Is my chook moulting?

• 10 Replies

Julia TE

Is my chook moulting?
« on: February 14, 2010, 16:03 »
I am quite new to this chicken keeping lark and I love it.  So far I've had a trouble free time with them.  I have 5 girls (since October 2008) and they've been in good health.  Today, though, I noticed that one of them had a patch on her breast that was devoid of feathers and the skin looked pink.  Is this moulting, or does she have a problem?  I've noticed a bit of bickering going on, though didn't think it was any different from the usual.  None of them has moulted before.  I feed them LP (with a bit of mixed corn at this time of the year) and some chicken spice in their feed and at the moment a bit of vitamin supplement in their water as I've had a few delicate shells.  I'm only getting on average 4 eggs a day but don't know who's not laying. 

Since I noticed the bare patch today we have separated her from the rest of the group and can try and put her in a separate place overnight.  is this the best thing to do?  Other than that she seems ok.  She ruffles her feathers a bit more than usual.  her comb I think looks ok and she continues to be as noisy as usual (she's the noisy one of the tribe).  is there anything else I should be looking for?  We caught her to look more closely and she didn't like it - does this mean that she was sore when I touched her bare batch?  The bare batch is not huge but noticeable - about 1 square inch.

Any advice would be gratefully received!  Many thanks in advance
Julia

carolbriar

Re: Is my chook moulting?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 16:32 »
As a newbie myself I can only say what I have seen on this site with similar problems.  Use purple spray so that the other girls don't peck at the patch.  You get it from horse shops etc.  It is an antiseptic as well as covering the area with the purple to help stop pecking from the others.  Also, I don't think it is a good idea to separate them as it can be worse when you have to reintroduce her.  I hope I've got this right but I'm sure some of the more experienced members will help - this forum is great for getting information - everyone is so helpful and full of great advice. 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Julia TE

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 16:48 »
thank you!  Any other comments are gratefully received.  I'll pop along to the shop tomorrow for purple spray.  Better go and reintroduce them again now before it gets dark. Do you think it safe to let her stay in with the others tonight?

Julia

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 17:11 »
If she is going broody she may lose most of her breast and belly feathers so she can warm the eggs properly. This does not show when the hen is walking about as the other feathers cover the brooding patch. If she spends a lot of time in the nestbox and ruffles up and grumbles when you search for eggs she may be going broody in which case bare skin is normal.

Worth having a thorough body search for lice just to be safe.

Julia TE

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 17:22 »
Thank you!  Are lice likely at this time of the year?

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 17:46 »
Lice spend the whole of their life cycle on the hen, as far as a louse is concerned it`s always summer. :)
Look for clumps of eggs at the base of feathers, particularly  around the vent.     

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 02:20 »
What breed is your chicken? If she's a pure breed I'd definitely say she's preparing to go broody.  Spending a lot of time on the nestbox and puffing out her feathers when you try to move her and grumbling in a bad tempered sort of way are dead give aways for broodiness.  I don't think there's any need to separate her or to be too concerned.
HF
Truth through science.

Julia TE

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 10:08 »
Thank you!  The bare bit on her breast didn't seem so sore this morning, and it's being hidden a bit more by her feathers.  I'll keep an eye to see whether this means a bit of broodiness - something I've not encountered before!  She's just a hybrid hen rather than pure breed.

Julia TE

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 17:46 »
just to add a bit more info... I popped down to the animal feeds place and on advice bought some vetinary antiseptic gel.  Just applied to my girl.  The bar patch is quite pink, not broken, but runs from her neck down her breast and belly.   A friend looked at it earlier and said it could be that she's been rubbing against something?  She didn't flinch or get distressed when I applied the gel.  I haven't noticed her getting broody or anything.  She's perhaps a little quieter than usual and the others dont' seem to be any different with her.

I hope I'm doing the right thing ....
Julia

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 18:18 »
Sounds more and more like she will be going broody if you can see no sign of new feather quills.

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 00:00 »
just to add a bit more info... I popped down to the animal feeds place and on advice bought some vetinary antiseptic gel.  Just applied to my girl.  The bar patch is quite pink, not broken, but runs from her neck down her breast and belly.   A friend looked at it earlier and said it could be that she's been rubbing against something?  She didn't flinch or get distressed when I applied the gel.  I haven't noticed her getting broody or anything.  She's perhaps a little quieter than usual and the others dont' seem to be any different with her.

I hope I'm doing the right thing ....
Julia

Usually hybrids don't go broody to any extent though it's not unknown.  The only other thing you might check for is Breast Blister which is usually associated with broilers and wet litter.  Make sure she has dry clean litter.  Breast blister, as its name suggests, is a blister on the keel of the hen which contains fluid as a result of a bacterial infection.  There might be info in the stickies area or google it for more info.  If it is, it isn't usually fatal and providing more sterile litter and eliminating any sharp edges which might be irritating or abraiding her keel is the usual treatment.  However it doesn't sound like this and I'd still opt for broodiness (the hen plucks its own feathers preparatory to sitting on eggs).
HF

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Moulting

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 22:04
by orchardlady
xx
moulting

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 17:46
by compostqueen
xx
Moulting, now??

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 20:01
by Goldfinger

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 36 queries.