Which Toms ?

• 47 Replies

gillie

Re: Which Toms ?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 10:12 »
the only other name on the packet is SEMENTI and sementi selezionata is that any help!!

I believe this means 'seeds' and 'selected seeds'

Have a look at the Franchi website http://www.seedsofitaly.com/catalogue/3 and see if you can recognise the illustration or email them (Paulo is very helpful).

Gillie
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:37 by gillie »

skewball

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 11:53 »
Hi, just a quick query. Which Cherry Toms will do best outside in a container on a patio?

I’m looking for fun ones that the kids will just keep picking at during the summer so ideally ones with a long season.

Finally, as I want to grow them in containers outside, when should I be sowing? I notice a lot of people have already down toms but I assume they are for the Greenhouse.

Thanks.

sclarke624

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 23:08 »
Did you say "orange banana"?   Sounds like a cake.  I'm going to have to google that ...   :blink:
yep got them from realseeds.co.uk.  They were more difficult to germinate, fairly expensive think I got mine free for some reason, not that abundant and slow to ripen.  But worth the novelty.  I also got black cherry at the same time but wouldn't bother with them again as with orange banana the germination, abundance and ripening  but worse especially the germination and not that great a taste for me.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

sclarke624

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 23:15 »
Hi, just a quick query. Which Cherry Toms will do best outside in a container on a patio?

I’m looking for fun ones that the kids will just keep picking at during the summer so ideally ones with a long season.

Finally, as I want to grow them in containers outside, when should I be sowing? I notice a lot of people have already down toms but I assume they are for the Greenhouse.

Thanks.

I think ildi would be perfect for the purpose, you get loads and loads all season, well I did last year anyway. They are yellow small and not quite round sort of oval shape.  I grew outside.  I did start off early last year but you can still start off until at least end of March, I should think.  Start off indoors.  All mine are container grown.
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_july_1_tomato_ildi.htm
Thompson and Morgan sell them but you may find them cheaper else where.

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 09:07 »
I have a bit of a problem with tomatoes, I have no self control whatsoever and every year finds me trying more types than the last!  :)
This year I will have my beloved Black Plum for the third time, they cropped very heavily and very long (I picked the last 3 kg of them AFTER the first frost in October and they were ok for a last big sauce).
I will also try Brandywine, Stupice, Marmande, and Taxi out on the plot. Here at home on the balcony I will have Gelbe Dattelwein (1st time), Ildi (not impressive but we have seeds left over), Black Cherry (1st time), and Yellow Pear-Shaped (seeds left over) for the family to pick and mix, so to speak.

I start the big ones on the windowsills (south facing) in late march and pot them on until it is warm enough to plant them out on the plot under small polytunnels. Then by July they have grown up to the top of the tunnels so I remove the plastic and let them enjoy the brief swedish summer.

The cherries are also started on the windowsill around the same time but are hardened off gradually on the balcony once they have flowers. Once the nights are warm enough they are moved out for good and the bees get to work on them, which the kids find very thrilling to observe (from behind the glass doors).

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 09:10 »
This year I have Italian Plum and Shirley, with cherries being Hundreds and Millions and Sweet Millions.  Ive about 12 hanging baskets to put up for them!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 10:58 »
I'm going to sow my Sungold F1 and Ailsa's today but is it too early for Gardeners delight?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 11:03 »
... is it too early for Gardeners delight?
I sowed mine in Feb with my other Toms, although the Gardeners Delight packet says March, and the others said February.

(If you sow Toms early you need to be able to keep then above 10C, and be prepared that they may be several feet tall before you can safely get them into a cold greenhouse.)

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 11:09 »
... is it too early for Gardeners delight?
I sowed mine in Feb with my other Toms, although the Gardeners Delight packet says March, and the others said February.

(If you sow Toms early you need to be able to keep then above 10C, and be prepared that they may be several feet tall before you can safely get them into a cold greenhouse.)
It's funny because my T&M packets say March onward for Sungold/Ailsa and April for GD's!!

Sowing now won't do any harm then? I take it later plants will catch up?

Thanks for the reply  Kristen....

digalotty

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 16:50 »
blimey £3.50 for shirley toms thats over twice the price of others
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 16:59 »
Shirley are worth paying a little bit more for, and if you shop around, you'll not have to pay that price.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 17:15 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

digalotty

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 17:10 »
im shopping around dd i will be on the case tomorow :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 17:16 »
Bought my last lot in the end of season sales.

digalotty

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 17:22 »
to be honest dd i have several tom seeds already but after reading this thread im dying to try shirley  now as everyone has agreed on their flavour :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 17:42 »
I'd help you out if |I had any left - but they are the one thing I've run out of!

You no doubt don't want that many, but Moles Seeds are £5.90 for 50, compared to T & M's £3.69 for only 10.

xx
ph FOR TOMS

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 22:02
by richyrich7
question
How many toms' in an 8x4 GH?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 14:02
by 8doubles
xx
What's up with these toms?

Started by Mike.white on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 10:52
by Mike.white
xx
toms

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 12:22
by DD.

Page created in 0.601 seconds with 38 queries.