Shallots

• 36 Replies

craggy

Re: Shallots
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 22:16 »
I stand to be corrected. And, Craggy, if the ground isn`t suitable for them to be planted, what next?

if they're that dodgy,buy some more.

zazen999

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 22:39 »
Basically;

If you can get them in the ground - lovely.

If not, pop them in compost shoulder to shoulder in a seed tray to get them started.

What you are looking for is for the root system to develop before it goes in the ground - these went into roottrainers in Nov time and into the ground last week.

They won't need fleece in a cold frame, greenhouse in the meantime but if you do have some spare, it just lowers the temp a couple of degrees so the roots can start growing faster.
roottrainers.jpg

peterjf

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 23:44 »
try searching on this site , im sure there would be a sentence or 2 on growing shallots

even growing onions

Salmo

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 00:06 »
My shallots were being stored cool and dark. A few showed signs of going soft and some were mouldy and have been discarded. I have put the rest in modules of compost in a cool light area.

My thoughts were that if I left them I might loose more, if they are growing they will survive. If it had not been for the snow and wet they would have been planted by now.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 00:13 by Salmo »

zazen999

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 07:49 »
My thoughts are - that as soon as you get all alliums; get em into compost if you haven't got the soil ready.

Works for me. They do no good sat in a cool dark cupboard as they want to grow, so let em.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 07:58 »
Even a cold cupboard indoors is warm to an onion set or shallot.

Mine have been sitting in the light, in a cold greenhouse and are rock hard!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bigben

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 09:44 »
I am afraid I had a moment of madness last week and planted out two packs of Shallots on a day when the sun was shining. Only to see them buried under snow a couple of days later. They were the cheap ones from Wilkos so not too much lost - hopefully they might survive.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 10:11 »
Shallots are very hardy & should stand it.

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 12:33 »
Thanks for all the replies I've just cleaned out some trays will get my shallots in them  later today I've lost some but gladly not all.

Missy

goodegg

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 12:44 »
planted shallots this year after not planting any for many years as i dont like to waste and onions are to big for me most of the time i have only bought i bag as i hope that will glve me all i need ive also planted some onion seeds and sets but they are mainly for friends and relatives.
i love to plant great.

Ropster

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 13:23 »
some of the old guys on my site must start theirs in pots every year, I know this as i go down one day and there are none, following week they have nice rows of shallots with big green shoots on them. always makes me wish i could do that, this year i have a greenhouse so have committed a packet of pound-land shallots to pots to see what happens

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 13:28 »
Once they hit the soil, it doesn't take long for them to sprout. I know of no one on our site that pre-sprouts them.

Those on your site could have been sitting there for a couple of weeks unnoticed before the greenery showed.

craggy

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 14:07 »
Once they hit the soil, it doesn't take long for them to sprout. I know of no one on our site that pre-sprouts them.

Those on your site could have been sitting there for a couple of weeks unnoticed before the greenery showed.
seems like a waste of effort for such a simple veg.just put them in,and watch them grow.snow.rain.frost.they don,t care.

viettaclark

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 23:42 »
I planted shallots outside in November and they haven't sprouted yet. The bulbs (which I planted in indentations) are still firm even after all the weather. Garlic and onions are up.
Am I being impatient?

zazen999

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 08:13 »
I planted shallots outside in November and they haven't sprouted yet. The bulbs (which I planted in indentations) are still firm even after all the weather. Garlic and onions are up.
Am I being impatient?

Look at my picture above; hopefully you will see the huge root system and the lack of sprouting.

That's what they do!!!

xx
Shallots

Started by radiohead on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 24, 2012, 15:49
by crh75
xx
Shallots

Started by Silkworm on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 23:02
by Robster
xx
shallots

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 16:52
by missmenace
sad
shallots :)

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 20:02
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 36 queries.