Onion Sets

• 49 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Onion Sets
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 09:34 »
Sorry, weed supressant fabric will not keep couch grass down. It will find a way to the surface and come out where you've made the holes for the onions. You'll find them competing with the couch grass and not able to weed it out.

To kill off tenacious weeds like couch grass, bind weed etc. you need to completely cover the ground for the entire life cycle of the weed. i.e. a whole year and not try to grow anything that may give it a bit of a chance.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 10:01 »
I want to start my sets off in modules. How far in do you bury the bulb? Tip showing or 1/2 way down?

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 10:05 »
In modules I'd leave the tip showing, but in the ground I  bury them (only just) to stop pesky birds pulling them up, before they develop roots.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 10:10 »
Thanks Nikki and then when planted out in the raised bed, i just plant the little module so it's level with the soil surface level? I don't bury it up to the tip again do i? (being thick i know)

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 10:30 »
That's right, once rooted plant them out to the same depth (Doesn't matter too much if its a little smidge deeper). You might want to use a mesh cloche for a couple of weeks after planting out just to stop the birds, although with roots its harder for them to pull them out again.

Good luck.

nobby90

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 15:31 »
....I hope to plant thru fabric this year to keep the weeds down and am not looking forward to cutting all those holes and pegging it all down......

If you fold the fabric like a concertina you could cut multiple holes at once and with perfectly straight lines. Might try it myself.

You dont need to cut holes, just slit it with a knife in a cross takes seconds

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 18:01 »
My onions are going in tomorrow! :D
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

kingston boy

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 18:31 »
Hi , i usually start mine off in cells and put them in a cold frame. I then plant them into a row that has been composted so they get a good start in life. Usually have real good results with onions doing it this way, I still have about 5/6 lbs left but they do look like last seasons crop now.
A question to others please.
Last Nov i planted some winter onions for the first time ever. As always at this time of year i need space, can i move them safely now to where i intend to grow this years crop?

craggy

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 18:34 »
Hi , i usually start mine off in cells and put them in a cold frame. I then plant them into a row that has been composted so they get a good start in life. Usually have real good results with onions doing it this way, I still have about 5/6 lbs left but they do look like last seasons crop now.
A question to others please.
Last Nov i planted some winter onions for the first time ever. As always at this time of year i need space, can i move them safely now to where i intend to grow this years crop?
will set back a bit.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 19:04 »
I've started off most things inside and then planted out once they have a head start, inc onions, garlic, shallots etc. It gives a great start if you dont have ideal growing conditions and cant get down to lottie every day. It regulates germination temperature, protecton against slugs and birds etc.
Not everyone can put regular time  at plot  so I think you can only do what you have time for. I would think that once you have prepared plot well, onions are value for money.

kingston boy

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 19:08 »
cheers craggy i'll give it a go then. They might like a change,never mind what onions think they're getting moved.

craggy

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 19:26 »
cheers craggy i'll give it a go then. They might like a change,never mind what onions think they're getting moved.
Go for it!

nobby90

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 19:01 »

Thats one advantage of living down south  :)  Will be a few weeks before mine can go in

craggy

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 19:33 »

Thats one advantage of living down south  :)  Will be a few weeks before mine can go in
why?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2010, 19:42 »
Because it's colder in Preston than Dorset!!

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
Onion Sets

Started by damo on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 10:00
by plum crumble
xx
onion sets

Started by paul2004 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 15:21
by Dan
xx
Onion sets

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2016, 18:08
by Tom Hill

Page created in 0.507 seconds with 36 queries.