Question for (primarily) anyone with children

• 15 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Question for (primarily) anyone with children
« on: February 11, 2010, 16:47 »
Hi all,

Just wondering what your view is on schools with farms (or lack of).

I think more should be done to promote awareness about where different things come from, as well as offering the kids a chance to handle animals, make their own produce.

Hey, you could even sell eggs at the school shop for the parents.

The reason I'm asking primarily for parents is to see if you would have any objection to your children having a school farm.  Perhaps disease, illness, getting upset when the fox comes etc?

Any thoughts appreciated...

Nikkithefoot

Re: Question for (primarily) anyone with children
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 17:20 »
I personally don't have any problem with school farms. I live in a rural area and my kids are fully aware where their food comes from anyway (ages 15, 9, and 7). They have been plucking and drawing pheasant when we have been given some, and gutting and preparing fish since they were tiny.  Also have had venison on occasion as we know someone who participates in the culling of deer locally.
I think we are very lucky to have had the opportunity to have access to such things.
We also have chickens and until recently horses too, as well as the usual dogs rabbits, hamsters, etc etc.

Handling animals is common sense, but care does also need to be taken as some animals carry diseases which can affect humans if appropriate precautions are not taken ie washing hands after handling them and before eating.

Yes they get upset when an animal (pet) dies, but they also respect that in order to eat meat that an animal is slaughtered. They have also seen the slaughter process on TV, supervised by me and OH and were given the opportunity to discuss what was going on. I realise that some folks will be horrified to read this, but it was appropriate for my children at the time.

More should be done IMHO to be more open about food production so people can make informed choices, however it seems that only those who actually care about this are doing something about it. There will always be the group that aren't interested for whatever reason and no matter how much you try and promote it, it won't actually change things for them.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

matilda duck

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 17:22 »
Well it's good in theory. I'm trying to get the school to have a few chickens & ducks. I had to take 2 ducks into school for nursery and reception(oh the hardship) :D  the chldren adored them. They were allowed to handle them , feed them, ect. Even the teacher said it was wonderful and so theraputic. I took them to a classroom where the children with special circumstances work, they were different children. They loved the ducks and got unconditional love back no questions asked.
I took them into my sons class yr4 oh my what a performance! The TA was running round giving everyone gel to put on their hands ...don't touch ect?? Completly bizzare.

I'm not sure if you could sell the eggs.  I personally think it's good to try though.
Oh and holidays don't forget them.

madcat

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 17:24 »
See the story all over todays press about the headmistress and the lamb.  Then wonder about the parents, the school council, the governors, the line between pet and smallholding and how the story has been reported/simplified .....   ???  I don't know the background or the answer, but this is sensitive ground. :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 17:38 »
Thanks for your posts.  I think it's essential that more children are given the opportunity to do this.  There seems to be a generation, soon becoming two generations, where people don't really care - it's all about fast food, unhealthy or not.  And brands.

Many people can't have pets for a whole host of reasons and I think that to give the children the chance to get some reward as well as an education on the food production methods is the only way we can improve what the following few generations think.

Agreed though that the chain of dissapprovers would be endless... pity really.

Still - I plan to give it a go.  I think it's lovely that you took the ducks in matida_duck, a good idea and perhaps I could test the water doing something similar.

I recently heard one child being asked where milk comes from, the reply was "the supermarket".  Conerning...

matilda duck

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 17:39 »
This is true, but then ask children where beef comes from and they will all say "the supermarket".
This story has been rumbling on, but the harsh reality is this IS where food comes from. If that upsets a few parents then I'm sorry but they need to think what they are eating!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 17:44 »
We're in the middle of a city ... would love the children to have opportunity to see the animals (and the crops) grow ... not just the occasional visit.

A local project runs an allotment ... getting bigger all the time ... but so dependent on funding.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

madcat

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 17:47 »
Sorry, I meant to put this on my last post.

I dont know where you are from but one of our local secondary schools has a farm attached website here which does NVQs for students and outreach to other schools, both as visits and longer term association.  If it isn't too far, it might be worth exploring as a first step?  Or as an information resource??

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 17:53 »
An in Newport Pagnell so not too far at all.  Am initially looking to set something up at a couple of local 'middle' schools as we call them (upper primary I guess).  Banbury isn't too far so thank you very much for the link - I'll get in touch with them and perhaps arrange a visit.

Thank you!

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 19:38 »
I live in a city and when i was at school we had ducks that we saw grow up from little balls of fluff . We also had frogs,fish , tadpoles , hamsters and many more . The best bit was half term when we got to take one home if we were lucky enough to be selected ofcourse . I only ended up with tadpoles but still loved the experience of watching them grow .
 I know all my little girls friends love coming round from nursery to see our chickens but we all know health and safety is rammed down our throats these days so unfortunately i cant see it being allowed in many schools which is a sad sad shame .

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 20:22 »
Hello there,
I am a parent of primary aged children and also a primary teacher, I think anything that enriches and widens children learning should be embraced. Life and death is something we all have to come to terms with, and if we can learn to deal with it a young age in a supportive environment all the better for fully rounded adults of the future.

It is vital though that the school is fully prepared, so the animals don't suffer and are fully cared for in the holidays. Some parents may take issue - there is always one. :nowink: The involvement with animals could be voluntary initially, a lunchtime care club, then when established it could be widened. If your going for hens, do make sure the run is covered, just in case bird flu becomes high profile again.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 23:03 by chuckmum »

janet12000

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 21:06 »
Every year at my sons school, 'the animal man' comes to visit. He brings snakes and owls etc.
Anyway, we had the usual letter home the other day asking for permission for Jacob to participate in the session. I obviously ticked the yes box. I was talking to him about it and he said it was lovely when the animal man came because there was only a few kids in the hall, and they got to hold the animals.
Apparently the majority of parents refuse to let their kids take part! Shocking.

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 08:39 »
I personally think it is a no brainer. Any animals in school can only be educational if done properly and most parts of the curriculum can be introduced by any teacher worth their salt. Even arithmetic, graphs etc. Having animals teaches responsibility, accountability and as has already been mentioned can, very much, help those with learning difficulties.

I now live in a rural area and some of the local primary schools do have chickens and they seem to have gone down very well.

There is too much nonsense talked about animals and germs. Common sense should apply but many adults are just ignorant.

I recently culled some young cockerels that I had hatched to eat and got asked by three different people "can you eat cockerels?"! And that is living in a rural area.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now ;) :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 08:50 »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies - I'm glad I'm not the only one (although, am probably asking a biased audience.....)

I completely agree with all of your points and it's refreshing to know that there are still some people out there who think it's important.

Sassy, I agree that curriculum can be introduced to the keep of animals; budgeting, feed measurements, anything really.

I'll try and visit a couple of school who do have farms and take if from there... will keep you posted!!

ruralczech

• Walnut Tree Farm B&B Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 09:54 »
I think its a great idea for children to be involved with animals AND knowing where they're food comes from. I moved from a city in the UK where the only contact children had with animals was pets to a small village in South Bohemia where almost every home has chickens,ducks and rabbits for food plus a large vegetable garden. I have two children who now not only know where they're food comes from but how to grow or look after it and I think an opportunity for children in the Uk to learn more and have contact with animals shouldn't be over looked.

xx
Ducks and children

Started by SocksOn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 23:05
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Children and chickens

Started by Jane Vennik on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 15, 2007, 00:21
by Tensing
xx
children and chicken poo

Started by dalesman on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 17:02
by chookiepaula
xx
Help! Poorly children

Started by adw on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 03, 2007, 11:33
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 36 queries.