Advice please - bullying!!

• 9 Replies

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
Advice please - bullying!!
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:05 »
I have new girlies, one has a big wobbly comb that is being pecked at by the new girls she came with and my old white sussex.  When I checked on them this morning, there was blood in the coop and the poor girl had been pecked very close to her eyes. She has been separated for now. I've looked thru the bullying threads here and see comments about  purple spray being effective - but can I spray this SO close to her eyes?
If not - any other advice to help the poor girl heal.
Thanks
Lukasmum

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advice please - bullying!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:32 »
Hello, I wouldn't spray that close to her eyes, do you have any wound powder or if not then get some cornflour and sprinke that on the wounds. I would get some beak clips and fit them to the bullies, they are available from the wild fowl trust and cost £1 for 8 including postage, you can order on line and they are quick to deliver.  Is it just one that is bullying if so then remove her rather than the bullied one, good luck xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:32 »
Hi Joyfull

I moved the bullied one out this morning, because they could obviously smell blood!

She's been cleaned up and had some antiseptic cream smeared on her wounds.
I've put her in with my bantams, and so far so good - they have just left her alone.
I shall keep nipping out to check tho - they do seem to attack if they smell blood.
There's a Silky in charge of that little bunch, so I'll be keeping a close eye on her!
Failing that - beak clips it is!
The bigger girls seem to have quietened down now that she's out of their pen!

I may get some purple spray - but dab it around, rather than spraying on her. She has very sore ears!
Thanks for your help. xx

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:41 »
if she is happy in with the bantams and they don't mind sharing plus if there is enough room then it may be best to leave her there but keep checking that the other girls then don't start ganging up on another one.

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 16:02 »
all quiet so far - been out for a few more checks, and she seems quiet and settled with the bantams - picking the hay out of their nestbox!

Have been and built another shelter in the big pen...the new araucanas looked mighty
sad in the sleet downpour this morning, and obviously didn't want to shelter with the others.
I will keep checking though - thanks Joyfull!

What a difference a day makes!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 19:33 »
Hi, they dont 'smell' blood as such, they are just attracted to the colour red!This is why the purple spray works as it masks the red wound. I have used flour on wounds and it works well to help stop the bleeding and to 'mask' the red. If you wanted to use purple spray, spray some into a plastic drinking cup(or similar) and use a cotton bud to dab it on. That way they will get the benefit of the antiseptic, and the wound protection without risking her eyes by spraying it. hope she recovers soon.

nuttigill

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 15:44 »
Hi,
I also have 4 new girls & one with a large wobbly comb, a White Star, however its her we have to keep our eye on!
Shes so greedy & pecks at one smaller speckled Moran in particular, no blood yet thank goodness!
Have taken on board all advise given in case she doesnt settle down, but sounds like your poor girl has had a real hard time, poor thing.
Hugs needed

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 18:51 »
Hugs needed indeed - she seems to be sneezing a little now - which REALLY concerns me.
I've read the link on respiratory diseases, and don't know whether to panic or admit I'm thick!

Should I take her to the vet? Worm her for gapeworm, or just wait amd see. She seems to be eating fine, and seems quite lively otherwise.
None of the others are sneezing (yet!)
H E L P????
Thanks!

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 18:57 »
is it just the odd sneeze? Are there any other symptoms, if not don't worry too much but give her a little extra tlc  :)

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 19:15 »
Thanks Joyfull - I think I'm just panicking because she is new, and should be quarantined, and I've put her in with my bantams because of the bullying.

I just hope this is caused by the stress and not something sinister - otherwise I shall be very cross with myself for breaking my own rules!!!! :(

xx
advice on bullying please

Started by Debsie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 21:21
by jhub
xx
pecking-bullying? advice please

Started by rags4bags on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2010, 13:55
by rags4bags
xx
bullying

Started by raaaymond on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 21:14
by raaaymond
sad
bullying

Started by shez on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 11, 2010, 12:34
by too many girls

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 37 queries.