Owning a cockerel!

• 9 Replies

Brian Green fingers

Owning a cockerel!
« on: February 12, 2010, 23:17 »
Hi guys, I'm looking to introduce a cockerel to my 6 hens for breeding purposes & the fact that the kids want a boy chicken!! Unfortunately i live in a built up area and not sure how my neighbours would take it. Some of my hens can be quite noisey especially when thay've just layed, no one's complained to us yet.  Does anyone in a simelar situation to me own a rooster, and how do you get round it. ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Owning a cockerel!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 07:21 »
Hi BGF,
Neighbours generally think they look pretty but then at 04.30 in the morning suddenly decide that they don't like them. I have been told that you can put them in a cat basket over night so they can't stretch their necks to crow, but having just delivered a cockerel in a box to Foxy this isn't always the case as Bernard the cockerel was crowing loud and clear in his box. Have you given a thought to what you will do with the resulting young boys that will be born when you hatch eggs? Often you will get over 50% boys so just think that they can crow from 10 weeks onwards. I have 3 cockerels but no very close neighbours but when mine hatch anymore boys they are for the pot - often people do not want to take boys off your hands. If you still want to hatch why not buy fertile eggs and pop them under a broody hen - but remember they could all or some of them turn out to be boys!
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:16 »
I also had a cockerel that would crow in anot very deep box. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 13:04 »
My boys start their dawn chorus at 4am at the moment :)

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 13:49 »
wow, I'm lucky mine don't start till about 7am unless I am deafer than I thought  :lol:
Is Bernard still crowing away?  :D

mjd

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 18:29 »
As poultry has been breed into all sorts of shapes and sizes over the years, how about some of you lucky people able to breed, starting a project to breed a cockerel that doesn't crow.
Those of us with neighbours would be very happy to pay a premium for such a bird.  ;)

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 19:37 »
count me out as I just love to hear them crowing  :lol:

Brian Green fingers

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 20:20 »
I can see where you're coming from mjd definitely a niche in the market there.  ;)I'd rather have a cockrel that crows to be honest, although there's a chance i could change my mind after being awoken at 4am!! :wacko:

I see some people box them up at night, seems a tad cruel to me. Does it soften the 'crow' at all??

BillyMc

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 21:28 »
Hi Brian
I have fell "Fowl" of buying young birds as Pullets  ( many times ) Only to find out they are Cockerels, after weeks of rearing and TLC, then they start crowing  :ohmy: one of our neighbours did not complain but mentioned "Wasn't strange they start at the same time every morning ?" Feeling guilt and embarasment and not to upset anyone they went back to the local poultry market.
However, I have two young males left that have started to crow, but It aint that bad really and feel something I personally want to keep, Other neighbours have confessed It dont bother them, so i am waiting for the official letter through the letter box  ;)
The truth is the boys look good and are doing what they know best, You mention your chickens can be loud at times so go for it, The ladies will be pleased.  :D

Brian Green fingers

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 00:30 »
Hi Brian
I have fell "Fowl" of buying young birds as Pullets  ( many times ) Only to find out they are Cockerels, after weeks of rearing and TLC, then they start crowing  :ohmy: one of our neighbours did not complain but mentioned "Wasn't strange they start at the same time every morning ?" Feeling guilt and embarasment and not to upset anyone they went back to the local poultry market.
However, I have two young males left that have started to crow, but It aint that bad really and feel something I personally want to keep, Other neighbours have confessed It dont bother them, so i am waiting for the official letter through the letter box  ;)
The truth is the boys look good and are doing what they know best, You mention your chickens can be loud at times so go for it, The ladies will be pleased.  :D

Cheers BillyMc, I'm sure my ladies will be pleased!  ;) I might just do it!!!

xx
Looking for advice on owning chickens

Started by loscar on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 20:55
by GrannieAnnie
xx
ill cockerel

Started by andyoak on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 07:54
by andyoak
xx
Cockerel Box

Started by trinamc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 08:58
by trinamc
xx
cockerel

Started by judrop on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2009, 11:54
by joyfull

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 37 queries.