KathyM new plot

• 7 Replies

KathyM

KathyM new plot
« on: August 08, 2009, 15:37 »
Hi  :)

I know I'm a newb and don't know anyone here yet, but wanted to create a record of how we're doing on our new allotment.  We got it two days ago, rent free 'til April because it's been left to run wild for years. 

This is how it was the day before yesterday:

As you can see from this picture, it literally needs no work at all.  ::) :lol:

Is gazillion year old rhubarb salvagable?  There's tonnes of it.

Anyway all of us have been up there for a couple of hours yesterday and a bit longer today and it looks substantially different already, but I'll take more pics later when we head back up. 

Nice to meet you all

Kathy

Rangerkris

• My pic's
KathyM new plot
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 15:44 »
Welcome to the forums we all like to see pictures, looks like you have plenty of willow herb growing there hahahha good luck with it all.
Thanks
Kris

KathyM

KathyM new plot
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 15:59 »
Hi Kris

Yes, most people who have seen these photos reacted with a string of four letter words, so you held back well there haha!  It looks a lot different now, although where to go next is the big question, but that's for another thread!  I will be back with more photos later. :)

janet12000

KathyM new plot
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 16:21 »
 :D Are those your children stood behind all the overgrown stuff?
I have a similar photo of my son and the dog standing on the lotty when I first acquired it. I too have been given mine rent free as it was a complete wilderness, and I'm doing the same as you by keeping a picture diary. It does help as you look at the original pics and see whet you have done and it keeps you motivated. It can be a bit disheartening when you see the old boys with rows and rows of neat and tidy veg, and all you have is a patch of radishes and a pile of stuff for the tip!
Keep at it and good luck. You will find all the advice you need on here. Welcome to the forum. xxxx

KathyM

KathyM new plot
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 19:25 »
Hi Janet  :D

Yes I think that's a child or two, Ferrari cap is my eldest (he hasn't taken it off since his uncle gave him it last month!). 

I know what you mean about motivation, we are on the other side of the bank from the other allotments, so have to walk up to the top of the plot (where that photo's taken from) to see all the really good plots at the top.  As the allotment is new to us we're still really keen (lol) but even seeing the change we've made seems such a small deal compared to their lovely neat plots!  Glad to meet someone else in the same boat!

I am just uploading pics of what we've done so far....

Kathy
xx

KathyM

KathyM new plot
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 19:37 »
Well here we go - Day 2 pics:

Same aspect as picture above.  This is taken at the top of the plot looking down. 

From the bottom looking up.

Is this a potato plant?  I didn't know whether I dared asking lol, I'm so new to this all.  :blush:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
KathyM new plot
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 21:44 »
Looks like a comfrey plant to me Kathy, good for attracting nice insects like bees, and for making into liquid fertilizer, smelly but v. good!  and you can just cut it up and lay it in eh bottom of your bean or potato trenches!  or just put the cut up stuff on your compost heap.  Wonderful plant!!

KathyM

KathyM new plot
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 22:00 »
It never is, is it?!!  :D  Oh wow, that would make my day (presuming it's Bocking 14, as it's only the one plant and not throughout the plot?).  We were just talking about getting some!

ETA: Another pic:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 22:07 by KathyM »

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
New Plot

Started by fred-quimby on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 00:28
by morbidia
xx
new plot

Started by bunch29 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 07:10
by bunch29

Page created in 0.722 seconds with 36 queries.