help with sour crop but no smell

• 11 Replies

animal mad

• Experienced Member
help with sour crop but no smell
« on: February 28, 2010, 21:45 »
One of my chickens has developed a fluid filled crop, looks like she has one breast! she is bright and alert apart fromthis it developed today, she is still doing all the chicken stuff and eating and drinking. i read in my book about holding them upside down and draining it by massaging the lump, my friend did this and we got some out but not alot, the liquid that came out didnt have a smell to it, and my chicken doesnt smell.is this sour crop or something else, any help wouldbe wonderfull.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: help with sour crop but no smell
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 22:48 »
If it doesn't smell then I don't think it is sour crop.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 22:55 »
Hmm... 

Check her first thing in the morning before she has any feed or drink.  Her crop should feel flat.  If it's full of liquid then I'd take her to the vet.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:04 »
it is still the same size today, but still no smell. i spoke to the vet yesterday and he was going along the lines of having her put to sleep, that is why i thought about trying to giveher a day to see if the blockage cleared or if i could do anything but if this is the only way then i will take her down and see what they say..

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 08:16 »
I don't think a fluid filled crop is a reason to do the deed she may be treatable perhaps even needing an anti funal medicine - is there another vet you can talk to?
Take a look at Aunt Sallys info in this link here and perhaps print it off to show your vet if they are unsure about treatment  :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.msg48355#msg48355
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:21 by joyfull »

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:30 »
Hi, im sorry she still has a swollen crop this morning, it must be worring for you, especially as you dont seem to have a knowlagble vet!
Ok, like others have said, the crop would feel sqwishy and balloon like. If this is still the case then she needs to see a vet. Quite a lot of the members on here have had problems with their vet in the way they 'think' about chickens, alot will see them as livestock and not pets, and a lot have no experiance of them so suggest things that arent really suitable, i.e putting her to sleep. Sour crop is caused by a candida yeast and things like antibiotics can cause it in the same way as we may get thrush after AB.(not the only cause)Whilst sour crop, left untreated can cause problems with the lining of the crop, there really isnt any justification to put het to sleep if thats not what you want when things like anti fungal medicines havent been tried. If you want to treat the chicken, tell the vet its to be treated like thrush, and she needs an antifungal like Nystatin prescribed. As she seems well in herself, it shouldnt be long before you see an improvement in her. Maybe try putting whole crushed garlic cloves or garlic granuals in thier drinking water as garlic is a very good preventitive for lots of things, including yeast/bacteria problems. Good luck today and keep us informed :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 11:09 »
I always swear by Aviproplus after treatment with Antibiotics or for tummy and crop problems.  I add a pinch to their treats (not to their water) most days and I think it keeps them fighting fit.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 11:32 »
Sorry Aunty...having another dim day :unsure: do you use the aviroplus everyday, or just after Antibiotics, or do you use it like ACV and have a break from it? Thanks in advance, lizzie

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 15:18 »
I use a tiny bit each day most of the time.  It's like us eating a bio yoghurt each day - not vital but good for you.   It is brilliant for sick or stressed birds and especially good after antibiotics.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 16:20 »
thanks for all your help, just to update you she is much the same, still wants to eat and drink and do all the normal stuff including laying an egg today! i have finally found a experienced chicken person who thinks she has a partial blockage or slow crop and is going to try and clear it for me tonight, so wish me luck. i will let you kow how we get on.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 07:25 »
HI just to update you, my friend last night cleared the mass it turned out to be hay!! not that i give my chickens hay but she must have been stealing it from the guinea pig house, so no more access to the shed anymore. she is really bright this morning and looking for food, i was advised not to feed her for 24 hours but i am worried she might try and eat her bedding, i have got her in a run, could i feed her soft mash food.

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 07:39 »
no - keep her off food for 24 hours as advised. So pleased that the problem is solved .

xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Sour crop/Slow crop?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 11:02
by pink-chicken
xx
large squishy crop but no smell???

Started by hermon on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 20:24
by Foxy
xx
lethargic, large soft crop, no smell

Started by upert on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 19:51
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 38 queries.