Root Drench

• 17 Replies

solway cropper

Re: Root Drench
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 22:01 »
I currently have a big tub of it rotting away at the bottom of the garden. Not much pong at the moment but when the weather warms up it will really get going. I live near the sea and collect my own every time we have a big spring tide. It gets washed up by the trailer load and I just fill a few sacks to add to the compost heap and make my own liquid feed. Take no notice of officious jobsworths who tell you that you shouldn't collect it. If it's washed up and dead it's not a problem and you're not going to be doing it on an industrial scale.

Salmo

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 00:00 »
Yes it just means watering the earth (round but not on the plant) but making sure you water enough to soak the roots, not just wet the surface.
You can also make a solution of it up, and dip the roots into it of any plants that you are transplanting :)

Maxicrop has always been a bit of muck and magic product with claims about trace elements, availability of nutrients and special properties of seaweed. The most common sales pitch from salesmen was to convince growers that it would revuvenate crops under stress, suffering from pest, disease, bad weather, drought. The common way is to apply it as foliar feed. It may all be true.

Does the bottle really say dip the roots in it? Sounds a very strange thing to do.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 09:24 »
I think the muck & magic aspect merely comes from the fact that it is organic rather than inorganic and therefore will contain trace elements.

After all they do have to the sell their product, and it is not actually completely untrue  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Seaweed foliar feed or root drench

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 13:30
by Yana
xx
Garlic drench as slug repellent

Started by Oddpod on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2020, 08:09
by rowlandwells
xx
Help! Root Fly

Started by Mitsy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 15:40
by Mitsy
xx
Root fly

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 11:04
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.584 seconds with 36 queries.