Basil is my nemesis!!

• 23 Replies

greenfingeredsarah

• Treat your mum to an RHS Mother's Day
Basil is my nemesis!!
« on: February 22, 2010, 16:12 »
Does anybody else have trouble growing Basil? I seems to be my nemesis in life! I've even bought already grown but I still manage to kill it - tips please?

sarah-king

• Experienced Member
Re: Basil is my nemesis!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 16:23 »
I've just planted some basil seeds never grown them before so I'll let you know outcome.

gillie

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 16:25 »
Basil likes a lot of warmth and a stable temperature.  

I sow it rather late, just putting several seeds in a pot.  I do not prick out, I just weed out any very weak seedlings and pot on into larger pots in the greenhouse, between the tomato plants.  When they get straggly I re-sow.  Those supermarket potted herbs seem to arrive with a death wish, I have never succeeded with them.

Much to my surprise I have a couple of plants still growing on the kitchen windowsill.  They look a bit of a mess, but they provide us with a few fresh leaves.

Gillie

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 16:40 »
I sow mine straight into the large outside pot in April and like Gillie I don't prick out. I normally have great success, except last year the Basil was pretty sad which I put down to the cool, wet summer.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 16:46 »
Given your respective locations I'd have put my money on Greenfingeredsarah to succeed with outdoor Basil rather than Argyllie!

From my experience you need to find the sunniest and most sheltered spot to grow it outside; for me it always does better indoors on a sunny windowsill.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 17:00 »
Basil likes a lot of warmth and a stable temperature

I'll agree with that, and it also hates being overwatered.............so try a little less of the wet stuff :D

greenfingeredsarah

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 17:03 »
ok great thanks everyone - maybe I just haven't put it in a sunny enough spot before!

I also managed to kill my lemon thyme which sits outside, should I pull it up from the root or just trim it back in the hope it might re-grow?

GFS x

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 17:09 »
Lemon thyme is pretty tough, but like most of  the mediterranean herbs it likes plenty of sun and good drainage.

Depends how old and neglected it is; it doesn't last forever (have a close look, you may be lucky and find it has either self-layered or even seeded nearby)

You can't cut it back too much as it won't regrow from the old wood.

(P.S. parsley is one of the few herbs that actually prefer a bit of shade)  8)

greenfingeredsarah

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 18:28 »
ah ok...thanks for the tip! I don't feel such a let down in that case  :happy: What other herbs do well in the UK? I have limited garden space....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 18:53 »
As long as the ground doesn't stay too wet ...............I have sage, orange and ordinary thyme, oregano, rosemary, chives, garlic chives and parsley which I leave to self seed. Dill, basil and thai red basil I sow each spring 8)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 19:03 »
Given your respective locations I'd have put my money on Greenfingeredsarah to succeed with outdoor Basil rather than Argyllie!

From my experience you need to find the sunniest and most sheltered spot to grow it outside; for me it always does better indoors on a sunny windowsill.

JayG is quite right about the chances of success being far greater in your location than mine and he's also quite right about vast amounts of sunshine (and shelter), which is why I think it is so successful normally as I really do have wall to wall sunshine. :) As I said in my first post, the cool wet summer did it no good at all.

mashauk

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 19:08 »
I always water mine from underneath not on top, I've still got a couple of plants from last year going, on a window sill, started loads in the greenhouse then brought it home when established, I never grow basil outside as it seems to get munched more than hardier herbs.  The supermarket ones are meant to be eaten quickly I reckon so I take the leaves off them if I buy them and freeze them.

gillie

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 19:15 »
I would ignore the lemon thyme for a while and see if it grows new leaves.  However as others have said herbs are not long lived.  It is a good idea to grow several herb plants together in some kind of a pot or planter in a sunny spot close to the kitchen door so that you can dash out and grab a few leaves when it is raining.

I also grow chervil which is said to prefer a bit of shade.  It is a very short lived plant, I just sow seeds in a pot but you can get a self seeding chervil patch going.  I had one once - until 'somebody' did some weeding...  Tarragon is another herb worth growing, but I find it difficult to keep over the winter.  I doubt it has survived this time!

Gillie

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 22:51 »
I planted several seeds last May into a large pot and kept on the kitchen windowsill which gets a decent amount of sun. It only just died the other week after having loads of leaves off it since the summer, many wonderful pestos etc.

I watered it ONLY when a few of the leaves on it were starting to wilt - and within a short space of time they perk up. And pick fairly regularly - it grows back quickly
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 09:35 »
Ive never had any trouble, i plant it in peat free multipurpose dosed with Growmore pellets  an old washing up bowl with holes in and leave it on the patio in the sun, goes a bomb.

xx
My nemesis - celery

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 15, 2014, 20:08
by Rich72
xx
Basil

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 11:14
by agapanthus
xx
Basil

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 23:18
by viettaclark
xx
Basil

Started by Livinhope on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 11:53
by Livinhope

Page created in 0.795 seconds with 38 queries.