Wanna be Henner

• 21 Replies

Jae Dawn

Wanna be Henner
« on: February 13, 2010, 15:12 »
Hi,

I have lived here in the UK for 7 years and have really wanted to have a small little veg patch and a small coup holding 2-3 hens.  My garden is pretty small and the neighborhood does have many cats.  Basically my garden is approximately 12 ft x 24ft with a garage to the side that is 6ft x 12ft so I have an L shaped like area (small area behind garage was going to use as the veg patch due to being able to fence off.

Do I need to contact the council to see if I am allowed to have chickens?  Was only thinking of having 2-3 of them due to small garden.  Or are you allowed chickens under a certain amount regardless? 

Was thinking about taking a chicken course so that I could find out some general things like what type of chickens you should have for a small coup and should you contact your neighbors beforehand even if you don't get a cockerel?  Sorry you all have probably answered these questions upteen times.  I did a search but couldn't find anything that related.  So sorry if there are duplicate questions on form that I didn't find.

Thanks for your help ...

Jae Dawn

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Wanna be Henner
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 15:17 »
Omlet do courses aimed at beginners and they are quite good, so there may be one near you - what area are you from? Is your house rented or privately owned Jae D? if rented some landlords do not allow chickens.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jae Dawn

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 15:23 »
  We own thank goodness.  I will check out the courses and see what info I can get.  I live in a culd-y-sac so do have neighbors on all sides.  I have wondered if I should talk to them before hand to see if they have any issues with the chickens.  But I wont have a cockerel due to the morning noise.

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 15:26 »
it's not just the morning noise, mine crow mid day and in the evening as well  :lol:
If you say to your neighbours that they will probably be given a few eggs as well (bribery works wonders :lol:) and that you will always keep the area clean and put the food securely away so as to not attract any vermin then they should have no problem I hope  :)

Jae Dawn

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 15:55 »
  So hens not cockerals crow in the morning.  God I really feel stupid now and yeah guessing that would put an end to my chickens.    :ohmy:

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 15:56 »
i think she means the cockerals crow all day, not the hens ::)

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 15:58 »
correct TMG although some of my hens also make a right noise when they have just laid  :D

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 16:52 »
Hi Jae  :)

Two or three hens will make far less noise than a dog or a couple of children ... so unless you tell them, your neighbours probably won't even notice you have them!

What else do you want to know?! Ask away ...

:D
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 16:55 »
Beulah you've not heard some of mine  :lol: :lol:

Jae Dawn

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 16:58 »
  Sorry got that confused haha    ::)

Does each town council have rules regarding farm animals aka: chickens being housed in residential housing?  If I tried to contact council any ideas as to what department to ask for to query the legalities of having a couple of hens?

Thanks again for all your help!

taximan

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 19:54 »
dont think they can stop u having poultry and they make very little noise apart from wrecking the garden

amckeen

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 20:19 »
As you own the house you should check the Land Registry Title Register to see if there is a restrictive covenant.  Such a covenant stops you from doing certain things on the property (such as running a business, doing anything that will cause a niusance, or keep livestock).

This is not touting for business for the Land Registry (yes I do work there), but if your solicitor did not give you the title register after you bought your house you can get a copy from www.landregistry.gov.uk by using the 'Find a Property' service.

On another tack, I would agree with what has been said above - your neighbours probably wouldn't notice a couple of hens (probably). 

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 21:26 »
Hi Jae, I never thought to ask my neighbours about whether they would be happy with us having chickens, we wanted them so we got them, no cockerals though couldn't cope with the racket myself, so would not inflict them on anyone else, and they are not necessary to get eggs anyway (as we first thought).  We have four hybrids and they make little noise, only occasionally after laying or if they see danger do they make a noise.  We do have rats though perhaps a couple, but we had them before we had the chickens (they live in the compost heaps), and neighbours know this.  We clean up a lot and keep food well protected, so don't see what neighbours could complain about, could do a bit of complaining about their racket sometimes though  :(

Jae Dawn

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 22:02 »
   I will have to  check with the land registry since my husband inherited the house and knowing him he is clueless about any particulars.  So thanks for the heads up on that.  As for asking neighbors well just thought I should but then thinking about it they didnt ask me when they got the multiple cats that treat my garden as their litter tray and dogs that bark and fight with each other from morning to evening.  Not to mention the pool / trampoline that the kids jump around in and scream all day long.  Guess I just would like to be a good neighbor.:blink:  ::)

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and advise.  I am definately going to sign up for a course.   :)

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 22:05 »
where abouts in the country are you Jae?

xx
don't wanna be left out.....

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 23:04
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 37 queries.