how to grow good cabbage

• 8 Replies

philskin

how to grow good cabbage
« on: May 26, 2007, 09:53 »
Hi phil here I don,t want to jump the gun but ive set aside a small plot and dug about 5cwt of well rotted horse manure into it double dug the plot as well, then I planted 12 gabbages into it with some dwarf beans along the front.  I spaced the cabbages16" _ 18" apart  then I made a cane frame about 30" high and netted it all over including the sides hopefully to stop the birds and the cabbage butterfly.  Now the question is what to feed them on and any other tips you have got would be very gratefully recieved  , thank you all in advance and thanks for taking the time to read this best regards  phil   :?:  :lol:  ps would love to be placed in the local village show
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

WG.

how to grow good cabbage
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 10:07 »
With almost half a cwt of manure each, I think they will be well enough fed as it is.

If you haven't done so - add lime since manure is acidic & cabbages like it to be alkaline.

philskin

how to grow good cabbage
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 10:13 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
With almost half a cwt of manure each, I think they will be well enough fed as it is.

If you haven't done so - add lime since manure is acidic & cabbages like it to be alkaline.
 thanks will do so this afternoon

WG.

how to grow good cabbage
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 10:15 »
Have you got root collars on to keep away the root fly?

Anti-slug measures?

philskin

how to grow good cabbage
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 10:20 »
Have you got root collars on to keep away the root fly?

Anti-slug measures?
 no I haven,t whats a root collar and could I make then out of items that I may have in my shed

WG.

how to grow good cabbage
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 10:50 »
Rake the lime into the surface rather than attempting to mix with manure-rich soil - they don't go well together but (for another year) you are better to omit the manure than to omit lime.

Then search this forum using cabbage root collar* (match all terms)

philskin

re cabbage collars
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 13:19 »
hi me again ive just made the collars out of some roofing felt left over from my shed project its the heavy felt with grit on one side . I cut them with a 8" diameter, cut the slot half way through and cut a cross in that now two questions in my eagerness to make them have I made them to big ie 8" and secondly is the material to thick ie running the risk of stem damage as the collars have been fitted grit side down thanks again phil :oops:  :D  :?:

WG.

how to grow good cabbage
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 13:23 »
The roofing felt you describe is too heavy in my opinion & would give stem damage.   All is not lost - cut it in half and use two notched pieces on each plant.  The plant will push them apart as it grows in the notches.

philskin

how to grow good cabbage
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 13:24 »
The roofing felt you describe is too heavy in my opinion & would give stem damage.   All is not lost - cut it in half and use two notched pieces on each plant.  The plant will push them apart as it grows in the notches.
ok will do thanks a lot :tongue2:

xx
A good green cabbage please

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 17:06
by m1ckz
xx
Which Red cabbage to grow?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 23:08
by compostqueen
xx
Cabbage Plants, wont Grow. Please help

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 10:08
by Ropster
xx
good way to grow carrots

Started by benA*grower on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 18:38
by bailey

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 36 queries.