is it safe to .......

• 4 Replies

starry

is it safe to .......
« on: February 28, 2010, 14:33 »
use an extension reel to plug into an out side socket and trail down to my shed to heat 2 propagators?? I will keep the cable off the ground as I have dogs but is the cable ok exposed to the elements it is a proper reel extension lead.
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: is it safe to .......
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 14:47 »
Will the sockets be inside the shed?

hamstergbert

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 14:54 »
Proper external extension leads are best but most modern cable should be OK unless you are leaving it out there for a really long time.

Ensure the end inside the shed is protected from water ie get it off the deck and it is recommended to wrap the block and propogator plug in a poly bag to exclude damp air.

Very important is to ensure of course that the extension reel is rated for the propogator current (unless you have some great umpteen kilowatt beastie of a propogator, it should be OK but only takes a second or two to chek and be sure)    Most extension reels recommend also that you fully unreel them although for low current appliances it should not present a problem if you don't.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 14:56 »
With modern circuit breakers (which you have?) there is very little danger as long as all connections are kept dry. Most propagators draw very little current so the cable itself should be fine if kept out of harms way.

starry

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 17:31 »
thanks for your replies we have just had a brand new "fuse box" fitted and yes I should have asked the electrician then !! but I forgot  :D but I will put the reel in a plastic bag at the shed end as stated again thankyou  :)

xx
Safe Bonfire accelerant?

Started by Hesse2509 on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post November 26, 2011, 17:02
by arugula
xx
When am I safe to put my sweet peas out

Started by missmoneypenny on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2019, 10:57
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 29 queries.