What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1110 on: June 12, 2010, 22:17 »
a couple of glasses does the trick....till I get up next morning to find it's still there.....the bad back I mean  :lol:

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1111 on: June 12, 2010, 23:02 »
watched other half mow (one of  my favourite lottie activities) and rediscovered the beetroots under a mass of weeds (now donated to the god of compost). trying to balance the garden with lottie this year -- hard to give each the attention they need.....

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #1112 on: June 12, 2010, 23:03 »
Did some weeding this evening and picked a few tiny peas - like mini mangetout.  They were delicious! 

I'm going to have another rootle round the first earlies tomorrow... 

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

deannatrois

« Reply #1113 on: June 13, 2010, 00:29 »
Dug dug and more dug lol.

I have a new allotment, it was rotivated to allow me to get some donated seedlings planted (altho I know this will cause weed problems later).  I have potatoes in, some onions, pumpkins, peas, beans and loads of brassica.  With the presently unplanted third, I am trying to double dig it (well as far as I can get thru the lower solid clay layer), I am actually sieving the soil god help me.., and trying to get the stones, bricks and small boulders out).

Memo to self: buy a pickaxe asap otherwise I'll be breaking yet another fork and rake trying to thrash the clay layer into bits. The spade is still surviving altho its cracking under the strain!  Fortunately it was the spares that broke!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 00:33 by deannatrois »

Paul Plots

« Reply #1114 on: June 13, 2010, 00:36 »
Harvested my First Earlies. Red Duke of york.

When did you put those in?

Early March

Lucky you to have avoided frost damage  ;)

Living in a big city keeps those temps a few degrees higher.

I'll be patient and stay clear of the smog  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #1115 on: June 13, 2010, 12:39 »
Redesigned my water pipe and netting.  Now it seems more sturdy,  I just pushed the pipe in the soil and drilled a hole in the middle and tied them together at the top.  Two domes per eight foot bed. and extremely portable as new crops arrive.

Cheese makes everything better.

Zippy

« Reply #1116 on: June 13, 2010, 14:37 »
Couldn't ask for better. This morning planting out some potted peas, beetroot and lettuce and sowed a couple of short lines of Fly-away Carrot, Spring Onions and salad leaves, took the dog for a run, did some potting on and sowing in the garden at home, finished my yoga and now its gently raining and looks like its in for a few hours - saving me going to water the lotty this evening..

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1117 on: June 13, 2010, 15:08 »
Planted some sweetcorn in the bed in the garden, and found a gap for the courgettes.watered in the polytunnel and greenhouse. Sugarsnap peas look nearly ready to pick and freeze :)
Need to defrost the freezer ready for this year's harvest first ::)

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1118 on: June 13, 2010, 16:41 »
Put some more beetroot in, then the heavens opened and I resorted to sitting in the shed listening to the radio going through my seed packets  :(
I came I saw I grew my own veg

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1119 on: June 13, 2010, 17:08 »
I hoe, hoe, hoed, and put some netting up, whilst o/h finished the guttering on the new shed, sorted out the diverter for the water butt and found a spot for the new composter.
Now I have to hope that all of my hard work won't be wrecked this week, as I'm leaving him in charge of the watering whilst i'm away all week with work! :ohmy:
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Geordie Gal

« Reply #1120 on: June 13, 2010, 17:27 »
Raining all day so went up just to check the greenhouse and see if the greenfly that I squished and sprayed yesterday have survived. Looks like I have caught them but I'll need to be vigilant.  :mad:

Spaced out the tomatoes as they looked like they were forming a hedge. Feel much happier with them now.

Spent the afternoon getting soaked picking elderflowers then came home and made some Elderflower cordial. Just read that it's lovely with gin!

Talking of gin, it's nearly that time of day isn't it. Pity the sun isn't shining.
GG

Paul Plots

« Reply #1121 on: June 13, 2010, 17:50 »
Allotment today?  Absolutely nothing.....so far.  :(

But.... my parent's garden is finished after all morning and most of the afternoon - just leaves one very tiny window-box awaiting my attention tomorrow morning.  :)

At home: cut the lawns and sat still here for 30 minutes before.... planned trip to the plot.  :tongue2:

This evening = feet in a bowl of warm water  :happy:

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #1122 on: June 13, 2010, 17:58 »
Found my first sugar snap pea today, so I munched with three ripe strawberries!
Pulled some spring greens, two for nieghbours, and one for the bubble and squeak tonight! :)

digalotty

« Reply #1123 on: June 13, 2010, 18:03 »
planted 2 sets of runner beans yesterday and went to check on them today after mins on the plot the heavens opened, my daughter just had time to pick a couple of juicy strawberry's though   :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

compostqueen

« Reply #1124 on: June 13, 2010, 18:05 »
Done nothing on the plot as it's been pouring with rain (torrential at the minute) nearly all day  >:(

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 38 queries.