Woo Hoo got my ducks! Got a few questions though?

• 6 Replies

flangey

Woo Hoo got my ducks! Got a few questions though?
« on: February 14, 2010, 16:02 »
Hello, much excitement, my miniature silver appleyards arrived yesterday (a boy and 3 girls), my chucks have welcomed them with open wings  :) and all is well.  Just a couple of questions, as this is my first experience of keeping ducks, I just wanted to check a couple of things.  They are all happy splashing around in their paddling pool and ranging round the garden, they are grooming themselves a lot but seem to be shaking their feathers continuously, almost shimmying all the time.  Is this a normal duck thing, or could it be that they're a bit nervous being in a new environment? I'm feeding layers pellets which they dont seem that interested in unless i scatter it on the floor, do ducks prefer to eat off the floor or could it be that they're not used eating out of a feeder (flat and shallow)? I know these sound like basic questions, but I just like to make sure they're happy and settled  :unsure:

ruralczech

• Walnut Tree Farm B&B Blog
Re: Woo Hoo got my ducks! Got a few questions though?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 17:00 »
Ducks do spend a lot of time grooming themselves to keep they're feathers waterproof but it may be worth checking them over to be sure they don't have any unwelcome visitors. You write that you are feeding the ducks layers pellets which is fine as long as they are for ducks and not chickens as these contain chemicals that can be harmful to ducks, I find it better to put food into containers because if it scattered on the ground it gets wet and trampled into mush. The ducks will quickly get used to feed in containers.
Good Luck with your Ducks, I've seen the silver Appleyards in a book and like them but they are unavailable in Czech as far as I know.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 17:16 »
Congratulations on your new ducks! I have a full size Silver Appleyard and she is a fab duck!

They do all shake and shimmy, as well as the more easity recognisable preen, a lot. Wouldn't worry about that is they are healthy with no hangers on of their own.

Would feed them in a container as has already been said or their food gets tramppled in pretty quickly. They are creatures of habit and change can make them very nervous (you wouldf think I was trying to poison my lot the day I changed the bowl they eat from) but will settle down. Layers pellets should be fine as long as they are unmedicated as the anti-coccicdosis stuff is toxic to ducks.

Have fun and pics are always apprieciated!...

WELL, THEY'RE THE LAW!!!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

flangey

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 17:58 »
Thanks for the advice, I'm completely besotted, just put them to bed, which was interesting!! I'll check the pellets, they havn't had any today, but when I went out earlier they were tucking into the corn out of a feeder, so that was good.  I'll post photos tomorrow when the camera is fully charged (wish I'd got them earlier, they are fab)  :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 18:54 »
Can't beat ducks! I'm competely smitten with mine and I have had them for years. :D Just need them to start laying again and I'll be even happier!

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 19:05 »
so if i were to keep ducks and chickens together how would i feed them if they need separate food? if i get indian runners they'll be tall enough to eat from a raised feeder.

can i keep quail alongside chickens and ducks?

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 13:33 »
I feed my ducks 50:50 wheat/pellets in the winter and more layers in the spring when they come into lay. Ducks especially runners will need a trough for feed, or a shallow tray near their water.
Runners are very active and very, very messy! Personally I wouldn't keep chucks and runners together, as the ducks will trash the place! :D

xx
Male or Female Ducks?? And one or two other questions!

Started by mollie15 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 19:21
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
ducks???

Started by lisa123 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 01:38
by Carolyn

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 28 queries.