Roadrunner chicken!

• 17 Replies

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
Roadrunner chicken!
« on: February 22, 2010, 16:52 »
Bobby is going through a moult ... it started slowly, but has accelerated for the past day or two ... not so very many feathers around, however, as the Rhode Rocks eat them all  :blink:

Anyway - I noticed today that she was bleeding from a bald patch - new quills in evidence, but no feathers yet. So I used a gentian violet spray to cover the red ... since when she has been dashing around the hen pen like a road runner  :ohmy: I can only assume the spray is stinging. I've brought her in and washed it down with some warm salt water, and powdered it with flour ... but she's still dashing around (or was, until she took refuge in the coop) and will soon be exhausted if it carries on ...

Any ideas/suggestions?!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Roadrunner chicken!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 17:00 »
I wonder if the other hens are trying to eat the new feathers coming through (which may be the cause of the bleeding). Try leaving her alone in the coop so that she can rest for a bit then possibly put some savlon or germolene on the sore bits and then some wound powder or cornflour.
Staffies are softer than you think.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 17:01 »
Is there anything else I can do to stop the stinging?

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 17:03 »
savlon will cool it down and germolene has a local anaesthetic in it so may help.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 17:54 »
savlon will cool it down and germolene has a local anaesthetic in it so may help.

Ahhh...  another mystery solved!  I didn't know that. My nose gets really really sore when I have a cold (even with the softest hankies) and my mum always put germolene on it when I was a child.  Being the cynic I am I thought it worked because as a child you believe what your mum does works  (though the cough lictus was vile!) - but perhaps it really does make it hurt less!!  Well .... :nowink:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 18:20 »
I think it says so on the tube  :lol: :lol:

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 18:31 »
Thanks for the replies ... she didn't come down from the coop, and they're all in there with her now, so hopefully she'll be calmer. We'll see in the morning!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 07:34 »
Well, I'm worried again now ... she won't come out of the coop. She's not laying ... just on the perch and she won't budge. I've lifted her down to the feed/porridge but she went straight back up again.

This is our first serious moult ... is she going to be OK?

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 08:38 »
You could try a warm bath to remove any remaining stinging material, then a blow dry with a hair-dryer followed up by the germoline. Once in the water they seem to become much quieter and relax. Use a bowl in which they can lean on the sides which helps confidence. Many times they won't try to get out and look annoyed when you lift them out. Once clean, warm and dry she is more likely to eat and drink. Dehydration could be a problem so use a syringe of water (perhaps with a little sugar) and trickle it into the side of her beak. She will get a little in and then will swallow more. No need to force beak open. Grapes will often tempt a bird which is not interested in dry food.HTH

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 08:45 »
Thanks  :)

I was wondering if on top of everything else she had an impacted crop ... it was hard last night and is still full this morning (they've eaten a hot mash already but although she was in the coop she could have had some, I couldn't keep track of who was where!) so I've just given her some olive oil and massaged the crop which seems to be much softer now.

The gentian doesn't seem to be stinging her any more as far as I can tell.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 11:22 »
I've separated her and put her in the greenhouse with water and food and a cat carrier. Lots of mealworms on the food, but she's not eating ...

Rubellite

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 12:12 »
Oh dear, I hope she picks up  :(

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 16:00 »
She's been perched in the greenhouse for a few hours now. I took some treats in and she had a few, and I've syringed (rather messily) some yoghurt and olive oil into her ... her crop is still full but not hard, more sort of squidgey. But she was desperate to get out of the greenhouse (it is rather sunny just now) so I put her back in the run and she went straight into the ark and onto the perch!

Now what do I do?!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 11:50 »
Just reporting back that after a week of being fed maggots twice a day, Bobby is now eating and drinking normally, and apart from her moult seems to be pretty much back to normal! I'm really pleased ... think I might just give them some maggots from time to time (cheaper than mealworms) to keep problems at bay!

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 11:51 »
Yeh I love a happy ending  :D

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
chicken set up

Started by bevwar on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 12:55
by GrannieAnnie
xx
ill chicken

Started by gem on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 20:01
by bantam novice
xx
gay chicken

Started by taximan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 18:19
by joyfull

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 37 queries.