Help please!!

• 14 Replies

prakash_mib

Help please!!
« on: February 17, 2010, 22:13 »
I dont know the name of this plant. (inherited from previous owners)
after the feb. snow the state has become sorry. with fresh snow prediced in our area tomorrow any chance of this to survive. can you please advise what to do?
I havent touched and the crown is still there.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Help please!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 22:40 »
have you got any fleece you can tie over the top. Then tie something like a plastic plate over the top to stop water/snow getting into the middle and freezing. You don't want to wrap it all inside poly because condensation formed inside that will kill it. if it's not already.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 22:56 »
That to me looks like a Yucca plant. I have two of these that are outside in pots and do look sorry for themselves (though not quite that sorry!) too. I have had them for several years and what has happened in the past is that even if the foliage dies off from frost damage in the winter, it grows new shoots elsewhere on the trunk in the spring - one of mine has even put out a new shoot from the bottom. So although protecting it from further damage is a good idea, it might still recover in the spring anyway.

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 17:32 »
If not a Yucca, could it be a cordyline? 

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 13:52 »
Thats definitly a sorry looking yucca plant  :(

follow the advice with the fleece, but if poss move pot to drier more sheltered  spot.... I move mine either indoors or under porch.

Hope that helps a bit..
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 17:49 »
If not a Yucca, could it be a cordyline? 

It is quite hard to tell from the state of the plant, but you could be right Piccolo -- Cordyline australis maybe  :unsure: :unsure:

Usually Yuccas do not develop such a long trunk I think  :blink: ???
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 18:02 »
ya them trees are really popular here in ireland and they are all like them even the 25 year one in my garden :( they are probably dead, take off the leaves and they might sprout again maybe even sprout underground

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 10:01 »
ya them trees are really popular here in ireland and they are all like them even the 25 year one in my garden :( they are probably dead, take off the leaves and they might sprout again maybe even sprout underground

Hello again sunshine  :D 
I have one of these exactly the same in my kitchen its trunk is about 3" thick and its about 2m tall. I was given it and told it was a yukka plant, i take it from what you posted this is doubtful?

plum crumble

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 10:06 »
looks just like my Cordalyine australis in my front garden. When the main stem foliage was killed off, a new stem appeared from the base - it recovered very well!
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 12:28 »
Well it sounds like it doesn't matter if its a Yucca or a cordyline (I've just looked at pics of both on the internet and can't distinguish between them) the news is probably good - its likely it will recover! :tongue2:

frodomb

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 15:49 »
My Dad has had a Yucca for years and has been brutal to it. It has been hacked in half thrown in the bin and all sorts of stuff. but it is still at his house. So I don't think you need to worry too much
Michaala

prakash_mib

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 16:14 »
Thanks for the infos. I inherited this plant from previous owners and never bothered in the past 4 years. It was a very good boy (or girl) untill the this winter monster tried to scare him.feel sorry for it but fingers crossed that it will recover

greenfingeredsarah

• Treat your mum to an RHS Mother's Day
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 17:19 »
There's a nifty little tool on the RHS website like an online problem solver......Hope this helps

prakash_mib

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 18:24 »
surprise.
I just noticed it today (I missed it for long time). It has fresh shoots from bottom and 3-4 bulges popping as well. I think I have more to care for now.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 18:32 »
Oh, good  :D

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 29 queries.