My hen lays eggs with no shell - is this harmful to her?

• 4 Replies

Willbos

Hi

I am new to this site but have found the things that I have read so far very useful. As such I wondered if anyone can give me some advice?

I have 6 hens (ex free range farm hens) who live happily in our garden.  One of them has been laying eggs with no shell at all (just yolk) - our vet thought she may have an infection so she has been on baytril for the last week which she HATES taking, but she is still laying yolks every 2 days or so.  She seems fine in herself and is eating well and running about - but does have what looks like a bit of a sore vent (although it doesn't seem to bother her at all).

As my hens are pets really I am not bothered if she never lays another useable egg again, but I am concerned for her health and well being, and wondered if this will actually cause her harm at all.  she has a good balanced diet of layers pellets, greens, oats and seed / pasta as treats, as well as access to grit and oystershell all this time.

She is a lovely little hen and I would be very sad if I was causing her damage by letting her live in this way!

Any help really appreciated!!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:30 by Willbos »

compostqueen

Re: My hen lays eggs with no shell - is this harmful to her?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:14 »
Hi there

I think most hens have problems with "softies" now and again, and it can get them down a bit, and they can go off colour a bit during this time.  If they're fed well, and yours clearly are, then I'd not worry too much.

Have a read on here as there is a whole section on chook health and I feel sure that this subject is covered in depth

To ensure good egg shell strength they need good quality oyster shell grit such as OSTREA (it says it on the bag so you can be sure), they like live natural yogurt and you can add this to a bowl of grated carrot and cucumber etc (whatever their fave food is).  They love the stuff and will eat it quite happily. Have some yourself  :D

If the situation gets worse then there are other further treatments which the experts on here can tell you about

Willbos

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 13:22 »
Thanks so much for your reply - I did not expect to get one so soon!!!  Have had a good look on the site and there is lots of useful info here....I think I may just fall into the category of worries chicken keepers.....which I guess is quite a large category!!

I am now presuming that while my little hen is happy I don't need to worry too much about the shell-less eggs as long as she has o other symptoms.  And I will certainly try to yoghurt meal with her, and check that our oyster shell is high grade.

Once again thanks for your help - I just want to know that I am doing my best for my chooks and that I am not being unfair to them in any way.

I thought chickens were meant to be easy.......!!!!!!!! :ohmy:

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:38 »
It generally is  :)

There is also a thread on here I think about the medicine chest you should have, basic stuff that you might need to cover all eventualities  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 14:21 »
oyster shell (or even washed, baked and then crushed egg shells) should be available at all times as they need the calcium. If this still fails then get some limestone powder and feed it to her (easier on a grape). If she has an egg break inside her it could lead to an internal infection, so best to help her get over this.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Who lays blue eggs

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 09:17
by Sassy
xx
Lays eggs on the floor.

Started by BML on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 18, 2011, 11:56
by Lewjam
xx
What breed lays the largest eggs?

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 23:18
by daz
xx
shell less eggs and partly shelled eggs

Started by symonep on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 19:42
by symonep

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 37 queries.