Nothing Changes

• 59 Replies

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
Re: Nothing Changes
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 09:01 »
I hear what you're saying DD but do also agree with what others say.

By the time I've given a few plants away to friends and maybe put a few in the staffroom for people to help themselves to, there's really no need to worry about having a few extra things ready too early. There'll always be a good home for them!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 09:11 »
Exactly and you're still backing up my point:

Many do NOT have the space or facilities to cope with numerous plants they find on their hands

You have these facilities - by giving them away - and are aware of where you're going when you sow early. We are trying to give newcomers some idea of where they're heading when they haven't been there before.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 09:46 »
And just to add my two pennerth...........

....................... it helps to remember that some plants originated in hotter climes than ours, so planting in some heat a little earlier than you can do outside is good, as then they have a better chance of giving us a decent crop.

Some, like cabbages, are northerners by birth and don't grow so well whenmollycoddled  :lol: :lol: :lol:

No insult to those who live north of Watford intended of course
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 11:41 »
Can I also add, speaking from recent bitter experience, please doooo disinfect your propogators/pots and use fresh compost. I tried to cut corners, those seedlings that didn't succumb to damping off have now been munched by some sort of soil dwelling critter, fortunately I did amass loads of seeds so have plenty to replace and still early enough to do so..........
so maybe for me early sowing was a bonus

off to take a bath with me jeyes now then  :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 12:28 »
For once I am 100% behind DD here. I moved onto a new site 2 years ago, the first thing I did was to go and ask everyone about what types grow well on the site, the last thing I did was to completly ignore everything that I was told and grow the stuff they told me was not good and waste time and effort, I asked advice, listened and learned and grow the crops that grow well on our site.

The dates on the packets are there for a reason in that they give an indication for the optimum growing conditions of the plant, tried and tested over the years.

In the years I have been growing veg I learned the easy way, I asked and listened rather than did!

Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 12:31 »
For once I am 100% behind DD here.

Wadduyu mean?

Pompey Spud

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 12:50 »
Personally, I can't see the point in experimenting. I want to grow veg well, not reinvent the wheel. Why bother copying others mistakes.

Only been growing for 2 yrs and all you need is John's book and most of DD's advice to get good results. Than build it round your own stuff.

8)
Top tip for camping....don't go.

purplebean

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 13:02 »
I always start something off early on the windowsill just to see what happens. I just can't resist it and as I know it is an experiment with a few cheap seeds and may well fail I do it just for fun  :D

This year it is sugar snap peas, growing nicely and going to be potted on into the growhouse when I feel the time is right.

Basil growing nicely will stay on the windowsill for its life

Parsley same as the basil

Chives and garlic chives have not germinated, not given up on them yet but they could be this years total dud

you win some you lose some but experimenting is fun  :D

goodegg

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 14:05 »
so far ive planted toms,cabbage,cues,lettuce,peas.beans,broad beans.and yesterday i started planting spuds.but we are about a month ahead of england.and even spain.good luck everyone on new ,growing and eating fresh new crops.eddie.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 14:09 »
Personally, I can't see the point in experimenting. I want to grow veg well, not reinvent the wheel. Why bother copying others mistakes.

There's a big difference between experimenting whilst still keeping within the accepted rules, and completely ignoring all the rules.

The "Munty leek method" thread is a good example of the former, starting things off way too early having neither the experience nor the facilities to deal with the consequences is an example of the latter.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 14:18 »
so far ive planted toms,cabbage,cues,lettuce,peas.beans,broad beans.and yesterday i started planting spuds.but we are about a month ahead of england.and even spain.good luck everyone on new ,growing and eating fresh new crops.eddie.

I wish there was a way of making "Guernsey Alert" flash up when you post. Not everyone sees your location!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 14:22 »
I must admit I was relieved when I saw that you were not local to me, goodegg -- for all thr right reasons, of course  :D

goodegg

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2010, 14:32 »
its raining here at the moment,we dont often get hard frosts here. im glad to say but i have been caught out once must be about twenty years ago we had a heavy frost in middle of march didnt do my spuds much good at all lost half the crop i would have had they partlly recovered after thee weeks

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2010, 14:35 »
Twenty years ago  :ohmy: :ohmy:  :lol:

Round here it is not even twenty days ago, and this is the so called soft south  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 14:41 »
Wadduyu mean? Wadduyu mean?

Page created in 0.646 seconds with 38 queries.