What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1005 on: June 01, 2010, 18:36 »
i just shot down to my lotty after work as i have tomorrow off to see what  needed to be done and there in the middle of the strawberry patch was a nice big fat strawberry so i brought it home for my wifey and we shared  ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #1006 on: June 01, 2010, 19:05 »
i just shot down to my lotty after work as i have tomorrow off to see what  needed to be done and there in the middle of the strawberry patch was a nice big fat strawberry so i brought it home for my wifey and we shared  ::)

Now that's nice   :)
Far better than letting the rotten birds and slugs get at it.

I must go net my strawberries tomorrow - too wet and too late now... off out soon to my retirement job  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

boosh

« Reply #1007 on: June 01, 2010, 20:03 »
Just popped down to plot to top the big dripper bags up in the greenhouse, and picked my first lettuce and rocket, sandwichs will taste so much better know.  :D

rowlandwells

« Reply #1008 on: June 01, 2010, 20:11 »
just managed to get my main crop spuds in with the help of my grandson the wife came down the allotments and started cleaning the weeds between the raspberry beds before the rain came down :) not so lucky going back on my tractor though both the grandson and i got bl--dy soaked  :mad:still plenty to do on the plots .if i said if!! its fine tomorrow we will be taking a
load of recycled compost that's been cooking  over winter for the runner bean trench our ground is still dry despite the rain  :(cabbage and Brussels plants doing well in the cold frame that's my next task its nice to hear everyones busy on the plot i think we may have seen the last of the frosts havent we? :ohmy:

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #1009 on: June 01, 2010, 21:45 »
Got a load of onions in the ground. A bit of touch and go timing wise, so we'll see how they do.

dug up half of a new bed with my brother.

Had some chips. Mmmmm. Mnom nom nom

Zippy

« Reply #1010 on: June 02, 2010, 09:04 »
Went down to allotment this morning to find one of my corgette plants were lying flat and limp. On investigation I found a big brown slug had chewed right through the main stem at ground level.

Now I don't mind them chewing round the odd leaf as there are usually enough to go round, but chewing throught he main stem meant no corgettes for me and no dinner tomorrow for the slug - stupid.

And how did I know it wsa a big brown slug? It was lying curled up on top of the stem it had chewed through - obviously the roots were still drawing moisture from the ground making a nice ooze on top of the stem for a fat slug to sleep in.

Luckily I have back-ups.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1011 on: June 02, 2010, 11:37 »
Went down to allotment this morning to find one of my corgette plants were lying flat and limp. On investigation I found a big brown slug had chewed right through the main stem at ground level.

Now I don't mind them chewing round the odd leaf as there are usually enough to go round, but chewing throught he main stem meant no corgettes for me and no dinner tomorrow for the slug - stupid.

And how did I know it wsa a big brown slug? It was lying curled up on top of the stem it had chewed through - obviously the roots were still drawing moisture from the ground making a nice ooze on top of the stem for a fat slug to sleep in.

Luckily I have back-ups.

Annoying but it happens - I guess all part of the challenge so when it goes well we feel that much happier........ "Be prepared" not just a Scouting motto  ;)

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1012 on: June 02, 2010, 13:27 »
I've just planted my tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and chillies into the beds in the poly tunnel, I made wee mounds for the cucs as suggested on here and am now indoors to cool down. It's a lovely day, too nice to work too hard.
I've also been digging over and trying to fill another raised bed and am now overheated as are the dogs who are sprawled at my feet, I think summer is actually here now! :)

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1013 on: June 02, 2010, 22:31 »
picked 3 punnets of strawberries

did supports for peas

general weeding
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1014 on: June 02, 2010, 23:09 »
Down to the plot early to dig over ground and plant squash, also put in some more tomato plants. General tidy up and as it was getting warm, home for lunch.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1015 on: June 03, 2010, 07:15 »
watered and looked in vain for signs of germination....come on seeds...do something :unsure:

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1016 on: June 03, 2010, 20:14 »
We transplanted late dwarf broad beans, purple dwarf French beans, dwarf peas and also six Asparagus Peas to see how they grow.

The reason for all the dwarf plants is that it's a very windy plot and my poor ole sweetcorn and runer beans are struggling, poor things!

Weeded loads, I actually quite enjoy weeding, never thought I would, but I find it kinda relaxing  ::).

Herbie xx
herbiegrowsbananas

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1017 on: June 03, 2010, 20:46 »
Made two raised beds out of old pallets for the carrots(soil too tough for them) mandy planted 3 rows of onions and a blackcurrent tree and cherry tree,still loads of weeding to do though  :blink:

Lee

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1018 on: June 03, 2010, 20:58 »
I did very little! O/h however continued the 2nd dig of the first bed on our new allotment.
He's 1/3 of the way through (and desperate to use a rotavator) but for love nor money i'm not going to let him as there are far too many perennial weed roots to get rid of!
The only thing I did was take my £3.99 wilko's ph tester to the plot to see what the ph of the plot is.. registered alkaline all over.. didn't even make it on to the ph part of the monitor.. will it be ok? Or do I need to add anything to it?
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

lesley1322

« Reply #1019 on: June 03, 2010, 21:03 »

Weeded loads, I actually quite enjoy weeding, never thought I would, but I find it kinda relaxing  ::).

I know what you mean i weeded for 2hrs straight today and i could quite easily have carried on...

planted out the sweetcorn & caulifowers & a few more beetroots into random spare ground. watered, watered & watered. now my butt is empty :(
:)

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Snow at the allotment today .....

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 05:53
by min200
xx
today at allotment......pics....

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 23:21
by woodburner

Page created in 1.269 seconds with 38 queries.