What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1185 on: June 18, 2010, 16:25 »
Spent all yesterday at the plot. Have some nice cougettes coming along, rescued the raspberries from some bindweed that was sneeking in. Watered, weeded and weeded some more. So why does it look the same as when I started :wub:

Take some before and after photos - you'll be surprised at the difference!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

boosh

« Reply #1186 on: June 18, 2010, 17:18 »
Cleared the mini greenhouse, planted another row of peas, sowed a small row of Mizuna. Then the rain came  :) , will have to pop back later to water the toms and cues in the greenhouse/poly, and the Blackcurrents have started to rippen,  :) oh and some tiny cougettes are forming  :) the spuds have flowers on and the pumpkins are on the move  :) the lottie is starting to look like a.........................lottie at last, and 5 weeks ago it was oh so different, a bit doom and gloom, mind you the beans still look iffy.

jamima

« Reply #1187 on: June 18, 2010, 18:25 »
Well its rained today so i don't need to water  just put my feet up with a glass of wine  :) :) :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1188 on: June 18, 2010, 19:10 »
Black weed suppressant down on the last of the paths on plot 65 just waiting for the chippings now so the plot can be finished

watered until it started raining and then we gave up

:lol:

gypsy

« Reply #1189 on: June 18, 2010, 22:23 »
Planted more leeks. Tried to fix greenhouse door but cannot do it so it is open plan now. :unsure:
Catherine

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1190 on: June 18, 2010, 22:37 »
I had planned a flying visit to the allotment on my way home from work but decided not too as we had big black clouds.. Took a while but raining nicely now :)

Instead i had my first strawberry of the year from one of the plants in the garden.. was lovely :) My other half has had 1 from the new plants at the plot but all others have been eaten by pigeons! Big fruit netting planned for next year as i have 10 strawberry plants and 20 raspberry plants on the go! Half the strawberries went mad and sent out loads of runners.. cut all off except for 1 as its their first year ;)

Going to the plot with my 2 year old son tomorrow morning to water (even if it rains all night) as he got a new watering can from grandad today lol  ::) We need to be out of the house anyway as we have an open house to try and sell. Have another baby on the way now so need an extra bedroom ;)

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1191 on: June 19, 2010, 03:53 »
Planted another 5 iceberg lettuce seedlings to replace the ones we have ate  :D (boy they taste awsome compared to the shops)
Made a four foot deep raised bed last week for the carrots which finally have showed there heads
Watered the toms and cucumbers as they have gone mad  :blush: and just a general tidy up after all that  :D

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1192 on: June 19, 2010, 21:34 »
It's great to harvest the veg after raising it from seed.  Today I picked broad beans, spinach, curly kale and a couple of strawberries.  Then netted the peas and fruit.

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1193 on: June 19, 2010, 22:17 »
More weeding done, thanks for the encouagement  Learner. Keep willing the courgettes to grow cos I know if I turn my back on them they'll be marrows. Strawberries have suddenly started to ripen so picked half a trug full, also a few raspberries. Very strange the autumn ones always fruit before the summer ones. Cleared part of the raised bed of well old salad and radishes to the compost and then hitched a lift home with my neighbour and flaked out on the sofa with a cup of tea. :tongue2: 

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1194 on: June 19, 2010, 22:26 »
Put some sprouts in, did some more weeding of the paths before the chippings go down, made a trip to builders merchants for more cement and sand for the greenhouse base. This greenhouse is starting to quickly become a thorn in my side  :mad:
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #1195 on: June 19, 2010, 22:27 »
Sowed some more radishes, planted out somemorepeppers and made 15 hanging baskets (I sell them at £5 each to family and friends to afford all the plants I buy) :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1196 on: June 19, 2010, 23:18 »
Had a general weed, dig and tidy up, it was a bit cold and windy just after lunch but cheered up a little bit towards the end of the afternoon, so I ended up working through the evening until dark. 

It's looking good even if I say so myself, amazing the difference having a strimmer makes, even if the battery doesn't have much puff.  I may not have much of a chance in the yearly allotment awards compared to some of the old hands, but at least my plot is looking nice and presentable.

Have some supposed purple sprouting broccoli which is turning out to be nothing of the sort and is producing mountains of leaves and one little head of white flowers.  Might take them all up and use the space for something more productive.  I'm not very keen on broccoli anyway to be honest.  Got blueberries on the way - I really need to net them before the birdies get them.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1197 on: June 19, 2010, 23:55 »
I spent a long time thinking and hoeing at the same time....  :mellow:

By the time I had finished "thinking" the whole plot had been hoed.  ;)
Felt much better after a break in the fresh air...  :)

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1198 on: June 20, 2010, 00:08 »
Did some weeding - but shocking after a week away. Harvested enough for our first full home-grown evening meal - new potatoes, garlic, onion, broad beans, peas, spring onions, beetroot, early summer purple sprouting broccoli, and a salad of spinach & beetroot tops. Yum.  :D   

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1199 on: June 20, 2010, 08:29 »
picking, picking picking

Hubby came home with so many strawberries last night

I was amazed  :blink: so today I om off to make a pavlova  :tongue2: first one ever

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
today at allotment......pics....

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 23:21
by woodburner
xx
Snow at the allotment today .....

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 05:53
by min200

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 36 queries.