomorrow, might put the first earlies in.  And a few other bits and bobs. i got some cabbage to take to the cold frame at the plot. A front garden that needs sorting and a back garden with a new raised bed that is crying out for veggies to be planted in it.
Thanks
Kris

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2010, 15:23 »
Sorted my garden out today - not the lotty

Bought a new pear tree (well chuffed!), took rosemary cuttings, sowed coriander, basil, toms, chillies, sweet peas and fresia bulbs, pruned jasmine and bought some new pond plants and some bright yeallow goldfish  :D.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

kingston boy

« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2010, 16:41 »
i planted some hispi and greyhound seed in the cloche and watered the overwintered sweet peas. While there i watered my goosegog cutting that are now showing green shoots, amazingly they all took. I planted a short row of parsley, red cos lettuce, webs wonderful and some paris island cos lettuce,absolutely huge with a fantastic taste.Put some marigolds in trays and watered the new fruit trees. At home i looked longingly at all the toms that seem to be just 'there', never mind ,i'll wait a bit longer. Saturday i took a chance and planted some rocket first earlies and covered them up with fleece. 2 chances.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2010, 16:46 »
Parsley!

I knew Id forgot to sow something! Thanks  :D

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2010, 17:06 »
Just come back, completely knackered!
I've been digging since 11.30 (I know I should do it in batches but I've got a lot to do!) - dug the area where my beans and peas will go.  It was all couch grass and stones so it took ages.
The kids and hubby came to help for about half an hour and they then disappeared to cook a Mother's Day Dinner.
I dug my runner bean trench and put some lovely manure and some rotting veg in the bottom, here's to some lovely runners!
And my garlic I planted out last week, quite deep, is poking through already.  Spring must be in the air!

Off for a nice hot bath. after I've sown some more leeks  :D
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Gardener Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2010, 17:23 »
I was up early this morning so went our at 7-30am to move my globe artichoke which I managed to do and make 4 new plants, but horror of horrors when I got to my plot there was a rabbit inside my wonderful rabbit proof fencing- which is no longer rabbit proof as it has got 4 big holes in it. So before the little bunny decided to invite his entire family into my plot I have managed to fill the holes. Phew that was a close one, at least at the moment there is nothing for them to eat as all my seeds etc are in the greenhouse as the weather here has only just started warming up.

I managed to plant in the greenhouse this afternoon, brussel sprouts, spring onions, lettuces, and cabbage. The garlic I put into pots only about 3 weeks ago is now sprouting as are my broad beans. Leeks are also now on their way as well as cauliflower. All other seeds are on my kitchen windowsill (parsley, chives, lemon basil) and am waiting for squash, tomatoes, peppers to come thorough, they are on the bedroom windowsill where it is nice and warm above a radiator.

i bought today some Aubergine seeds,  I have tried to grow these before without much sucess, got Unwins Organic Blackbeauty so we will see how we go with these this year.

Good luck everyone, hope you also had a good day on the lotty today.

GG

Paul Plots

« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2010, 18:25 »
Lucky things - perfect weather for being out and about around here.

I'm still working.... and it's dark!  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2010, 19:19 »
Dug and dug a bit more with a bit more digging planned for tomorrow however fingers crossed should be planting shallots on Weds (however need to check may be wet Weds so will do Tuesday) at last something in the lottie yeah!

Missy

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2010, 19:24 »
absolutly nowt as i was painting!  :lol: although i did pull a weed out from between me garlic  :)

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2010, 14:08 »
Dug a bed and put some shallots and red onions in - had planned to get them in Weds but looks like rain so played safe whilst the sun shone.

Missy

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium

Page created in 1.16 seconds with 36 queries.