flooded Plot With pictures 27 Feb 10

• 35 Replies

bigben

Re: flooded Plot With pictures 27 Feb 10
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 11:29 »
I suspect sand and horse manure are cheaper than topsoil (unless your getting the soil free) could you add a lot of sand to raise the level and lighten any clay type soil you may have thus improving drainage, the manure might help replace nutrients and add more bulk. As others have suggested do it in raised beds - I dont know if you could get your hands on any bricks or breeze blocks for edging. They have the benefit of not rotting if stuck in water but are not as easy to sort out.

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 13:34 »
I would suggest a little detective work before you comit to raising beds across your whole allotment which is a huge task. Dig a test pit, a couple of feet square and see just what is under your plot. Is this really the true refelction of the water table, or is water being retained by a layer of clay etc. If water starts to seep away through your test pit it is a good indication that your problem is drainage, and a couple of soakaways may solve some of the problem. Pehaps then a couple of raised beds edged with breeze block would give you a year round plot, and the rest of the soild level could be built up with compost, soil improver, grit etc over a number of years.

If the issue is with the water table height I would expect it to be causing problems elsewhere in the local area and your water aurthority should already be aware of it so a call to them may also be a good idea.

I hoe, I hoe, it's off to weed I go.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 13:52 »
There are two things that cross my mind here looking at those photo's. The first is do the council actualy charge people for those plots? If they do then why are you not knocking on their door, you pays your money and should be able to grow crops all year round, I am sure lurking in a council depot is old pavement flags etc they could divert to help with rasied beds. The second thought is MOVE to another site. That is outrageous. Is there no association or owt to take this up with the council?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Thamesmeadhammer

• Tony & Ali's Allotment
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 14:04 »
I pulled out a buried dustbin that had been used as a sunken waterbutt and the clay level goes down to at least 4 foot. A lot of the plot has been left to compact.

As regards speaking to the Council. The plot was overgrown and unused when I took it on. I'll ask to see if they're offer a reduction in rent but I can't see it. It's a case of you get what you pay for. We had enough trouble with them when we asked them to remove the rubbish that had been dumped on there by prevoius plot holders. But they'll blame the weather or find some excuse !

The root of the problem is the heavy rain and snow we have had.
I think the beds need to be bigger, worked and bulked out with manure, compost and sand.
Then the water will drain away, but will take a hell of a lot of hard work. 

Other plots are sodden but not flooded.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 16:49 »
Our site, I am led to believe also flooded, not sure if it was that bad. The site sits below a large playing field by about three feet, the run off went straight onto the plots, the council came along and dug two dykes which are connected to the main sewer, problem sorted. I guess like most things in life, its a post code lottery.

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 17:23 »
If you have clay which is that thick then my thoughts are that drainage is your problem. The water runs into your plot and has nowhere to go. Do you have an association which can maybe put pressure on the council to put some ditches around the site? Not just near you but around other plots so less water ends up with you. Half a day with a mini digger can do wonders.

After that, improve and build the soil level as you can.

xx
Flooded Allotment

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 13:59
by woodburner
xx
Help - Allotment flooded!

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 07:27
by sunshineband
xx
Pictures of your plot

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 08:43
by garddwr
xx
Pictures of my plot

Started by Weessy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 23:15
by Weessy

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 36 queries.