let talk about these cheap chinese rotavators on ebay

• 88 Replies

smud6ie

Re: let talk about these cheap chinese rotavators on ebay
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2010, 20:37 »
You! the edge of the tine closest to the axle should contact the ground first and wind its way to the tip.
smud6ie

yanto

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2010, 09:08 »
Thank you smud6ie. "the edge of the tine closest to the axle should contact the ground first and wind its way to the tip."
I think you are saying min200 picture is the right way round? Logical really, shallow bit first then follow deeper.

Plotbound

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2011, 16:36 »
Hi, I have just signed up for a 'new' 25m x 10m allotment today which is literally a part of a ploughed field. The soil/grass/weeds/boulders/et al have been turned over once by a farmer with a tractor/plough. I have read through this thread with interest as I need a 'cheaper' wheel driven rotovator of some sort to get on top of the plot.

I have a question (or two) for those of you who have bought the Chinese ones that are on Ebay. Firstly, are you still pleased with them? Secondly, the allotments car park is quite a long way from my plot (200 yards of rough land then 100 yards of smother private 'road'). Can the tines be taken off easily to allow the rotovator to be 'driven' by the wheels from trailer to plot without chewing up the road?

I thank you in advance for your answers.

Baz

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2011, 18:14 »
Not used mine yet this year but used it about for about 15+ sessions last year, no troubles so far

You could take the tines of, but its easier just to drive it on its rear metal skid, (adjustable for height) .......just occured to me, actually it wouldn't be to hard to fix a small wheel to the skid 'praps...

Mine in action-  -d1RFcux1Q4
Baz.........
Mostly organic...

Plotbound

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2011, 19:34 »
Thanks for your reply Baz. It certainly looks easy enough to control on your Youtube video. Is the speed regulated or can you make it go faster or slower using the throttle?

Baz

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 10:11 »
Yep, you can vary speed, but its not a "handlebar" control, the throttle lever is on the actual engine, meaning its advisable to halt the machine to adjust speed..........no big deal
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:17 by Baz »

smud6ie

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 15:52 »
The lack of a throttle cable and lever could be a cost cutting measure,If it were my machine I would be looking to add them which would be easy enough!
smud6ie

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2011, 17:07 »
Heres mine chap.  Its a Neilsen chinese import and its been fantastic.  Ive used it for work as well as the plot so no complaints at all!

Have a look here   http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50732.msg609451  to see the work its done today!

Hi Min, I tried to see the work and it wouldnt let me, it said its either been removed or Im not authorised to see it.

Can you explain please

thanks

Jools

EddieJ

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 19:20 »
I guess that you "pay your money and takes a chance"

Personally I wouldn't touch anything Chinese, be it a screwdriver upwards. I use tools and machinery for a living, and whilst the quality of branded products is starting to be questionable, they have four major things in their favour,  generally quality, warranty, parts and back up.
Backup being one thing that would put my off buying any new item of machinery on Ebay.

I wouldn't knock anyone for wanting to buy a Chinese rotovator, it just wouldn't be my choice.

Over the years I have grown to have a passion for the old Howard Gems. I have owned four to date, and I guess that I consider them to be the Series II and IIA Land Rover of the rotovator world. They have their quirks, need fettling but will always do the job and are slow, dependable and built to last.

This was the latest one, a Howard Super Gem in as new condition and only sold because the previous owner had died and it had sat untouched in the back of a garage for over 20yrs. It cost £550.00

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 19:22 by EddieJ »

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 21:03 »
Just to let you know I posted on the 30th of January regards my cheap Chinese rotavator in reply to ianlincs,subject rotavators.
I would have put my tale of woe here,but did'nt know about this thread.

vitoman

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 23:20 »
Hi all, I note the tale of woe, but do any other owners have any updates please. I have an old Landmaster rotary hoe (bought as a non runner), which is proving to be a PITA to fix so I am considering one of the chinese ones.

anthonypaul

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2011, 16:18 »
There seem to be two patterns of these rotavators on Ebay.

One has the forward and reverse on the right handlebar, and the drive is by enclosed Hutchinson belts.

The other has forward on both handlebars and the reverse is underneath and separate. The drive is by Vee belts.

Otherwise the machines are identical in appearance and similar in price

The difference is noted on  this Australian site:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-COMMERCIAL-CULTIVATOR-ROTARY-TILLER-GARDEN-HOE-/230579154969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35af96b019#ht_10276wt_905

It implies the single handlebar machine is better quality.

Are they different versions of the same machine?

Since I am saving up to get one, I am curious to know if there is really any difference

vitoman

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2011, 18:07 »
First thing which is apparent, despite the colour, is the Aussie one is 7.0hp not 6.5 hp, further searching does find the same one sided operation on ebay uk

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Petrol-6-5hp-Rotovator-Rotavator-Tiller-Cultivator-/220709381790?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item33634de69e

however it looks like the other except for the handlebar controls. As far as this one goes

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-COMMERCIAL-CULTIVATOR-ROTARY-TILLER-GARDEN-HOE-/230579154969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35af96b019#ht_10276wt_905

my guess is it is unavailable here, but I think i'll send a message and ask if they have any details of manufacturer etc.

Plotbound

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2011, 19:01 »
Does anyone know if there are any differences between the Maxtra 6.5hp and the Neilson 6.5hp models that are on Ebay or are they just the same rotavator with a different name?

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2011, 20:28 »
Hi all, I note the tale of woe, but do any other owners have any updates please. I have an old Landmaster rotary hoe (bought as a non runner), which is proving to be a PITA to fix so I am considering one of the chinese ones.
Hello Vitoman,which model of Landmaster do you have? I have 3 diffrent models all have been re built by myself,if I can be of any help just let me know.

xx
rotavators

Started by ianlincs on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 20:44
by ianlincs
xx
rotavators

Started by rotavator on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2015, 20:57
by rotavator
xx
Rotavators

Started by sweet nasturtium on Equipment Shed

65 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 20:41
by bigsprouts
xx
rotavators

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post March 21, 2009, 19:15
by Trillium

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 37 queries.