Bindweed

• 27 Replies

DavidT

Re: Bindweed
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 20:20 »
I done my PA1 last week and im sure hte leaflet was from Gallup i got my PA 6 tomorrow  :wacko:

Let us spray. :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 20:23 »
just for bob ;)
gallop on fleabay

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 12:26 »
Yippe yippe i now got my certificate for spraying both sections passed, let us spray
Thanks
Kris

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 12:30 »
Dig up the roots, dig up the roots, then dig up the roots again.   :D

I find that as it roots from the smallest bit of root, you can never entirely erradicate it whilst growing crops at the same time.  I fork over the plot and remove anything white from the soil.  Luckily it does stand out

I can see why you are called Jay the Digger  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

prakash_mib

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 11:34 »
Just an update on this. Yes they are popping out but they are very weak shoots and cant grow very big as it used to last year just in a week time (bindweed growers know what I am saying). I have picked less than 20 shoots in the past month each no more than couple of inches tall.
easy to pull it out albeit roots are still in there. but I am very happy that they are controlled (not eradicated). I have had a look at other plots and they have bind weed growing more vigorously.
So I think i have sorted it out but same cant be said to marestail. They are one good growers popping out everyday. regardless of the weather. and I noticed in the other plots, people dont bother about them. They let it grow. The reason I would assume is their roots go deep and they might bring nutrients to the top.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

stompy

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 11:42 »
Just give the bind weed a spray every time you see it coming up.
Eventually you will eradicate it, the smaller and weaker the root the easier it will be to kill it.
If you just pull it out the root is still there, if you spray it, it will die after a few aplications!

prakash_mib

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 11:59 »
I just dont want to spray anything during growing season stompy. Happy with my pulling and auntie's advice
"never let them see a sunday"

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 12:50 »
i dont know what your moaning about bindweed if kept under control is quite nice, not like mares tail! which pops up everywhere!

bigben

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 13:25 »
I took over a plot in Jan that had not been worked for 3 years. I thought the reason was the massive brambles everywhere. After chopping them to the ground and starting to dig I realised the plot was also thick with bindweed that had just not started to show its face yet. I have managed to get about 2/3 into production but the stuff I missed keeps popping up to say hello. I wish my crops were as fast growing!

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 13:47 »
could be worse could be jap knotweed!  :lol:

bigben

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 14:29 »
could be worse could be jap knotweed!  :lol:

That runs alongside the allotments and the council is doing nothing about it. At present only a path separates it from the first plot - it is only a matter of time.

diggerjoe

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 17:13 »
still loads of the stuff in my back garden at home I do a pull up the bindweed session on a Friday and get a bucket full each time. Its already up through a conifer and to the top - wish I could climb that quick  :D I'm on conifer trimming duty this weekend.

pedro

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 21:36 »
dig it out and digit out and dig it out again. It gets its life blood from the sun, dont let it grow or you allow the energy to go to the roots. Those bits you miss with digging either hoe as soon as it sticks its head up (dont leave the cut off bits to reroot) or if possible dig down as far as you can to get as much root as possible. If it comes up near crops mix up a jar of the concentrated type of Roundup thats made for tree roots etc. Then get a paintbrush and paint the * with it. It will take about three weeks for it to die back but it will not grow any larger in that time. But another shoot will come nearby repeat the process all the growing season. Stick a baboo cane in the ground to mark where it is and after the crops are cleared dig down to remove as much root as possible.
It requires a hate campaign and resolve or the bindweed will win. Its been around for a very long time, some say longer than us. so its learnt a bit in all those years. Keep at it and you will win but it may take a couple of years if you dont ket see the Sun.
I put up a sign saying " this is a bindweed free plot all trespassers will be persecuted"
it does not get rid of it but reminds me to have a quick look around and get out the brush.

xx
Bindweed

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 14:30
by Kristen
xx
bindweed

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 09:40
by Kristen
xx
Bindweed

Started by Fafafifi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2006, 14:03
by Verminer
xx
Bindweed - best way to get rid

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 14:56
by slow_worm

Page created in 0.546 seconds with 38 queries.