Seed compost

• 32 Replies

Trikidiki

Re: Seed compost
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 22:01 »
I've already mentioned the B&Q stuff I bought was absolutely FULL of slug eggs. I've also noticed that it drys out really quickly.

I think you'll find those slug eggs are a granular fertliser.

I panicked myself many years ago when they first started using it. Nearly went back to the GC to complain.

Lardman

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 00:05 »
I think you'll find those slug eggs are a granular fertliser.

.. nope these are definitely slug / snail eggs. Whether they're still viable or if they're been irradiated - I don't know.

RuthinBrum

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 00:09 »
I toddled in to B&Q today. They are selling 70 litre bags of Multipurpose: "An economic, peat based, all-purpose compost for general use indoors and outdoors. Suitable for sowing seeds, rooting cuttings, transplanting seedlings, potting up containers and baskets and planting out in the garden" at 3 for £10.
It's beautiful, black, fine-looking compost, and a reasonable price. I have stacks of seeds to start, and time is passing... so fingers crossed!

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 09:41 »
Thats what mine was ruth, mine was much later in the season.  Perhaps they put it out borfor it was time last year. Hope it works well for you.
Thanks
Kris

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 09:43 »
I've always used John Innes No. 1 but that was just for growing small amounts for a garden. Now I have a lotty I am going to need loads this year, so I posted a query a couple of weeks back.

I got some good advice on the forum about peat-free alternatives and I've just bought some New Horizon Peat-Free.  I found an old Gardening Which? survey which thought it was a good compost so I'm willing to give it a go.  I have been advised by others here to sieve it though.
Penny
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 11:31 »
I toddled in to B&Q today. They are selling 70 litre bags of Multipurpose: "An economic, peat based, all-purpose compost for general use indoors and outdoors. Suitable for sowing seeds, rooting cuttings, transplanting seedlings, potting up containers and baskets and planting out in the garden" at 3 for £10.
It's beautiful, black, fine-looking compost, and a reasonable price. I have stacks of seeds to start, and time is passing... so fingers crossed!

We'll have to compare our results later on in the season  :)  I suggested it as a result of a newspaper article so I hope it's ok   :blink:

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 11:34 »
I use a finely sieved JAB John Innes Seed.

Ive also used just plain sieved loam. Its not like you need any nutrients in it.

New Horizon is also a JAB product, but i like the fineness of the JI.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:38 by BostonInbred »

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 16:07 »
In the past I've always used a general purpose for seeds, but this year I thought I'd do things properly and bought some John Innes seed compost. Not very impressed with it though, it has as many lumpy bits in it as the general purpose stuff. I'm still having to sieve it.

However, I did go to my local Wyevale today and bought 4 X 70l bags of JAB general purpose for £12, which is a bargain. That particular offer only applies to Gardening Club members, but if you're not already a member all you have to do is fill in a form at the till and you're an instant member.

randombod

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 16:17 »
i just got 10 bags for the b&q compost at £1 for 20lts so i didnt think that was too bad as i paid £10 for 3 100lt bags last year and i have never had a problem with it ... just need to remember the permiculite from wilkos and its great

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 16:21 »
So you're quite pleased that you got 200 litres for a tenner, whereas you got 300 last year?

Mmmmmm.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 16:28 »
Another possible medium you can use is fine grade bark. A lot of professional growers use this, and it works well with large seeds because it fairly open.

neal

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 16:36 »
I think we will find all peat products are up in price this year.
But i can't understand the point in man handeling 10 x 20lt bags for £10
when you can get 3 x 70lt bags for the same price at the same outlet

swampyphill

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 17:35 »
Hi, imagine if you are on a limited budget as allotment holders are I suggest you try 'Lidle Store' Multi Compost, unfortunately with environmental concerns I have found uncomposted recycled bits in B@Q, Focus bales due to 'bulking' with recycled waste, thats the stuff that goes in the green skips at the council depots to you and me! this is subsequently heat treated and has little nutritional value to plants and agents in additions to cheaper composts.
Bite the bullet, and pay top monty price, try liddel or purchace a compost bin and start the process with time, not money
Hope this helps
Swampyphill

randombod

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 17:41 »
So you're quite pleased that you got 200 litres for a tenner, whereas you got 300 last year?

Mmmmmm.

i am actually as this is better stuff i threw most of last years away it was poor

randombod

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 17:43 »
I think we will find all peat products are up in price this year.
But i can't understand the point in man handeling 10 x 20lt bags for £10
when you can get 3 x 70lt bags for the same price at the same outlet

i like the little bags to be honest as i find them easier to use and transport about on my own

xx
Seed compost

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 22, 2013, 11:40
by mumofstig
xx
seed compost

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 00:51
by Trillium
xx
Could my seed compost be too dry?

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 25, 2012, 12:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Seed compost?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2022, 13:10
by Goosegirl

Page created in 1.202 seconds with 36 queries.