Asparagus

• 20 Replies

Happyreaper

Asparagus
« on: February 20, 2010, 17:29 »
Hiya this is my first post on this site, having just found it.  I have bought some asparagus and was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on growing it. I know its best to leave crop for the first year but thats about as much as I know.

Thankyou

craggy

Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 17:34 »
HI,I,m new here too,but if you click on the growing help section,there is a guide there.good luck,will be cutting mine for the first time this spring

Happyreaper

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 17:36 »
Thanks for the pointer. Hope they crop well and taste even better.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 17:40 »
Firstly hello and welcome to the site.  :D :D :D

Asparagus is best grown in sandy loamy soil, makesure that before you plant them that you dont let the roots dry out, keep them moist otherwise they will start to grow and eventually die, dont cut until the harvest a crop until the third year of pplanting. After June do not harvest any shoots as this is when the plant matures so it is best to water regulary with a liquid fertilizer. The only main pest for asparagus is the asparagus beetle which can cause svere damage to the stalk and leaves, unfortunalty the best method is to simply pick these off by hand and let there numbers decrease. Hope that this was of some help  :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Happyreaper

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 17:44 »
Thankyou, that was a lot of help. As I know nothing at all about them.  I am on here secretly, so that I can grow better veg than my hubby.  ;)

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 17:52 »
I used to live in the Worcestershire area and they have a rule that the asparagus should only be picked between 23 April - 23 June, as J B says after that they need to re-focus their energy
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 18:08 »
The usual rule of thumb is to stop cutting on the longest day, nearly the same as the previous post, but as for starting cutting, surely that's when the first spear is ready to cut? If they appear before then, you not going to let them grow - or are you? :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 18:31 »
I have at least 3 different varieties in my asparagus bed which crop at different rates and times, also the weather is different from one year to the next.

DD is right (getting sick of saying that; I'll get him one day even if it's only for a typo!  8)); you obviously start cutting spears as soon as they appear; when you stop should be determined as much by observing the declining rate and vigour of the spears as the calendar.

What you don't want to find is that you have cut the last spear off a completely knackered plant which therefore hasn't got the strength to produce any more to grow on into ferns.

Err on the side of caution when it comes to crowns less than five years old, because after all the treatment you are dishing out to them would be a good way or getting rid of many persistent weeds!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Happyreaper

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:05 »
 :) Thankyou all very much for your advice. Just chopping at the bit to get started now. No snow for us this morning up here in the North East of England but a we have woken up to a heavy frost.

>:(

savbo

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 13:50 »
I was impressed by John's asparagus growing guide which is the only site I've seen that recognises that many of us won't be able to resist a spear or three in the first year...

Pompey Spud

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 15:00 »
Best advice is not to cut any at all until the 3rd year if you want really strong vigorous crowns. According to an article in KW when they chatted to a farmer in Norfolk.

My bed will be in its 2nd year from planting last March 09. I wont be cutting.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 15:37 »
I was talking about this the other day with one of the more experienced plot holders at my site. He reckons that they need a feed of salt in the next month or so. Personally not so sure and think they tolerate salt (given they originated by the sea) rather than need it – anybody got a thought on this?

Also, believe a general feed and mulch in the next few weeks will help – can’t say if this is so necessary in year 1 but I did it yesterday on 1 year old plants.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 16:45 »
You are right in that wild asparagus originates from sea shore habitats.

They can withstand salt but the weeds can't. Salt kills the weeds.

It also stops a fungus growing (purple something) which can kill the crown.

Most Asparagus farms use salt.

It's best to mulch in winter with rotted manure etc. Make sure the manure is not in contact with old stems as it can rot them.

Top dress with growmore or equivalent in the few weeks before the first stems appear.

Top dress again when ferns have been cut in Autumn.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 16:48 by Pompey Spud »

beanqueen

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 21:07 »
Planted mine march 08...resisted the temptation last yeaar so fingers crossed they'll have survived the winter

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 21:14 »
I can see why the plot neighbour uses the salt, an old habit that won't die, but I don't feel salt is good for the soil in general. Its a whole lot safer for everyone if you just keep the area weeded, preferably by hand so the shallow roots of asparagus doesn't have to compete. Few of us will grow so much asparagus that hand weeding is an impossible task.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
asparagus

Started by millierose on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 09:19
by Salmo

Page created in 0.608 seconds with 38 queries.