Am I mad

• 13 Replies

brother

Am I mad
« on: February 23, 2010, 14:18 »
Whilst down at the plot this morning I started to think, I must be mad.

I am in the process of double digging and sieving the whole plot to get rid of all the couch grass which there is/was plenty off. A couple of the old boys also made this comment and suggested I should just do a little this first year then gradually do the rest.
It’s not the way ive been brought up, “do it right first time” is what’s been installed in me (good old Dad), well what do you think?.

Apart from the aching limbs and the fowl weather im enjoying it, but there are days (more as time has gone on) when I think I can’t do anymore then tomorrow comes and im there again. Just don’t want to get to the stag when it feels a chore rather than enjoyable.

Here a pic of where im at. The earth to the right was a pile that was all overgrown and has now been sieved, on the left is the rest which I hope to get done over the next couple of days. Then there’s about half the main plot to go.

Oh and any thought on how I can stop the couch grass invading from the path's either side. Should I just keep the soil back from them so the roots cant get in?

IMAG0077 (855 x 512).jpg

craggy

Re: Am I mad
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 14:44 »
Whilst down at the plot this morning I started to think, I must be mad.

I am in the process of double digging and sieving the whole plot to get rid of all the couch grass which there is/was plenty off. A couple of the old boys also made this comment and suggested I should just do a little this first year then gradually do the rest.
It’s not the way ive been brought up, “do it right first time” is what’s been installed in me (good old Dad), well what do you think?.

Apart from the aching limbs and the fowl weather im enjoying it, but there are days (more as time has gone on) when I think I can’t do anymore then tomorrow comes and im there again. Just don’t want to get to the stag when it feels a chore rather than enjoyable.

Here a pic of where im at. The earth to the right was a pile that was all overgrown and has now been sieved, on the left is the rest which I hope to get done over the next couple of days. Then there’s about half the main plot to go.

Oh and any thought on how I can stop the couch grass invading from the path's either side. Should I just keep the soil back from them so the roots cant get in?

wow,i'm impressed.if your enjoying it,carry on.watch your back though!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 14:51 »
My neighbour (an old boy) always says, 'save a bit for tomorrow' which isn't hard, as there's always more to do, but I think his point is just don't overdo it. It would be dreadful if you did get to the stage where you just couldn't face any more (which is possible) so maybe you should force yourself to take a break for a couple of days?

I don't think it's necessary to be too obsessive about the couch grass - if a little bit re-grows here and there it's not that difficult to remove. As to the edges - that's quite difficult. My neighbours used to spray along the edges with glyphosate, but I just do as you say and keep the soil banked back away from them. You have to keep doing it, it's just part of the routine weeding.
Rachael

Christine

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 16:42 »
You do want to plant up behind you once the weather improves to stop other weeds growing. Even if you only put in cash crops such as salad and peas you will feel better abd the back ache will be even more worth it.

Oh and take the wretched couch grass to the tip - don't keep it on your plot or it will sneak back.

There's a chap on my site who's been doing the same - it's not couch though that is his problem though but metal, scrap metal, more metal and further scrap metal. Along with glass. He's keeping a scrap man in business all by himself.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 16:42 »
I really admire your will power and persistance but I think that it can be a bit compulsive pulling all those white roots out and you just want to go for it. You are doing it right but don't over-do it! To keep the couch grass from creeping in I can only suggest lining the sides of your beds with something like used plastic feed bags, compost bags or the like but they will need to be deep-ish in the ground (about a foot) and it will still try to come through. You could spray the edges as has been suggested then cover with weed membrane and put something over the top like wood chippings.  
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

madcat

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 17:01 »
No, not mad - but definitely a saint!!  Respect Bro'!   :D

I have couch that comes from the neighbouring plot and path.  The most satisfactory way I have found to deal with it is to edge the plot ...  it doesn't stop it coming through, but at least I have a satisfactory line to which to keep it weeded.   Otherwise I found I was pulling the grass back into the path/next door - leaving the path a muddy mess and weeding someone else's area. :(  Now I know where to stop and it looks tidy.  Just my way.   :happy:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 17:17 »
Hi Brother, I had to sieve my whole plot last year.
When I took it on it was overrun with twitch grass and horseraddish.
I divided the plot up in my mind and sieved about a foot down one block at a time planting in that block as I went.
My work didn't start until mid March so I suppose I was able to plant at that time, your a little early for that.
It took about three months to do but I got there in the end as will you I'm sure.
I still had to use round up a couple of times as you can't get rid of it in one foul swoop but it can be gotten rid of  in the main given a couple of years and alot of patience.
     Good luck and happy sieving
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

brother

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 17:58 »
Thanks all for those words. Ah Christine, all roots that are removed bagged up and taken to the tip.
On that note I haven't been putting them in the garden waste section at the tip because one of the old boys said when they compost it, it doesn't get killed. Which I thought it would but I dont know what process they use. This is important as our local council then gives it back to the local residents for free so I wouldn't want to pollute someones garden.

What your thoughts?

madcat

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 18:02 »
He's right about couch grass in ordinary compost heaps which don't get that hot - but the temperature they get those council/commercial heaps up to, there really shouldn't be a problem.  Round here they take food waste including bones in the compost collections - that really has to get to cooking temperatures!

brother

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 18:27 »
I did think that the temperature in their heaps would kill it but to be one the safe side haven't been putting it in and it doesnt deserve to be reused.

On the subject off using round up to kill it, I will probably have to use it at some stage around the two tree's we have as I dont want to desturb their roots. Im presuming it's no good using it until the grass is properly growing and how long after the application can you work the ground, ah also would it effect the trees or does it not affect anything with bark and I dont mean the dog.

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 19:44 »
You are right Brother, you do have to wait until the offending weed is actively growing as roundup needs the plants green growth to take the poison to the roots.

Re- the trees, you could always cover them with a plastic barrier to prevent the spray touching them if your worried.
     Last year I had to wait up to three weeks to see any effect from the roundup but gave it a couple more sprays in that period just to be sure, I'm still expecting loads to try popping up this year but I am ready for it
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 19:49 by mr Isaccs »

brother

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 20:47 »
Never thought of putting a plastic cover round the trees, I will just incase

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 21:10 »

Have to say fair play on the hard work .  I had a lot of couch when i took mine over.
 Had a lot of digging all very slow , But got there in the end.
Digging ,Growing ,& the sport of kings.

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 22:06 »
Nice to see your trug is in as bad a condition as my 3   :D

I double dug my main patch the first year but didn't sieving it, I found any of the couch grass I missed the first time was easy to just pull up once the ground had been dug, you just need to catch it before it takes a hold.

Id edge the paths if you can - I couldn't stop the grass creeping into the beds despite my best efforts.

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 36 queries.