Onion and garlic

• 11 Replies

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
Onion and garlic
« on: February 22, 2010, 14:00 »
Hi all i want to grow onions from sets but as a newbie can anyone tell me the best and easiest onion sets to grow also i want to grow elephant garlic am i to late or will it be okay if i plant it now has anyone tried this and are the results worth doing thanks!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Onion and garlic
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 14:08 »
Red sets can tend to bolt, so I'd cut my teeth on white ones. Stuggart Giant, Sturon, most of the common varities garden centres have should give results.

I grew elephant garlic once, (it's not really garlic, it's a relative of the leek). I to say I was very disappointed with the flavour would be an understatement.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 14:12 »
Thanks for that DD might give it a miss then seems pricey,might try solent white instead think its called that anyways  :D ill keep away from red sets then aswell thanks!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 18:24 »
Being dyslexic I'm the last one to comment on anyone's spelling, but just in case it helps when you are hunting for your Garlic quite a lot of garlic seems to have "Wight" in the name (rather than "White") ... dunno why, is it to do with the Isle of Wight perhaps? (where there is a Garlic festival)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 18:30 »
There's a huge garlic farm there, Kristen:

http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 18:46 »
I had had a look at their site. They don't seem to say anything about breeding their own, and  "Chesnok Wight Garlic" comes from "Southern Ukraine on the Black Sea" ... so I'm none the wiser how it gets "Wight" in its name.  Their Marketing department maybe :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 18:51 »
They may not breed it, but they grow it!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 19:46 »
On that basis I should flog "Purple Moldovan Kristen Garlic", "Monte Kristen Watermelon", and "A24:K36 cell planners" [:D]

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 20:09 »
I do a mean line in "DD. Parsnips"!

wighty

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 21:24 »
Kristen, to back you up, you are not going 'mad'.  I live on the Isle of Wight and we have a Garlic Farm which supplies most of England with it's garlic.  Colin Boswell (Spit spit spit) not the most popular person on the Island travels round the world to get the best ones to grow in our cliimate. As DD says  Elephant Garlic  is related to the leek family  and has a totallly different taste to normal garlic.  I only grow Solent Wight.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 21:33 »
I've grown our varieties of elephant garlic and will never bother again as its so bland and way too pricey for what you get.

And like DD, I find red onion sets live only to bolt on me  >:( so I now have red onion seedlings sprouting so they'll be ready for planting out in May.

onthebeach

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 12:24 »
I've grown our varieties of elephant garlic and will never bother again as its so bland and way too pricey for what you get.

And like DD, I find red onion sets live only to bolt on me  >:( so I now have red onion seedlings sprouting so they'll be ready for planting out in May.

i love red onion. where can i get the seeds from are they easy to find and how are they to grow. can i start them off on my kitchen windowsill. i am a novice and am gonna sound really thick now but do they grow above or below ground??? i dont want to grow below ground stuff as i like to be able to see whats going on. any help appreciated.

xx
Garlic and onion

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 03, 2013, 09:51
by The Golden Heap
xx
In need of an onion and garlic how to..

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 18, 2010, 23:43
by binner
xx
Onion and Garlic dIsaster

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2012, 20:38
by muckyboots
xx
garlic and onion Collars

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2014, 11:09
by Lesleyk

Page created in 1.395 seconds with 37 queries.